General Discussion Race Reports! » The Rocky Point Sandy Beach Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

The Rocky Point Sandy Beach Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Puerto Penasco ,
Mexico
Tri Family Racing
Total Time = 1h 24m
Overall Rank = 14/?
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Pre-race routine:

Ate half a bagel, some accelarade and a nanner. Set up transition and got ready. Questioned my pre race dinner the night before of Chile Relano, chips and salsa, Dos Equis and half of my Gf's fish.
Event warmup:

Plenty of time to warm up since the race started ohhhh about 2 1/2 hrs late. The event planers wanted to have the tide in before setting the bouys since they feared the bouys might move or make the swim longer. It took them about 15 minutes to set all the bouys, only a sunamui would have moved them in 15 minutes.
Anyhooo... got some swimming in, about 100 yds or so.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 437 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Stayed way too far out. I probably swam an extra 100 due to poor navagaiton. I held back too much, I still had way too much left at the end of the swim. I was still towrds the front of the pack, so not too bad. I got pinned in the middle of the swim beteween two swimmers. One that wanted to go out and one that wanted to come in. A little of confusion, but onece they stopped to see where they were at, I got out in front.
What would you do differently?:

Swim harder, sight better, cut closer and sleep in an extra hour or so.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

No Transiton times. It was all wraped into the swim, bike and run. Since it was a 200yd run up the beach, the sand had to be rinsed off my feet. I think the transition was slow, transitions on black top seem to slow me down.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 12 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Two laps with steeeeeep hill right before the turnaround. Then, there was a sharp turn after you come down, so it didn't benift anyone. Since the course took us north, south, east and west; the wind would help and then kick our @ss. The first and last of the bike was within the Las Palmas / Prinsessa community which was all pavers. It was a pretty ruff ride. The entire course had sand, and was not swept. Most of the course the sand could be avoided, but swerving and manurvering was nessarry. On a few spots, it was hold on, and hope for the best. I was on the course longer than expected, and ran out of water with about 2 - 3 miles to go. I still passed people and never got passed. Had to stay tucked to keep out of the wind... Tuff ride.

Pray to the wind gods to take a day off. Pack a little more water, and tighten the cleats on my shoes (screws came out and broke one)
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

No transiton times. I broke a cleat, and was beat. Had a little conversation with someone who was parked by the transion. I think I was just bying time. I was beat. Got the shoes on, grabed the water and was off.

I would have had a beer in the transition.
Run
  • 00m
  • 2 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I hate Sand!!! Since we started late, the tide had made it's way in and packed sand was nowhere to be found. The closest thing was running where the waves came in. This posed a problem since there were hundereds posiblby thousdands of people on the beach in the 1 MILE streach. I had to dodge kids running to the ocean, sand castles, holes dug and the ocean. I got nailed by a few waves about half way thru the course. My shoes filled with sand and water and felt like they weighed 10 lbs. This was the worst run. If the race would have gone off on time, we would have been running on packed sand and away from peoples beach set up's. Plus, it was mid day by the time we got around to the run, so it was HOT. They said the distance was 2 miles, but it seemed closer to 3.?.? Plus the people in the transiton said they had changed it. On the plus side, lots of chicks in Bikini's.

Run without shoes on the beach.
Post race
Warm down:

Puke, catch my breath and drink beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The beach, the wind, the time of day.

Event comments:

It was really un orginized. I might be bashing them?.? I didn't care as much about our race going off on time as much as the kids race. I did't see the bike portion, but on the swim there was conflicting instrucitons. The told the kids to swim out, around and come back into shore. This is what one of the kids did who was out in front. I think they changed thier mind half way and only made them come to where they could stand. This poor kid was out in front and swam all the way in and then was sent back to finish. He was still faster than the others and ended up kicking butt. (The Hermisillo Team)

Last updated: 2007-10-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 437 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/?
Performance: Average
Suit: None, just jammers.
Course: Beach start, out to the bouy, left and paralell the beach and left back in. Run up the sandy beach to the transition area. Dont know what the time is yet, because like the race, they are late to get the official times posted on the net.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:00:00 | 12 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 02 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Couse Sucked. The wind was still an issue, the first half of the run was mostly up hill and then the final 1 mile streach was in sand on the beach, not marked off.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2007-10-12 9:30 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: The Rocky Point Sandy Beach Sprint Triathlon

2007-10-12 3:45 PM
in reply to: #1004366

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: The Rocky Point Sandy Beach Sprint Triathlon

Wow! I heard from a friend who was down there that it was pretty disorganized. I have done quite a few of their races but I was surprised that they were tackling a tri in Mexico.

Sounds like you did a great job of making it through though , Soma will seem very easy and organized compared to that  

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Rocky Point Sandy Beach Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed