General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Sprint - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Austin, Texas
United States
EndorFUN SPORTS
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 24s
Overall Rank = 241/740
Age Group = 25 - 29
Age Group Rank = 15/63
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:10, showered, packed the car and had a banana before we left the apartment at 5:00. Once we got to the site and set up our transitions and took pictures I had half a super food. Around 7:00 I had the other superfood and 4 sports beans (my super performing pre-swim meal). Tried the pre-race yoga, but ended up smearing my body markings all over myself so I had to go get those re-marked instead.
Event warmup:

None
Swim
  • 12m 59s
  • 800 meters
  • 01m 37s / 100 meters
Comments:

The first part of the swim sucked. It was my first open water swim and the area where we started was full of seaweed. We were in the water just surrounded by the stuff which was really nerve-racking. Then the gun went off and I was so discombobulated. I got completely off course finding the first bouy and probably swam an extra 100 meters. But, once we rounded the first bouy I got my act together and really took off. I could watch the groups ahead of me and swim fast and in the correct direction. I started passing men from the 2 wave groups ahead of me and then it started to get crowded again. One guy really upset me as I was passing him he saw my cap and decided not to let me pass. Nothing angers me more then someone picking it up as I try to pass them, so I took off and toasted him. I then broke through the crowds and as I rounded the last bouy I saw only 2 pink caps in front of me. One was almost out of the water, the other was about 100 meters ahead - about half way to the finish. I just had to catch her so I took off. I beat her out of the water by about 7 seconds. So, that felt really good.
What would you do differently?:

Try to relax at the beginning and get on course immediately - if I hadn't gotten off course I could have shaved a ton of time off the swim.
Transition 1
  • 04m 8s
Comments:

I took my time, I wanted my heart rate to recover and wanted to make sure I didn't forget anything. So, I ran up the chute and then when I hit the racks were my bike was, I slowed down and started recovering. I made sure I put my knee braces on, then my shoes and helmet, had half a clif shot and then took off with my bike.

Not have knee braces =). Next time I might move faster, but this was my first time so I wanted to really go slow and make sure I did everything correctly.
Bike
  • 39m 20s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.30 mile/hr
Comments:

I took it nice and slow in the beginning, letting people pass me and taking it slow to warm up. It was really hard not just taking off, but I convinced myself not to get competitive. Once I got going though, I did really well. I made it a point not to walk the bike at all and to pass at least one person on every uphill. I felt really strong on the first huge hill when everyone around me jumped off their bikes to walk. I climbed it strong. The Raven Ride really prepared me both mentally and physically for how challenging this course was. I felt really strong on all the hills and passed tons of people on the uphills, so that was great motivation to keep going strong.

Not much, for me it was a great ride! I should have pushed harder on the downhills, but I was afraid of going too fast with so many people clogged up in front of me, I wanted to stay safe, but probably could have gone a bit faster.
Transition 2
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

I took it slow. Chad hadn't caught up with me yet, so I started taking my time here in hopes he would catch me on the run.

Not take my time waiting for Chad. Since this was our first race, we wanted to run together so I started putzing here.
Run
  • 32m 53s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 10m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

My run sucked! I'm actually super duper surprised it was as fast as it was, I felt like I wasn't moving at all. It took me forever to catch up to a walker which didn't do much for the old ego. But, I always knew the run was my worst leg, and the fact that I either pulled my hamstring or bruised my tailbone on Wednesday and couldn't even walk didn't help much. I was in so much pain but pushed through, walking a bit more then I wanted to but not too much.

Not injure myself before? =) Actually I think if I wasn't injured I would have done really well, even with hurting so much my time was right where I expected. So, on a race this short I would have pushed a lot harder on the run
Post race
Warm down:

Cheering on the finish line waiting for Chad

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My butt/hamstring injury made the run super painful and having to put on my knee braces in transition slowed me down a bit.

Event comments:

My first race down - I am officially a triathlete!!! I don't know how I'm going to wait until March for my next race - it was so fun I want to do one again sooner! :-)

Last updated: 2007-06-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:59 | 800 meters | 01m 37s / 100meters
Age Group: 2/63
Overall: 45/740
Performance: Good
HR was 170 when I exited the water
Suit: Zoot 2 piece Tri-Suit
Course: Decker Lake
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:20 | 12 miles | 18.30 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/63
Overall: 239/740
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: HILLS HILLS HILLS! Wow - besides the first and last short stretches everything was straight up or straight down. The first road down Decker Lane was terrible, it was so bumpy I was actually afraid my front wheel was attached incorrectly and on the verge of falling off. It was so bad I found out later that Chad's computer vibrated right off his bike!
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 105
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:01
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:53 | 03.1 miles | 10m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 38/63
Overall: 433/740
Performance: Below average
638 Calories, 171 Avg HR (for the bike and run segments, total averaged together)
Course: We had to climb the monster hill we rode our bikes up. Riding our bikes next to the runners was so upsetting - I didn't want to see this hill again! And, it really was worse running it. There was a whole long line of walkers - we looked like the living dead just walking/dragging ourselves up the huge hill!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-15 4:43 PM

User image

Expert
The Woodlands, TX
Subject: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Sprint

2007-10-15 10:10 PM
in reply to: #1009207

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Subject: RE: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Sprint
Awesome job on your first Tri! Way to toast the jerk on the swim too.
2007-10-15 10:36 PM
in reply to: #1009207

User image

Elite
Texas
Subject: RE: LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Sprint
Very good race! Don't worry about your run. The best thing about the off season is you get an opportunity to focus on your limiter and maintain your strengths. You have a strong swim and bike, so with some work on the run you'll be crushing the field next season!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » LongHorn Triathlon Festival - Sprint Rss Feed