General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
92F / 33C
Total Time = 7h 02m 27s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 34/54
Pre-race routine:

Drove down to Austin on Friday and scoped out the course with Raegan, maurice, and Kelley. I had been battling a strange stomach bug for a week that caused stomach cramping, and general stomach discomfort. So, it was still going on at this time, and i was wondering if I should even be doing the race. i thought I would assess day by day (even though I really only had one day left.) On Sat., we did a short run through of all three sports. On the bike, my stomach still felt awful, but it felt slightly better with the short run/walk. Thankfully, by the time we did a short swim aroound 1:00pm, and picked up our pkts, it felt back to normal. I then knew I would be fine for the race as long as a didn't set any time goals and push myself too hard. Believe me, after having stomach pains for a whole week, the last thing I wanted to do was to bring it back and suffer with it again!
We met up with all of the BTers for dinner on Saturday night, which was great! Thanks to Marcy (dodgersmom) for arranging it! Then, it was back to the hotel to get my nutrition rady and get to bed!
Event warmup:

Woke up early and had to force down a bagel with peanut butter. I just can't eat sooo early in the morning! My stomach felt full even before I started eating it. We picked up David (davidb) on our way out to the race sitew. I liked having the bikes already at transition, so that all I had to worry about was all of my other gear. I got my transition area ready and stood around socializing. I kept getting ants on me, and getting bit. I started to look around my area and noticed that I had laid my transition towel (just a corner) over an ant bed. They were swarming! So, I moved my towel and rearranged my stuff in hopes that they would calm down. I ended up not having a problem with the ants, but I did hear of someone else getting back after the swim and his shoes had ants all over them. A group of us then walked down to the swim start. Raegan's group was the first to go, so I saw him off. Man, my nervousness and excitement was just building up in me! I felt like I could just explode (which thankfully I didn't!) :)
Swim
  • 49m 51s
  • 1931 meters
  • 02m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

I had a great swim!!! my times seem a little slow compared to what i usually do, but regardless of that, I loved my swim! i really do love open water swimming A LOT better than pool swimming. i sighted really well to the first two buoys, then rounded the second buoy and couldn't quite see the next buoy. After trading water for a few seconds to find the buoy, I decided to just swim in the direction of everyone else I hope that i would catch sight of it after while. i finally started to sight to what i thought was the buoy, but it turns out that it wasn't. Fortunately, it wsn't that far off the real buoy. So, my sighting on the backside of the swim course wasn't very good. I found that I kept swimming to the inside too much and would have to correct myself. Then, all of a sudden i get engulfed by the wave behind me- all men. That kind of spiked my hr a little. I got kicked once, but not too bad. I found my rhythm again and continued on my way. I think that my sighting for the rest of the course was pretty good- maybe it was a little bit too much to the inside on the last stretch. i felt so comfortable during the swim, that if i had to, I could have easily kept going!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I had a good swim. This race wasn't about speed to me, so I'm even happy with my slower than normal time.
Transition 1
  • 04m 19s
Comments:

Like i just mentioned, this race was not about how fast I could be. it was about enjoying myself and the experience. So, I walked up the hill to transition and then started to run when i got to the top. I took my time rinsing off my feet, putting on my gloves, and redoing my pony tail. :) Then, I ran off with my bike to the mount line.

Nothing- i could have been faster, but what would the point have been!
Bike
  • 3h 13m 55s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.33 mile/hr
Comments:

I took it nice and easy on this ride. I wasn't planning on pushing myself. I just wanted to have fun and enjoy the ride! Craig (docshock0 passed me before we even got to 290. I was expecting Kelley (mom23) to pass me at any time, too. She ended up passing me about 20 miles into it. Aside from them, i didn't see anyone else on the bike course that i knew. My plan was to stop and rest for a minute while taking in some of my perpetuem. So, i did that 3 times during the course of the ride, and i also stopped once to refill my gatorade. I figured what's a minute in the whole scheme of things. I easily spun up the hills in my small ring and just kept a comfortable pace the entire way. At times I would think that maybe I should pick up my effort, but then I would remind myself to stick with my plan of viewing this as an event and not a race- just enjoy it! It took a lot of self discipline to keep myself in check and not to just get caught up in the moment and go all out! It was hard, but my main goal was to finish feeling good, happy, and able to enjoy the rest of the day. Even the last hills didn't bother me. i just spun up them in an easy gear and got my legs ready for the run.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 02m 31s
Comments:

Once I dismounted, my legs felt like jello. I thought for sure i would fall if I tried to run with my bike, so i walked it at first. i then ran it to my spot, and got on all of my running gear. I had decided to wear my water belt, so that I could drink whenever I wanted to on the course, and not just at the aid stations. So, I had that to put on, my hat, running shoes, race number, etc... I ran out of transition.

nothing
Run
  • 2h 51m 50s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 13m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

Starting this run, my legs felt so tired! I also knew it was going to be a HOT run! As I was running through the park, I saw Raegan (my hubby, rgill) approaching me, so we stopped, gave each other a kiss, and then we were both on our ways again. Aside from heavy legs, I felt pretty good. I said a quick hello to Craig as he was returning back to the park on his first loop. Then, the hills started. How cruel!! I felt good until the uphill, so then I walked up it. I saw Karen (KSH) walking up ahead of me, so I decided to run up to her and walk with her for a couple of minutes. We parted ways and I continued my run/ walk. I was tired, but feeling good. As I was heading towards the turn around by the expo, i saw Kelley walking on the other side of the road. She told me to keep running and catch up to her. I continued on my run, and then realized that there was no way I would be able to catch up to her, because I had to walk more. So, i just started to do my walk/ run thing again- I was just taking it easy. i did start to feel a little cramp in my stomach, so I started to walk a little more, because I DID NOT want my stomach to hurt (flashback to the past week of stomach pains). I kept with the walking and my stomach felt good once again. During this time, David (davidb) caught up to me on that hill from Hell, and walked with me for a bit. It was nice to have company! After he started running again, i started to run too, because I was feeling pretty good again. This is when I rounded a corner and saw Kelley (mom23) up ahead. She wasn't feeling too good. It wasn't too long after that that Kelley got sick for the first time. I waited for her to finish losing everyhing, and then we started walking again. She was then feeling better, so we started running together. my stomach was feeling better , but my legs started cramping . I realized that I hadn't been taking my gu, so I started taking that. Kelley and I ran/walked several more miles together. Kelley atarted to go down hill again. Our walking became a slow, leisurely walk. But, I was having fun! I enjoyed seeing everyone that I knew out on the course and saying hi! jill passed us as we were walking a way from the expo center. She looked strong! We stopped to use the port a potty around mile 9.5. I was feeling sooo energized and good after having walked for so long that I was itching to run. Kelley was in no postion to run. I was torn whether I should stay with Kelley and give her company or head off on my own. Kelley told me to go, and since I was bursting at the seams to run, I went. I figured Kelley would be okay since there were so many people around. Turns out she got sick again within a couple of minutes of me leaving her, and the EMTs stopped her for a period of time to make sure she was going to be okay. I then passed Karen, who had passed us while we were at the port-a-potties and saw Jill (texmom) a head of me. I continued to see jill a head of me doing the same run/walk that i was doing. Jill and I ran through the park together and started off on our last cross country section. I decided to walk and told jill that i would see her at the finish line. i felt really good these last three miles. I was putting ice in my hat to keep cool and walking up all of the hills, and running the rest. At about mile 12.5, I caught up to Jill and we finished the race together! I felt happy, strong, and energized when I finished! I had met my goal- not a time goal, but an overall experience goal!

nothing. I enjoyed every part of it, because it all played a part in making my experience memorable and exciting!
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the finish line and was immediately greeted by Raegan. Went off to the finisher's chute to cheer on the remaining BTers that were coming in. I enjoyed talking with everyone afterwards and hearing everyone's stories about their day. I was so happy when Kelley made her way to the finish and even mustered up a short run for it!

I sat with Kelley, Maurice, and Raegan at the medical tent while Kelley got 3 IVs. We then packed up our stuff and headed back to our hotel. We ended up eating in, and just taking it easy the rest of the evening. That felt really good! I was just happy that we had one more night before heading home to the kiddos.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

a stomach bug for an entire week before the event. This really was a blessing in disguise however, because it really made me evaluate what I wanted out of this race. About three weeks before the race, I started to think that maybe I should be thinking about some time goals for myself. After my stomach issues, I realized, I didn't really care about time goals. I just wanted to have fun and be able to eat and have a beer afterwards! I didn't want to feel exhausted and sick for the rest of a kid-free weekend! I ended up not having a beer, because it just didn't sound as good to me, as something more hydrating1 :)

Event comments:

This was a great race!!! It was well organized and very well prepared for the hot and humid conditions that we had on that day. It also made it a lot of fun to do an event with some many people that you know. It was fun and encouraging to see people to cheer on and say hi to out on the run course. That was the one thing that i really liked abiut the run- the loops made it possible to see friends many diferent times! :)

The amazing thing (or maybe not so amazing since I walked so much) is that i didn't feel sore at all from this race. It just felt like a training day, and I feel like i could easily do another one this weekend. That is probably due to the fact that i didn't push myself to my full ability. I figure I'll save my racing for the shorter races and just enjoy the exprience of a HIM. Or, then again, maybe someday I'll decide to actually race one. ;) I do know that I'll be doing another HIM! :)

Last updated: 2007-06-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:49:51 | 1931 meters | 02m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 39/54
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
no hr data (or at least I don't believe it!) My hr monitor has actually been acting up and not giving reliable info.
Suit:
Course: triangular shape in Decker Lake
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:19
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
03:13:55 | 56 miles | 17.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 24/54
Avg hr- mid 160's (the same as my long, slow training rides)
Wind: Some
Course: 1 loop through the countryside- east of Austin
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:31
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
02:51:50 | 13.1 miles | 13m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 38/54
Performance:
Avg hr= mid 130's (this just shows how much I walked- this is low for me!)
Course: 2 loop couse through the park, on some roads, and cross country sections- VERY hilly!
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-13 9:58 AM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Subject: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron

2007-10-13 10:21 AM
in reply to: #1006165

User image

Veteran
Austin TX
Subject: RE: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron
Great race and race report Sue! It sure was a fun weekend with ya'll...we have to do it again soon!

It sure was nice to have you there for those miles during the run/walk. I'm glad you ran at the end though. I know you must have wanted to run sooner but were staying with me because I looked so pathetic!

You had a great race despite being so sick for more than a week before. I think we need to plan another HIM...this time without you getting sick before and me not getting sick during! No telling how well we could do when we're both healthy!
2007-10-13 10:28 AM

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Good job, u were in control all the way. Enjoyed reading ur report.
2007-10-13 2:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Dallas, TX
Way to go keeping yourself in check for the whole thing!  That takes some mental toughness, for sure!  It certainly paid off, giving you a great, enjoyable HIM experience.  Awesome job!!
2007-10-13 4:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Subject: ---

Edited by sportysue 2007-10-13 4:23 PM
2007-10-13 4:25 PM

User image

Great race report Sporty!

Thanks for a great weekend!!  I enjoyed sharing the whole experience together!!  Thanks, too, for not sharing your stomach bug!!

2007-10-14 6:15 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Overall Experience goal met...is the key to all races!

Awesome job of racing smart when not quite 100%.

What a fun race with so many BTers and folks you know out there encouraging you.

Congrats! 

2007-10-14 8:28 AM

User image

Master
Keller Tx
great job Sue!  glad you were able to make it fun!
2007-10-14 1:23 PM

User image

Champion
Great race, Sue!
2007-10-15 10:00 AM
in reply to: #1007459

User image

Champion
the colony texas

great race in some hot conditions ...

2007-10-15 11:33 AM

User image

Expert
Flower Mound, TX

You had a great race, Sue.  I'm surprised you weren't sore b/c I sure was.  You had a great bike split too.  You must be strong climber if those last hills didn't bother you.  Good job of spinning up them!

Sorry I didn't stay to see you finish or hang out afterwards, but I wantedto get back to the hospital to check on my Mom.

I was nice meeting you and I hope to see you and Raegan at many future races.  

2007-10-16 1:41 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Nice RR and I agree with you on making it an enjoyable experience! Doug was miserable for some time after the event as I think he pushed it a bit hard. I felt fine at the end of the race and had no soreness. I know I wasn't speedy, but the enjoyment level sure was better. So great to finish together!
2007-10-16 3:42 PM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Your RR reminds me that I forgot to mention that I stopped to fix my ponytail in T1 also. I think your ants migrated over to my spot and took up residence in my duffle bag. Glad to hear you had such a great experience. Maybe some day you guys will share the details of your ADULT weekend.
2007-10-16 3:56 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Great job out there! Sounds like you enjoyed the race! Wonderful! It was nice talking to you. Everytime I saw you, you looked happy and like you felt good. What more could one ask for?

See you out on a race course again... next year!
2007-10-16 3:57 PM
in reply to: #1010899

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
docshock1964 - 2007-10-16 3:42 PM

Maybe some day you guys will share the details of your ADULT weekend.

HHhhhhhuuuummmmm... now see... that just sounds WRONG... cause they shared a room with Mom23 and Dad23.
2007-10-16 4:26 PM
in reply to: #1010939

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
KSH - 2007-10-16 3:57 PM

docshock1964 - 2007-10-16 3:42 PM

Maybe some day you guys will share the details of your ADULT weekend.

HHhhhhhuuuummmmm... now see... that just sounds WRONG... cause they shared a room with Mom23 and Dad23.

Things did get a little crazy when those crazy "tri-kids" started to mix up the "BT Trash-can punch".....

http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/photos/show-album.asp?...

Great race Sporty Sue! And a big Thanks for being the guardian angel and stand-in medic for Kelley.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Half Iron Rss Feed