General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dallas, Texas
United States
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 26m 27s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/92
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:00 AM. Dressed warmly (it was chilly with the wind blowing). One banana and two slices of whole grain toast with peanut butter for breakfast on the way to Reunion Arena.
Event warmup:

Easy stretching and walking around T1.
Swim
  • 30m 33s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 52s / 100 yards
Comments:

This is becoming my standard refrain, but "I just don't swim enough." I need to swim more than once a week to see any improvement. I might want to think about getting some additional help on technique. It's not bad, but it could be so much better.
What would you do differently?:

Probably should have worn a wetsuit. It could have meant taking as much as 2 minutes off my time. Plus, it would have been MUCH warmer in the pre-race. I just didn't think it would be that chilly.
Transition 1
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

This was too slow! Should have been MUCH faster. I couldn't get my land legs out of the water, so my jog into transition was slow. Then, I miscounted the rows and went down the wrong rack at first. Finally, I couldn't get my helmet on. Never had so many problems at once.

Not much to do differently. Just relax and get back on track.
Bike
  • 1h 03m 28s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 23.49 mile/hr
Comments:

I really liked this course. The road was rough, but not any rougher than the chipseal Austin roads I usually ride. The only really tough "hill" was the long slow incline on Belt Line just after we exited the state park. After that, it was a general downhill trend with some mild rollers (none more than a quarter mile long, if that). It was VERY conducive to high speeds. I had a great time picking off riders ahead of me. I think I only got passed by one guy.

Not much. Maybe drink just a bit more. I was never thirsty, but I probably didn't do my run performance any favors by neglecting the water.
Transition 2
  • 01m 12s
Comments:

Not much to tell.

Probably could've done better with getting OUT of transition. I actually put my race belt on while standing still . . . what was I thinking? I should've started off toward the exit. Just not thinking straight all day.
Run
  • 49m 37s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a disappointing performance. Oddly, I didn't feel bad. My legs were heavy, but not because of the bike. I felt pretty good getting off the bike. My turnover was good. My ankles and knees didn't hurt like usual. I just couldn't get any power. If I upped the tempo, my heartrate rose too much. I felt like I was making good time, but I wasn't gaining any ground on folks, and I was getting passed a lot. I was just a bit surprised because I felt like I was running well -- the time just didn't reflect it. I guess, I need to rest my legs for a while and then slowly build up the base again in the off season. I think I was just tired from a long (6 months) season of racing.

Get a better base by training LSD in the off-season. Get some rest and recovery beforehand.
Post race
Warm down:

The post race festivities were excellent. Lots of food. Lots of hydration. A good sized massage tent. It was very well supported. Also, a big kudos to the race volunteers. They were superb. Every intersection on the bike course was manned by police, volunteers, or both. The logistics were planned very well, too. They had the T1 bags back at Reunion Arena before I even finished the race. THAT was impressive. All-in-all, this was a very good race. With the money they had available for the pros, I can see this being a VERY popular race series for years to come.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Leg injuries in June, lack of run training, exhaustion from IM Moo. I really should have just ended the season with Moo, but this was too tempting of a race. It was a lot of fun, and I'm glad I did it, but I certainly WAAAY over-exerted myself this season. I think I'll do a little more careful planning of races next year.

Event comments:

One negative comment . . . there was no bike support on the course. I didn't need it, but it didn't leave me with a very good feeling knowing I was on my own out there if anything should happen.

Also, there were apparently several bad crashes on the bike course. I've heard of at least two that involved cars. That rather surprises me, given the amount of police and volunteers on the road. Still, it seems most everyone had a pretty good time.

Last updated: 2007-10-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:30:33 | 1640 yards | 01m 52s / 100yards
Age Group: 31/92
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Suit: No wetsuit for me!
Course: Out and back triangle.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:38
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:03:28 | 24.85 miles | 23.49 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/92
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Point-to-point from Cedar Hill, through southwest Dallas, to Reunion Arena. Very moderate hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:12
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:49:37 | 06.21 miles | 07m 59s  min/mile
Age Group: 31/92
Performance: Bad
Course: Flat, two-loop course through downtown.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-15 8:22 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Leander, Texas
Subject: Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic

2007-10-15 9:34 AM
in reply to: #1008120

User image

Veteran
Redondo Beach, CA
Subject: RE: Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic
Sharkboy doesn't swim enough? Who'd have thunk it? Maybe change that name to Bikeshark. Now that was an awesome split! By way of encouragement, I would highly recommend the Total Immersion DVD called Freestyle Made Easy. Now (if this is the end of your season) is the perfect time to stop swimming the old slow way and focus on these drills exclusively for the next 6 weeks. The next time you swim you will be Sharkboy reborn!
2007-10-15 10:01 AM

User image

Champion
the colony texas
great race,,, glad you enjoyed it and avoided the bike crashes
2007-10-15 1:24 PM
in reply to: #1008222

User image

Extreme Veteran
Leander, Texas
duggar1,

Thanks for the advice on TI. I've been considering it, but putting it off. Perhaps now IS the time to give it a shot. I've heard lots of good things about it, a few negatives, but everybody who talks about TI is either staunchly FOR it or staunchly AGAINST it. I guess it's time for me to make up my own mind.
2007-10-15 5:17 PM

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX

Great job! You finished your Oly 3 seconds faster than I did my sprint...awesome!

2007-10-15 5:53 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
I think I saw your bike there on Saturday during bike drop off. Do you have a shark (like your avatar) on your disk?

2007-10-15 6:55 PM

User image

Veteran
McKinney, TX

Hey there - congrats on a finish.

I did the Olympic too, and finished oooohhhh and HOUR later than your time - lol. So it's all relative, and finishes are GREAT!!!

2007-10-15 8:26 PM
in reply to: #1009332

User image

Extreme Veteran
Leander, Texas
KenD - 2007-10-15 5:53 PM

I think I saw your bike there on Saturday during bike drop off. Do you have a shark (like your avatar) on your disk?

I do have the same shark on my wheel cover.
2007-10-15 9:40 PM

User image

Regular
austin/tx
damn that is a fast bike split!!!! swimming is a feel thing so continue to log some time at the pool wekly and you will notice a difference. plus the knees will thank you over and over again for the relaxing workout. great season!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2007-10-19 6:30 PM
in reply to: #1008778

User image

Veteran
Redondo Beach, CA

Sharkboy - 2007-10-15 11:24 AM duggar1, Thanks for the advice on TI. I've been considering it, but putting it off. Perhaps now IS the time to give it a shot. I've heard lots of good things about it, a few negatives, but everybody who talks about TI is either staunchly FOR it or staunchly AGAINST it. I guess it's time for me to make up my own mind.

It's my experience that those that don't find success with TI are not doing the program correctly. You have to stop swimming entirely and focus on doing just the drills. It's a step-by-step process that will completely re-engineer your stroke. This is a distance swimmer's stroke not a sprinters stroke. It will make you faster over longer distances, even as short as sprint triathlons. You will have far less drag in the water, swim much more efficiently and exit the water with a lot more energy left over for the bike and run. But you can't make the fatal mistake of thinking you can just add TI improvements to your existing stoke. It just doesn't work that way. If your competitive season is now over, this is the perfect time to stop swimming and spend the next 6 to 8 weeks working your way through the drills. Don't try to do them all the first week, master each one then add the next drill. I spent 6 weeks, 3 days per week for about an hour at a time to get my new and improved stroke. I watched the entire DVD before each TI session and did everything exactly as they teach you. If you do it right, it works. If you don't it won't. Good luck.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic Rss Feed