General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Pumpkin Duathlon - Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Great Pumpkin Duathlon - Sprint - DuathlonStandard

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Rochester, Michigan
United States
http://www.3disciplines.com/index.php?option=com_events&task=view_detail&agid=24&year=2006&month=10&day=08&Itemid=0
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 26m
Overall Rank = 7/49
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 2/4
Event warmup:

Went for a short ride on the bike just to work through the gears. Did about fifteen minutes of easy running with a few accelerations upto race pace.
Run
  • 22m 13s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

Plan was to take the first run out kind of fast but try to keep the heart rate reasonable. This was a small race so there was no problem finding running room.

Came to the first aid station in 5:15 (this was supposed to be a mile--there's no way I ran this fast). Grabbed water at this aid station and settled in with a pack of people. Hit the second aid station in 13:30 (around two miles). It was 80 degrees out so I grabbed a water here and dumped it on my head.

Maintained a pretty steady pace to the transition area. Slowed up a bit on the last two uphills as I didn't want the heart rate getting too out of control.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, executed to plan.
Transition 1
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Overall a decent transistion. Got the shoes changed and helmet on without any incident. Mount area was kind of a disaster area. It was on an uphill and people we're literally falling over because they left their bike in too high of a gear and couldn't get moving. Navigated this without any incident.

Nothing, this was a smooth transition.
Bike
  • 39m 9s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.39 mile/hr
Comments:

The first (and biggest) climb is right out of transition. I got an immediate reminder that I have done very little hill training on the bike--had to shift into my smallest (I have a triple) front ring to make it up this hill. The downhill sure was fun though--topped out at about 41mph.

Wind kind of picked up in the middle section of the course. Was not able to stay in the big chain ring (even on the flats and rollers) so I just spun in the middle ring.

Picked up the effort a bit on the last third of the course (even came out of the saddle on one of the climbs). Overall, this was a decent ride, although I gave up six positions.

During the race, nothing. Marathon training has encompassed most of my training time and have not been riding the bike enough (let alone training on hills). Need to step up my bike training next year as I have been giving quite a few positions here.
Transition 2
  • 00m 41s
Comments:

Uneventful transition.

Really need to find a quick lace system that will get my shoes tight enough. I am giving up at least twenty seconds in T2 by having to tie my shoes.
Run
  • 24m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Going into this race didn't really have any plan or goal for the second run. When I left transition, decided that my goal would be to make up the six spots that I lost on the bike.

Picked off two people within the first quarter of mile and another right before the aid station. Slurped down a caffinated gel and water at the aid station. Tried to throw another glass of water in my face but missed and ended up throwing it on my chest (coordination has never been my strong suit).

Picked off two more runners before the seond aid station. Took in a glass of gatorade and set my sites on the last runner. Overtook him with about a half mile to go. With about a quarter mile to go it was preety obvious that I was not going to pass anybody else, and I didn't think anybody was going to pass me, so I started shutting it down and cruised across the finish line.

Defainately could have pushed harder on this run--had a lot left in the tank but I did not want to risk an injury--Detroit Marathon is just two weeks away.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for a bit to cool off (thought about going for a swim but there were 'No Swimming' signs posted everywhere). Grabbed some food, and then walked back on the run course to find a shady spot to cheer on the other runners.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing this race was just for fun and I still beat my time from last year.

Event comments:

This was a great race at a great venue (3 Disciplines usually puts on a good event).

Last updated: 2007-09-27 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:13 | 03.11 miles | 07m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 11/49
Performance: Good
Course: Terrain was literally a little bit of everything (pavement, grass, gravel, trail). Mostly flat with a few short, but very steep, climbs.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:50
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Good
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:39:09 | 12 miles | 18.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 15/49
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Rolling course in and around Kensington metro park. Inside the park there are three significant climbs.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:41
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average