Race Day Events
83F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 48m 21s
Overall Rank = 21/102
Age Group = Male 25-29
Age Group Rank = 2/12
Pre-race routine:

I got the event very early as the start time of 1pm gave plenty of nervous time, so I figured I would just go and get set up. I helped the race crew for a few minutes getting the finish set up, then got my bike racked and equipment lain out. The 1pm start time also allowed me to drink water all morning, something that turned out to be a very bad thing. I cramped during the bike and locked up at the start of the second run. I usually never cramp before at least 2hrs, but drinking so much water pre-race must have lowered my sodium, combined with the sun and warmer than expected conditions contributed to a bad last leg.
Event warmup:

2 mile bike and a short jog. I brought the trainer along, but left it in the car.
Run
  • 22m 55s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Having never done a running race, and having never done a duathlon before (and only one tri) I really didn't anticipate the pace that the run would start at. I am not a fast runner, and seeing the lead group getting away from me caught me off guard and caused me to run harder than I should have. I just saw so many people getting ahead of me that I pushed back. I ran the 5k faster than any training I've done before, and found my HR to be way too high averaging over 180 (my max is around 194). I saw the HR and just kept on.
What would you do differently?:

Do the pace I know I need to. The fast start and high HR really set a bad tone for me for the rest of the race, as on the hilly bike course I never had a chance to recover.
Transition 1
  • 00m 38s
Comments:

Smooth transition. I had my pick of transition spots by being early and it paid off.

Nothing.
Bike
  • 54m 20s
  • 19.01 miles
  • 20.99 mile/hr
Comments:

I nailed the bike, which was what I wanted to do. 3rd best split. I have a better sense of how to recover on the bike than on the run, so even with the hills, I did manage my output well, but never really recovered from overdoing the first run. Passed 23 people according to the splits, and at least only 12 of them passed me back on the last run.

I felt like I drank my water too early, but perhaps I just needed another small bottle. Don't be too obsessive about aero if it costs you fluids! Perhaps not get out of the saddle to climb as much.
Transition 2
  • 00m 26s
Comments:

I grabbed my runing bottle which I had put there just in case. BAD MOVE. Should have left it, because I drank the whole thing over 3k and was sloshing badly.
Run
  • 30m 3s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Wow, I blew up and cramped up. The HR I had been at for the last 1:15 was just not sustainable. The first run really killed any chance of a good second run. About 1/4 mile into the last run my left hamstring cramped badly, followed by my right calf. I got it to unlock and then only felt like mini cramps on each stroke. I had to walk 3 times in this run which I feel like was a major failure for me in this race, but my chest was starting to tighten and I have never felt as much like quitting anything as I did from 1.5-2.5 miles. When I hit the last big hill with about .5 to the finish a guy told me to push, I was almost there. I got a second wind and finished strong do the stretch.

It all comes back to that first run for me where I overexerted to try and match the pace of the leaders. When the race starts in the water, I get to start on my strength, and also cant see the field. Beeing able to see runners pulling away was tough mentally, and I let it get the best of me. If I had taken half a minute and 20 bpm off my HR on the first run, I think overall I would have placed about 5-6 places higher.
Post race
Warm down:

Got dizzy. Got some fluids. Stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

See above. The first run leg. Also the duathlon is very different from the tri I have done, because the bike leg is just long enough for your hamstrings to get cold from the first run, so getting onto the last run is VERY different from the run leg of a Tri. I have done this distance and more in training, but putting it together on race day is different from doing it in training. I wanted to come in at 1:42, and although I missed that goal, I am excited about the winter and training to make sure I get some top 10 finishes next season. I need to spend the winter working on running more, but I can't wait to get a swim leg in come spring, the duathlon puts far too much focus on my weakest element.

Event comments:

All in all I would do this again, and had a great time. It only took 10 mintues after the race before all was good again, and I was feeling great. This is only my second multisport race ever, the first being 3 years ago. Since then I had gotten very out of shape and gained 40lbs. I have been training for 2.5 months for this starter race, and I'm proud that I have gotten myself back into a position where I can do a multisport event again. But most of all, I just enjoyed being in the comptetion.

Last updated: 2007-10-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:22:55 | 03.11 miles | 07m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 32/102
Performance: Average
Avg HR was 181!! with a Max of 188. Opps
Course: Course was a mostly flat out an back with one large hill about .5 miles long right before the transition going up hill on the return half.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 00:38
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Good
Biking
00:54:20 | 19.01 miles | 20.99 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 3/102
Performance: Good
AVG HR 176, Max HR 188.
Wind: Cross-winds with gusts
Course: Course was a little longer than 30k, but not by much. Originally it was to be 40k which would have suited me much better, as the shorter bike leg put even more focus on my weakest discipline. Hilly, and somewhat windy course. The hill were short but steep, and offered no time for recovery on the downhills before the next hill started.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good