General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dallas, Texas
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 47m 24s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 7/22
Pre-race routine:

Peanut butter bagel for breakfast at 5am. Gel shot about 30-45 min before the start.
Event warmup:

Some stretching, but thats it.
Swim
  • 30m 46s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 03s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a pretty good swim for me. I loved the time trial start!! It went very smoothly and there wasn't so hard to find a clean line to swim. For whatever reason, I had a better start than usual and felt good from the beginning. Usually it takes a while for me to settle into my stroke. I also felt better coming out of the water. I could give credit to the wetsuit, but I did the swim the day before in it and had the usual slow to start/exhausted on the exit that I normally do.
I do wish there would have been more buoys, I had a hard time in practice and on race day on the swim in in the same spot because I couldn't see the buoy.
What would you do differently?:

Had problems with my googles. I had problems the day before, but thought it was my goggles over the swim cap. Since I had problems today too, I think it may be time for new goggles.
Transition 1
  • 02m 51s
Comments:

Got a little stuck on the wetsuit, but not bad for the first time in a wetsuit.

Bring a towel to wipe off my feet. I forgot one. I'm not sure what else I could have done. It felt like a slow transition, but there wasn't a whole lot more I could have done.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 31s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 19.74 mile/hr
Comments:

The start was hard! It was a long hill into the wind and my legs had a tough time transitioning into this. Once I got up the hill I was fine though and it looked like everyone was experiencing some of this because I wasn't passed by any other women and only a few men.

I tried not to push too hard to save my legs for the run and I must have done pretty good b/c I still felt strong at the start of the run. I know I could have gone faster on the bike, but this may have been the best pace for me to save my legs too.

Practice starting with shoes on the bike. More hill training!
Transition 2
  • 01m 39s
Comments:

I wore socks for the run since it wasn't just a 5k. This was probably a good decision, but who knows? I also was a little low on gel shots on the run. I wish I had had one more.

Somehow even though I knew my bike was right by the light pole, I forgot which rack and which side of the rack it was on. Need to pay more attention to this.

Pack an extra gel shot, just in case...
Run
  • 56m 37s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

The race site says my rank is 10. However, there is one person who has a rank of 1 and a run time of just 29 min. Given that the overall winner of the whole thing didn't even run that fast. I'm thinking she lost a lap either by choice or timing malfunction.

While my time looks bad compared to my other events, this is actually a great run for me and a PR for a 10K with or w/o a bike and a swim before it. I worked hard to get not overdo it on the bike and stay nourished throughout the event. I felt good getting off the bike and starting the run.

Obviously, I need to work on my run. This will be a winter training focus!!!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

My run!!! I also got a little of course on the swim and had some goggle issues, but everything else went really well for me. I hit my predicted 'hopeful' times dead on and exceeded it on the run by 4 minutes.

Event comments:

I was very happy overall. This was my first Olympic and went even better than expected.

Last updated: 2007-09-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:46 | 1500 meters | 02m 03s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/22
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: sleeveless wetsuit
Course: Time trial start with kind of a 'T' course. The water was a little choppy at the top of the T, but the rest was fine. The buoys were a bit hard to see too especially on the way in.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:51
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
01:15:31 | 24.85 miles | 19.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/22
Wind: Strong
Course: Uphill start into the wind. After that it was rolling hills and some flats with a tailwind. Parts of the road were a little rough, but not too bad. There was traffic control everywhere but the cops could have stopped the cars at the intersections a little sooner. One big downhill I came down fast praying that the cops were going to stop the cars. He finally did, but one car went through anyway and I had to brake to keep from being hit. It was a little scary!
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:39
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:56:37 | 06.21 miles | 09m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/22
Course: 2 laps, pretty flat with a couple hills.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-14 9:03 PM

Regular
Little Elm
Subject: Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic

2007-10-14 10:00 PM
in reply to: #1007865

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic
Congrats on finishing your first Olympic! Looks like you had a nice race today.
2007-10-15 7:33 AM

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX
Congrats on your frist Olympic!!!!! Great job meeting (and exceeding) your goals for yourself.
2007-10-15 10:03 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
great race out there,, lots of people had a hard time finding the right bike rack out there.. I was one of the volunteers in t2 trying to help them and there were lots
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic Rss Feed