General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll San Jose Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Rock 'n' Roll San Jose Half Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Jose, California
United States
Elite Racing Inc.
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 29m 41s
Overall Rank = 5924/8787
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 542/643
Pre-race routine:

I slept terrible. It seemed that I woke up every hour. I had two alarms set to ensure I woke up on time. I did not trust the hotel for a wake up call. I think I must have had anxiety over the silly D-backs game.

nice and calm morning. breakfast included a cup of coffee, banana, yogurt and granola bar. Took the light rail train to start.
Event warmup:

did some light stretching and had some conversations with some other runners I met.
Run
  • 2h 29m 41s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 11m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

Compared to Disney, I had a great race. Although I am slow, I did not really struggle until the last mile. I attribute that to lack of running recently as I have focused on the Timex Tri. One of the pacers is also a triathlete, so we talked tri for the first 10 miles of the race. This really made the miles go by. I was not able to talk much after 10.

Even with my lack of focused running recently. I just missed a PR by 9 seconds. I walked for about 10 yards at 12.5. I bet that cost me right there.

I feel Elite does a great job at the races. Good wave start, plenty of support on the races. good bands. I did not listen to the Ipod at all.
What would you do differently?:

I need to get some speedwork into my training plans. Actually, it is in my training plans I just need to do it.

I took some sport beans at about 9 and 11 miles. I could have used a GU for some added fuel.
Post race
Warm down:

This race had a very nice secure area. There was plenty of room to walk around and it was about a 1/4 mile long which forced you to walk to warm-down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of speedwork and HR training

Event comments:

Elite is by far the most organized when it comes to stagin these events. The family reunion area was in a downtown park. There was a band playing with some booths. Sprint for live results, New balance gave away recovery kits and full size towels. Crocs were there and souviners.

The post race concert was Ozomatli. I thought they were OK. The set seemed a little short to me.

Last updated: 2007-10-16 12:00 AM
Running
02:29:41 | 13.1 miles | 11m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 542/643
Overall: 5924/8787
Performance: Good
I had consistent laps as I stayed with the pace team for the first 11 miles. HR started at 147 and maxed out at 193. Way too high. The 193 was at the end when I sprinted the last 1/4 mile. I'll use the word sprint loosely.
Course: The course was very flat with the exception of two underpasses. The race started and ended within two blocks of each other downtown. This course was scenic in the sense that we did not run through the usual industrial area as other races have. The neighborhoods were nice with mature trees to keep the sun away.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-16 11:54 AM

User image

Expert
Chandler, AZ
Subject: Rock 'n' Roll San Jose Half Marathon

2007-10-16 3:18 PM
in reply to: #1010407

User image

Veteran
Knoxville, TN
Subject: RE: Rock 'n' Roll San Jose Half Marathon
Too bad about the PR, but congrats on what looked to be a solid and consistent race!
2007-10-18 3:57 PM

User image

Master
Peoria, AZ (Near Lake Pleasant)
Congrats on a fun race!!!
2007-10-21 11:52 AM

User image

Elite
Mesa, AZ
OOOH you came sooo close t that PR way to go! Where is your Disney RR!? I want to read that too! Now I really wish I would have done this race. Sounds like a great time. You did really well especially since you had been focusing on tri training!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Rock 'n' Roll San Jose Half Marathon Rss Feed