Concordia University
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 23m 34s
Overall Rank = 73/339
Age Group = F35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/18
Pre-race routine:

Up around 6:15 after a pretty good night's sleep... still didn't want to get out of bed, though. Almost cancelled, in fact, but in the end dragged my butt to the shower to get going. Took some excedrin to try and get rid of the nagging headache.
Event warmup:

On the 45 minute drive to River Forest, ate 4 fig newtons and had some coffee. Didn't do my usual gel 30 minutes beforehand, because I had picked one with caffeine in it, and was already too jittery and out of sorts to take in even more.

Did a jog back to the truck and then to the race site, then one loop around the track at an easy job to warm up.
Run
  • 23m 34s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

Totally wasn't feeling it before the race. Stomach wasn't settled and I already felt like my heart rate was too high. Funny - Jen told me that because I thought it wasn't going to be a good race, that I'd probably PR. She was right! :)

Started out a little fast, and pulled back just a bit. Was trying to hit 7:30-7:40 or so and nailed that. Second mile I started hitting a groove and felt pretty good... stopped for about 5 seconds for water. Then on the third mile, as I started to get fatigued (and this is where I usually lose a grip on my 5k races), I found myself a guy who was pacing his dad at JUST the right pace. I literally ran about a foot behind them for about .75 mile, and they really pulled me though. With about a quarter mile left to go, I passed them and kicked it in for a big finish. And a big holla goes out to jowisc who was spectating -- always fun to have someone cheering you on!

PR for me by almost 45 seconds!! At the beginning of the season, I had set a 23:30 5k goal, but haven't come even close at any race this year and didn't think this one would be it either. I'm completely surprised by the outcome, and despite being 4 seconds off my goal I'm totally pleased.

Oh, and the 1st place in my AG is pretty sweet, too. :)
What would you do differently?:

Maybe not stop for water around mile 2? That could have been my 4 seconds... but that's nit-picking, honestly. Not a whole lot I would have changed about this -- it's the best I could have run considering my fitness and base.
Post race
Warm down:

Cross finish line. Almost puke. Walk to massage tent and get stretched out. Find Jen and Jon and chit chat awhile about the rac.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Genetics.

Event comments:

Great long-sleeve technical t-shirt, which is nice. Didn't pay too much attention to the post-race food, but it seemed like there was a variety to be had.

Last updated: 2007-10-13 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:34 | 03.1 miles | 07m 36s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/18
Overall: 73/339
Performance: Good
1m:7:33:169 / 2m:7:46:180 / 3m:7:29:186 / 3.1m:0:51:188
Course: Through very flat streets around Concordia University. Not quite a square, but pretty close.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-13 8:13 PM

User image

Master
Southwest Chicago 'burbs
Bronze member
Subject: Makin' Tracks 5k

2007-10-13 9:12 PM
in reply to: #1006918

User image

Expert
Wellington, North Island
Subject: RE: Makin' Tracks 5k
You did awesome out there!!! Great job!

I guess it's time for you to set a new PR goal, because you're clearly going to smash the one you have very soon.
2007-10-15 12:00 PM
in reply to: #1006918

User image

Master
Port Moody, BC
Subject: RE: Makin' Tracks 5k
Genetics!  ha, that was funny.  Nice run and way to dig deep for a great finish!  Very inspirational.  I love fig newtons.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Makin' Tracks 5k Rss Feed