General Discussion Race Reports! » Under Armour Baltimore Half-Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Under Armour Baltimore Half-Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Baltimore, Maryland
United States
Baltimore Running Festival
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 36m 49s
Overall Rank = 4204/5049
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 396/494
Pre-race routine:

Up at around 7am to get the body moving. I had a half of a bagel with PB as we all got ready. We left the hotel room around 7:40. Brad and Craig's marathon started at 8 so they were off to the start. Amy and I dropped off Ben at their friend, Angela's place. We made it back to the hotel by 8:30 am and both contemplated going back to bed. Had a cup of coffee, banana and a GU before heading off to the race start.
Event warmup:

As we were waiting for the hotel elevator, we met a fellow runner who was originally in town for the Knitters Convention. Wow...a knitter AND a runner! I didn't think I'd meet another one besides Sissy.
We walked from the hotel to the race start (less than a 1/2 mile). (Again, excellent work on the hotel location, Craig!). I had to pee and the port-o-potty line was long. So I found a bush/wall to pee behind. I have no shame. I've started races having to pee and it sucks.
Amy and I found a good spot and waited for the race to begin. I started out with a L/S shirt, but ditched it soon after the start line.
The event started on time and we actually started running before the start line.
Run
  • 2h 36m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Amy and I started running at a good pace. It was crowded and uphill. We ended up running on the sidewalk for part of the first mile as it was so congested. There were some decent, steady climbs in the first 3 miles or so. Although I lacked motivation early in the run to push it, it was great weather and it's been forever since I've seen Amy so the company was excellent. We were both breathing pretty heavy after the climb through Butcher's Hill so we took it a little slower. As we hit the first water stop at mile 3, Amy stopped to grab a drink and I had a GU. Also enjoyed some Swedish Fish from some random guy holding a tray of them. From mile 3 on, we did a combination of running and walking depending on the hills and the water stops. Amy kept telling me to keep going, but honestly, I was having a great time regardless of whether I was running or not. I told her that I'd rather run/walk with her and have us finish together than me finish 10-15 minutes ahead of her and her have a miserable time. So we caught up with what's going on in eachother's lives at points...and then at other points, we were just enjoying the weather/scenery. It was great that the people of Baltimore would come out of their homes to cheer on the runners. As we ran around Lake Montibello (ate a banana), the wind was pretty strong, but the scenery was great. We made a few more climbs before hitting mile 10. Only a 5k left. We continued with the run/walk combo and enjoyed the net downhill back to the stadium. Grabbed some gummy bears from another random guy with a tray of them. YUMMY! Again, the spectators as we neared the stadium was great. We walked through the walkway at Camden Yards and then started running to the finish line.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing at all! Yes, I could have run faster/the whole race, but I had a great morning with Amy enjoying the weather and the day!
Post race
Warm down:

Got our medal, chip removal and grabbed an apple and water along with a space blanket. We exited the finisher's area and hung out cheering on the other finishers as we looked for Brad and Craig. We didn't really know where they'd be so we waited for about 45 minutes in one spot before moving to a sunnier, warmer spot. We then saw them coming through Camden Yards with smiles on their faces (and Brad jumping on cement barriers showing he was having a good time). As we regrouped, we walked back to the hotel and had Caifornia Tortilla as a post-race reward. YUMMY!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

More long training runs, but I honestly felt great the whole day! It hurt a little more to walk than it did to run, but I still felt great regardless.

Event comments:

Great race!
The expo and shirts were nice. The race is on a Saturday so you can enjoy yourself post race. The course was interesting with enough water stops and a variety of food. The neighborhoods supported the runners which was awesome. The 9:45am start was awesome!! I can't think of a con for this race. I am sure part of it was the hotel and how close it was to the start. I'd definately do it again!

Last updated: 2007-09-16 12:00 AM
Running
02:36:49 | 13.1 miles | 11m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 396/494
Overall: 4204/5049
Performance: Good
10:17, 10:38, 10:34, 23:05 (miles 4 & 5), 13:30, 11:27, 12:34, 12:52, 11:05, 12:57, 12:55, 13:29, last .1 - 1:13)
Course: Start at the Inner Harbor. Ran past Patterson Park, up to Lake Montibello and back through the city to Camden Yards. Rolling hills with some stretches of decent uphills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-14 2:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Reston
Subject: Under Armour Baltimore Half-Marathon

2007-10-14 3:36 PM
in reply to: #1007491

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: Under Armour Baltimore Half-Marathon

Hey Kristin,

It sounds like you had a fun day.  You can't beat a good day of running in nice weather with assorted molded sugar treats.

Ernie

Edited by ejc999 2007-10-14 3:37 PM
2007-10-14 3:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
sounds like you had a great time...congrats on completing another 1/2 mary. well done.
2007-10-14 3:53 PM
in reply to: #1007550

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Congrats on what sounded like a great day!

This race is getting known for the prodiguous amounts of gelatonous gummy treats that are handed out from well-wishers.

2007-10-14 7:47 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
Sounds like an awesome day. i just wish I had thought to take the day off on Friday and come down to do the race with the 2 of you.
2007-10-14 9:05 PM

User image

Niskayuna, NY

Great to hear/read that you had a great time with Amy (who can't?) and were able to catch up while you were out for a run through the neighborhoods of charm city!

2007-10-15 9:15 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
great job k. glad you had a good time and looking forward to seeing how you do in philly.
2007-10-15 12:32 PM

Veteran
WTG K!  Looks like you not only had a good race, but had a good time, too!  Congrats! ~ Joe
2007-10-16 12:13 PM

User image

Veteran
Sounds like such a fun day and a great way to do a race.
Looking forward to cheering you on in Philly
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Under Armour Baltimore Half-Marathon Rss Feed