United States
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 13m 52s
Overall Rank = 1791/7226
Age Group = Males <21
Age Group Rank = 47/127
Pre-race routine:

Woke up, ate a bagel and yogurt. Then proceeded to the race site.
Event warmup:

Just tried to stay off my feet. As well I took some of the sport beans and a gel 20 mins before the race started.
Run
  • 4h 13m 52s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

The race went pretty well I thought. Miles 1-16 went really well. I felt really good, was taking in the right amounts of water, and was staying cool. Miles 16-21 I started to walk for 30-60 secs everytime I would pass a mile marker. Looking back I'm not sure why I did this except to give my body a chance to cool off a little. Miles 22-25 consisted of a more walking but I still managing to run quite a bit. I started to feel dehydrated during these miles as well and the muscles in my leg tightened up and wanted to cramp. Mile 26 was the best feeling in the world. I told myself I was going to run the whole mile and not walk one step. Once I was able to see the capitol (finish line) an amazing feeling rushed through me. And then running down the final stretch seeing all the people cheering like crazy and then seeing my family was awesome.

I have been trying hard to get my dad to start working out to get his weight to a healthier weight. He was at 247 when I got home last spring from college and that blew my mind. He has managed to get himself down to 215 now. After the race though I asked him if he would do it next year with me and at first he said "No way" but then a little later he said well we'll see once I get my weight a little lower and start running (right now he is doing elliptical training to save on his knees due to his high weight) again I might be up for doing that or either a half-marathon with me. It was awesome to hear him indirectly tell me that all the training I am doing has influenced him and got him back on the right track.
What would you do differently?:

Train harder, just so I can be faster in the future.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked through the finish chute and then managed to find my family. Stretched and got some food in me, and then we headed back home due to the 5+ hour drive we had home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just not knowing the extreme of doing a marathon. Knowledge and experience is priceless.

Event comments:

Great race!! I want to make this an annual race I do!!

Last updated: 2007-07-25 12:00 AM
Running
04:13:52 | 26.2 miles | 09m 41s  min/mile
Age Group: 47/127
Overall: 1291/7226
Performance: Good
Course: The course was a beautiful route that wound around lakes, had some good stretches of hills and flats.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-11 4:21 PM

Veteran
North Dakota
Subject: Twin Cities Marathon

2008-04-30 10:10 AM
in reply to: #1003525

User image

Expert
Lakeville, MN
Subject: RE: Twin Cities Marathon
great job!  I think it is the best feeling in the world when our psycotic amounts of training lead to others wanting to at least start and maintain a healthier lifstyle
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Twin Cities Marathon Rss Feed