United States
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 18m 15s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 20/30
Pre-race routine:

First ever triathlon. Woke up at 4:15. Ate a bagel, and then a breakfast bar later. Headed down to T2, arrived at 5:30, set up my running gear, and then loaded the bus to T2. Set up bike transition, mingled with some friends, and then had to wait from 7:15 to 9:00 (time between shutting down T1 and the start of my wave). It was cool and windy, which didn't make the wait very enjoyable. But since it was first event, I just took in my surroundings and watched everything going on.
Event warmup:

Went to the pool and swam 300M to get my blood flowing. Wasn't sure if/how they'd be letting people in the lake for warm-up, so just went for the pool warmup.
Swim
  • 23m 19s
  • 875 yards
  • 02m 40s / 100 yards
Comments:

An absolute disaster. I just started swimming in July, but worked on it 2-3 times per week and had gotten to the point where I could swim 1500M continuously at about a 1:30/100M pace. So I thought I could handle 800M of the open water stuff. Big mistake. I planned on getting in some open-water swims, but the only opportunity I had was one that was the weekend before the race. I thought that might be a bigger handicap (mentally) if I went out there and struggled, so I passed.

The start went smoothly given the time-trial format. I started in the third heat of four, and quickly shot up to the front of the pack where I was sighting off the lead kayak. And then everything went to hell in a handbasket. I couldn't breathe. It was like it was when I first started swimming...couldn't catch my breathe for the life of me. I was taking in a lot of water when I tried to breath because of the chop, and the sighting expended much more energy than I anticipated (even though I worked on sighting in the pool). There were times I thought I might have to throw in the towel because I couldn't catch my breathe, even when I was floating on my back. I kept telling myself, "It's only 800M" and struggled through it. I ended up doing about half the swim on my back. Very disappointing.
What would you do differently?:

Numerous open-water practice swims. Wear a wet suit. I should have been able to do the swim in at least 16-18 minutes. I was surprised that I wasn't the last out of the water in my age group, so some of my struggles can be attributed to what most people thought was a tough swim. Also, the race results state that the course was actually 850M, as opposed to the 800M on the race literature.
Transition 1
  • 04m 15s
Comments:

Given the struggles in the water and the fact that I had just drank half of Joe Pool Lake, I walked up the ramp and all the way to my bike. Once I dried off and got my helmet and shoes on, I felt good enough to jog out of the transition with my bike.

Run up the ramp and to bike. Practice transitioning with shoes clipped in to pedals.
Bike
  • 1h 20m 9s
  • 24 miles
  • 17.97 mile/hr
Comments:

The wind and the climb at the outset complicated matters after my swimming struggles. I decided to take it easy for the first 5 or so miles, and just shook off all the people whizzing by me. It was my first tri, so it was all about finishing. The middle third of the course, I started to get in a groove, and then I hammered it pretty good the last 1/3. I figured I'd press as much as I could on the bike since I only had to run three miles.

Get a better bike. I borrowed a decent road bike from a friend while I figure out if this is something I will do more of in the future. A better road bike and certainly a tri-bike would have helped matters.
Transition 2
  • 02m 6s

Practice this transition a little more. The no-ride line snuck up on me, so I had to brake pretty hard. Obviously wasn't out of my pedals or my shoes by then. After the dismount, I was a little disoriented, but quickly found the right route and everything went smoothly.
Run
  • 28m 28s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

My legs were pretty shot. And I really felt bloated. Not sure if I was drinking too much water, but I didn't even finish my two water bottles on the 40K bike ride. It was probably from drinking too much of Joe Pool Lake.

I was hoping for something closer to 8:00 miles, but just happy I didn't get too close to 10:00!

My run training was sacrificed the last month for more bike and swim training. Wished I had worked more on running, but it's all tradeoffs, right?
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out at post-party with family and friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of swim training. Obviously impacted my swim time, but I think it also negatively affected the rest of my times, especially bike.

Last updated: 2007-10-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:19 | 875 yards | 02m 40s / 100yards
Age Group: 20/30
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: Tri-shorts and top
Course: Out-and-back triangle
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 76F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:15
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:20:09 | 24 miles | 17.97 mile/hr
Age Group: 16/30
Performance: Average
Wind: Cross-winds
Course: Uphill for the first 3-4 miles, then generally downhill. Some rolling hills in between, but no massive climbs after the beginning. Course also headed out east at the start, which was directly into the wind. The combo of the wind and the climb at the start was challenging.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:06
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:28 | 03.11 miles | 09m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 17/30
Performance: Average
Course: Flat.
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-15 2:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Plano, Texas
Subject: Toyota US Open Triathlon

2007-10-15 2:33 PM
in reply to: #1008927

Elite
Subject: RE: Toyota US Open Triathlon

Great job, Triathlete!

Regarding your swim:

" I started in the third heat of four, and quickly shot up to the front of the pack where I was sighting off the lead kayak. And then everything went to hell in a handbasket. I couldn't breathe. "

Is it possible that you just went out too hard for that first 100-200m? I've had that exact same problem in the past and I have cured it by very agressively controlling my speed for that first 5 minutes or so. i.e. "I swim as slowly as I can" until I start to feel the groove. Not that I'm that fast, but it has helped with the running out of breath thing.

Good luck on your next race!

2007-10-15 2:41 PM
in reply to: #1008943

User image

Veteran
Plano, Texas
ScottoNM - 2007-10-15 2:33 PM

Great job, Triathlete!

Regarding your swim:

" I started in the third heat of four, and quickly shot up to the front of the pack where I was sighting off the lead kayak. And then everything went to hell in a handbasket. I couldn't breathe. "

Is it possible that you just went out too hard for that first 100-200m? I've had that exact same problem in the past and I have cured it by very agressively controlling my speed for that first 5 minutes or so. i.e. "I swim as slowly as I can" until I start to feel the groove. Not that I'm that fast, but it has helped with the running out of breath thing.

Good luck on your next race!

Thanks!. And that most definitely happened. I was fired up for my first race and happy to be done with the almost 2-hour wait. I geared it down after my first 100M and realizing I was out of breath, but what was frustrating is that even after slowing down and relaxing, I still couldn't catch my breath. I've since wondered if my body was waiting for the big gasp of air that I get at the end of each length in the pool. If so, I may start working on flip turns.
2007-10-15 5:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Allen, TX

Congratulations on finishing your first triathlon!!!! The fact that you kept going even though the swim freaked you out a bit is a testament to your mental toughness. Awesome job!!!!!

2007-10-15 7:57 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

congrats on the race.

that dismount line and fast left turn had a few people nearly hitting the fence with their momentum, so if you didn't come too close to it you did really well 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota US Open Triathlon Rss Feed