Baltimore Runing Festival
60F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 33m 43s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Ate a banana and helped get the baby ready to drop off at Angela's. Brad brought plastic trash bags and we walked the 5 min from the hotel to the start, got there 5 minutes before the gun...perfect timing.
Event warmup:

None
Run
  • 5h 33m 43s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 44s  min/mile
Comments:

Well I signed up for this pre-baby thinking that I would have the time and desire to run after the Ironman. Well, turns out I really didn't want to run this summer due to heat, lack of sleep, time etc., so we added up my miles and I had "trained" a total of 25 running miles since July, no quite up to anyone's training plan. Plus I've been swimming with this new group and having a blast, which contributed to the lack of running as well (but 39 swim miles since 7/1).
I knew I could gut thru any marathon, regardless of training, it would just be slow. The flu threw a whole new wrench in the situation and I think I actually re-hydrated during the race. Brad volunteered to spend the day with me "running", which was fantastic. He said the only way he would leave me was if I bitched and complained the whole time, or we saw the van on the horizon behind us sweeping up runners for the cut off. Well neither one happened and we had a fun day seeing Baltimore in a run/walk/shuffle manner. K nicknamed it the "death march of Craig", and I broke out a few times into the Star Wars death march theme song as we ran along. I don't think Brad broke a sweat all day and by the end he was still srewing around, running backwards, jumping off curbs, literally running circles around me etc. We even joked that he was the sherpa, prodding me along, throwing my trash out, forcing me to eat and drink etc. I think the people around us thought we were a little nuts, but when you run a 3:07 marathon like Weds, you have to do something for the extra 2:24 of time to entertain. Obviously a horrible time, but there was no way I was doing this under 5 with the training, motivation, and course. I have a whole new respect for Nate cranking out 4:15-4:45 marathons with little to no training. All in all, we had a ton of fun, it was like two of us hanging out for 5 1/2 hours talking, telling stories, bs'ing, making fun of people etc. It definitely wouldn't have been the same without weds so I owe him a huge Thank You!!!
What would you do differently?:

Train
Post race
Warm down:

Walked back to the hotel, showered, got sushi, duck pin bowled, and milkshakes

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training and flu. I think I would have gotten another 3-4 miles of solid running without the flu. Either way I think without the training I would have been walk/run/shuffling by 15 at the latest. My normal marathons knee and hip aches started at mile 10 instead of 16-18. The first 13 just felt like I didn't have any energy.

Event comments:

I think my threshold for non-training runs that are still "reasonable" are 1/2 marathons and under... for future reference to myself.

Last updated: 2007-07-09 12:00 AM
Running
05:33:43 | 26.2 miles | 12m 44s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course: Semi Figure eight of Baltimore
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-15 10:15 AM

User image

Regular
West Hartford
Subject: Under Armour Baltimore Marathon

2007-10-15 11:48 AM
in reply to: #1008318

User image

Extreme Veteran
Southeast, PA
Subject: RE: Under Armour Baltimore Marathon
would love to have seen the time you coulda posted had you had the extra 3-4 training miles...damn flu! :P Glad to here you guys had a good time....would have loved to seen weds run circles around you etc...sounds quite entertaining....could only imagine what kind of comments the two of you would make when making fun of others.

anyways, nice job gutting it out. congrats on #7. You really going for all 50???
2007-10-15 12:23 PM

User image

Niskayuna, NY

What, no shopping carts?  Come on, there must have been a 10 year old offering $15 to push you a mile or so....

Sans shopping cart stories, FANTASTIC marathon for not run training.  Sounds like it was a lot of fun and great exercise...can't beat that. Great RaceReport as well!

2007-10-15 12:51 PM
in reply to: #1008614

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD

Hehehehe .. you're only around Druid Hill Park for a few minutes, and it is still too early in the morning then for most of the crack heads to be up with their carts to make some cash.

Congrats on making it a fun day out there regardless of your training level.  And kudos to Brad for hanging out and keeping you in good spirits!

2007-10-16 8:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
nice job finishing. i never had a doubt. well, maybe when we saw the truck going the other way picking up cones ~mile 9.

i'm sure you were hurting and would have liked to about the hills a little more, but you were great the whole time. i had a great time and it's nice to be able to walk this week instead of limping around. if k can stay as upbeat as you i am looking forward to doing a full with her. maybe we can all do one and screw around at the back of the pack. i think i'm ready to give that camelbak of beer a try next time.

p.s. i only ran a 3:09:14

2007-10-16 12:06 PM

User image

Veteran
Sounds like what could have been a painful marathon turned out to be a great experience. Congrats on another marathon finish

maybe we can all do one and screw around at the back of the pack.

Great minds think alike, weds. I just posted that to you!

2007-10-16 8:24 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
"maybe we can all do one and screw around at the back of the pack."

been there, done that, i'd like to do one where I screw around in the middle of the pack...nate

with all the porto-lets heidi and I will literally be screwing around!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Under Armour Baltimore Marathon Rss Feed