Baltimore Runing Festival
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 58m 39s
Overall Rank = 842/2538
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 47/203
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 6ish. Had a bagel and a cup of coffee. waited for ryan to get ready, and left at 7am.
Event warmup:

walked to the start from the parking lot. that was probably a mile. does that count?
Run
  • 3h 58m 39s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I felt fabulous for the first 19 miles of the race, but then the walls closed in fast. Every mile I just found someone that was going a nice pace and stayed with them until the next mile marker. It worked to get me through what was a pretty boring race (outside of Fort McHenry). Going into this I was dreaming that I would be able to break 4 hours (for the first time), but knew that my training hadn't really made that likely. I reached the half way point at 1:54 and knew that unless the wheels fell off I would reach my goal. Well, the wheels very nearly fell off, but I kept it together enough to finish in 3:58:39.

Overall I was very happy with my strategy and decision making, and was thrilled to reach a sub 4 time for the first time.
What would you do differently?:

My initial goal was to use this as a training run for the JFK 50 in November. I figured if running 30 miles was on my agenda, I may as well get a medal for it. I wasn't able to train like I would have liked because of chronic joint pain, and quite honestly I was burnt out after pouring my heart (and sweat) into my first tri season. If I had to do it all over again I would be much more consistent about my running. My marathon training consisted of training for the July Cville tri, some moderate training for the Reston Tri, and then a 10 miler, 14 miler, 19 miler, and another 10 miler. on alot of those last weeks, my long run was my only day of exercise.... not good.

I walked all of the water stops. When I started having some leg spasms at mile 11 I thought I was in trouble, but spent 15 seconds stretching at the next water stop and was shocked at how fresh I felt immediately after. That, as it turns out, was a great discovery at this race. Stretching proactively before I ran into trouble really prolonged my endurance, i think. I owe that to the reston runners. most usually stop for a few minutes at the water stops on our training runs and socialize/rest/stretch and i was alway surprised out how good I felt right after. I figured I would try the same in a race, minus the socializing.....

Let me get to the point... I still haven't really answered the question. what would I do differently? 1) I would train more consistently. 2). I will participate in the interval training that the reston runners have next summer to work on my speed.
Post race
Warm down:

I did some stretching, although I must admit with a bud lite in my hand. ...and I walked about 2.5 miles around the inner harbor for lunch, and back to the car. again... does that count?

What limited your ability to perform faster:

consistent training, and joint injuries (most noteable at this point is my right hip)

Event comments:

I feel bad rating this race average because it had great volunteer support, plently of aid stations, great pace groups and was very organized. I did so, however, for two main reasons:
1.) Outside of Fort McHenry, which is breath taking, it is a VERY boring race. Alot of the course takes you through some seedier parts of baltimore. Safety was never a worry, it just isn't too much to look at. I will say that local support in this area, while not abundant, meant alot. When you were out of the run-down areas you were sent to the new yuppie areas that were under construction. The whole race course really just begs for social commentary.... anyway, just boring scenery. I am also incredibly spoiled because my only 2 other marathons were both at the Marine corps, which is gorgeous.
The second, and largest, reason that this race only gets an average rating from me is that around mile 16 the half-marathon participants and the marathon participants unite. Since the half marathon has double the participation of the full, you found yourself trying to navigate AGAIN as though it was the first few miles of the race all over again. To make matters worse, the timing is such that I (averaging around 9 min/mile) ran into the half marathon crowd that was probably averaging 10-10:30/mile. It just isn't the crowd you want to start dealing with again at mile 16 just as the 6 mile uphills start.

Overall, though, if you are looking for a decently challenging course, and scenery doesn't matter to you, this is a very well organized, very well supported race.

Last updated: 2007-07-09 12:00 AM
Running
03:58:39 | 26.2 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 47/203
Overall: 203/2538
Performance: Good
Course: Read Daremo course description. he has more narrative energy than i do. my synopsis... started off fluctuating between flat and slightly uphill for the first 6 (or so) miles. Was pretty flat until mile 13 (or so), and then began a continuous slight uphill for the next 5 (or so) miles. Last 6 were slightly downhill, but it didn't matter. I was spent.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-10-14 7:53 PM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: Under Armour Baltimore Marathon

2007-10-15 7:24 AM
in reply to: #1007773

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Under Armour Baltimore Marathon
Congrats on getting in under 4 hours...
Well done.
2007-10-15 9:33 AM
in reply to: #1008070

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Hey, you broke 4 even though you weren't really feeling it!  That's a fantastic result!

Oh, and the easy way to avoid the merge??  Run faster.  The only ones that caught and passed us were the people running 1:30 or better in the 1/2.

2007-10-17 12:43 PM
in reply to: #1008221

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Now you tell me! Had I known that, I would have just planned on running a 3:15pm. oh well, maybe next time
2007-10-17 12:44 PM
in reply to: #1008070

User image

Master
Reston, VA
thanks alot!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Under Armour Baltimore Marathon Rss Feed