General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
89F / 32C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 15m 35s
Overall Rank = 38/696
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/78
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:00 and ate breakfast at the hotel, a bagel with peanut butter and a bowl of oatmeal. Drank some coffee, and got dressed. Packed the Jeep and left for the race site. Got there around 5:15 an the park was already open parked and got in line to get body marked the set up transition. Was a little nervous as this was my first HIM.
Event warmup:

Went for a short 10 min run around the park and then hit the portas one last time. Had the keys to the Jeep and was trying to find the fam to hand them off but I no see them. Finally got in the water for my wave and finaaly spotted them and gave them my keys.
Swim
  • 26m 17s
  • 1931 meters
  • 01m 22s / 100 meters
Comments:

Cannot complain about this swim pushed it a little but never felt like I was going into the red. Stayed long and smooth. The new speedzoot is sweet, it will be great for texas races. Overall happy with the swim
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

Happy with T1

Nothing
Bike
  • 2h 36m 6s
  • 56.99 miles
  • 21.91 mile/hr
Comments:

Well the bike course was a little different than the one I pre rode, but there really wasn't all that much difference except it was a little longer. Started out on the small ring and just spun until I hit 290. Then I switched to the big ring and just kept a nice smooth steady cadence. I felt really good on the bike and all was going well until I hit the mile 42ish aid station. This is where I learned an important lesson. I pointed at the volunteer for water and missed the first bottle. So I went for the next bottle with the next volunteer, I had slowed considerably but the fun was just about to begin. As I reached for the second bottle I entered the dreaded wet road area, well I missed the second bottle and when I did it caused me to skid just enough so that I wiped and had a slip and slide moment with the asphalt. When I came to a halt all the volunteers came running and were apologizing, I told them don't worry and went and grabbed my bike. Well in the course of the spill the chain came off so I took the next few moments to gather myself and get the chain back on. Grabbed a bottle of water from a volunteer and refilled my aerodrink. Well after that fiasco my left leg suffered some road rash, from the hip to the knee, plus a scrape on my left elbow, and some scrapes on my ribcage. Amazingly enough my tri shorts look none the worse for wear, my leg however is a different story. The reat of the ride was pretty uneventful accept for me cursing the wipe out, oh well lesson learned avoid wet pavement at bottle hand ups.

Duh, not wipe out at the aid station although it will be a painful reminder for future races.
Transition 2
  • 00m 57s
Comments:

Good T2

Nothing
Run
  • 2h 10m 37s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Horrible run. The running around the day before and lack of liquids consumed caught up to me. The first three miles felt great and as I looked at my watch at mile 1 I was 6:44, then mile 2 was 7:00, and mile 3 was 7:15, after that it was all downhill. I had a hard time keeping the fluids at the aid stations down, and the rest of the run ended up being a run walk.

Did not drink enough the day before the race 32 oz of water and 32 oz of nuun all day just aint enough. Another lesson learned for these longer races.
Post race
Warm down:

Got to the finish and then went to the medical tent to get the leg looked at. they rinsed it with saline I think and I almost punched the doc it hurt so bad. After resting for a bit I got up and felt dizzy so I went back and got and IV, I felt a lot better after that.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wiping out on the bike, not having any experience at this distance, not drinking enough the day before the race. All in all a good race for my first HIM. Definetly a lot of lessons learned from this race.

Event comments:

All in all this was an excellent race. Very well organized with lots of volunteers, and tons of aid stations. This will definetly be on my calander again next year. Props to Keith and all of his endorfun team.

Last updated: 2007-07-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:17 | 1931 meters | 01m 22s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/78
Overall: 1/696
Performance: Good
Suit: Zoot ultra speedzoot
Course: Triangle course
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:36
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:36:06 | 56.99 miles | 21.91 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/78
Overall: 37/696
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: 1 Lap through the Texas hill country
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 100
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:10:37 | 13.1 miles | 09m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/78
Overall: 182/696
Performance: Bad
Course: 2 laps aeound park
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-09 7:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Round Rock, Texas
Subject: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron

2007-10-09 8:20 PM
in reply to: #999733

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron
Rob,

Awesome job out there. Yes, that leg looked really bad and painful. The run took its toll on lot of us. Really nice time for your first HIM. Your 26 minute swim... that is smokin and a really solid bike. Watch out next season.
2007-10-09 8:21 PM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
sorry about the spill but you still turned in a good race. your swim is top notch and i know you can bike and run with the top AGers so no worries. work on that nutrition and keep upright and you will be the one to beat next year. great first season and i am sure there will be better ones to follow. heal that leg and enjoy some rest!
2007-10-09 8:58 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
hey great race out there,, were you compeating with clint for the best wipe out at an aid station??
2007-10-10 11:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Sure wish I could swim like that. Great race!

Now that you've experienced your first HIM you'll know what you can change next time. I learned I can go harder on the bike and still have something left for the run. I just need to be able to swim.
2007-10-11 1:04 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Ouch!  Yep, I think your wipeout was a bit more painful than mine.  But good to see you came up without any serious injury.

That's one fast time for your first HIM!  Nice racing!

Congrats!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed