Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2007-11-23 2:18 PM
in reply to: #1061613

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
Subject: RE: Triathlon training on a raw diet

MuscleMomma - 2007-11-19 8:10 PM I just did not find the Raw runner at all credible. I do not believe that he has those muscles and runs marathons on fruit and green salads. To get enough cal. with fruit seems way too unhealthy and on the way to diabetes. I accept that it worked for you that year. I'll assume you ate good amounts of nuts and seeds. I know that a vegan diet would be far healthier than my current one which is all whole grains etc. and then I add in junk food. It's funny how people will worry about the negetive consequences of a veggie, vegan or raw diet and not worry about the results of junk food and being fat!!!! Why do you think you felt better on a raw diet vs. a vegan one?

I, like most physically active raw foodists, did eat lots of nuts and seeds.  In fact, I ate whatever I wanted as long as it was raw.  It was very freeing from that perspective, and very limiting in other ways.  Which is why, ultimately, I decided to add some cooked foods back into my diet, with the intention of eating as many raw and unprocessed foods as possible while still being flexible.  I'd really like to work back up to around 75% raw.

Funny thing about fruits and greens...gorillas have no trouble getting all big and muscley eating pretty much nothing else.  Not that I am a gorilla, not that I want to spend all day eating, and not that I have any intention of giving up my favorite treats...I'm just sayin'.

2007-11-26 5:25 PM
in reply to: #1061613

User image

Veteran

To get enough cal. with fruit seems way too unhealthy and on the way to diabetes. 

Slight hijack....just want to mention that eating a lot of fruit does not put someone on the path to diabetes

Smile

2007-11-27 12:58 AM
in reply to: #1011047

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO

I've tried a raw foods diet, but didn't have enough time to create dishes that were satisfying.  I did discover that the best hummus is made w/ sprouted garbanzo beans, however!  And there are lots of tasty dishes to be made..... My friends made them and I enjoyed them, but there are only so many hours in a day!

Now I'm trying to avoid all sugar, starch and processed foods (which sounds like a raw diet in some ways) but I'm suddenly really bored by the salad I used to love for lunch everyday and really crave meat (to get enough calories?) when I've always eaten very little meat.  It was suggested that I go vegetarian (again) but if I can't eat any dairy, sugar (fruit) or starches and only limited grains, it's impossible for me to live on green beans and the like, especially when they're uncooked, because I would never feel satisfied.  I have been losing weight quickly lately even with cheating so I'm happy and my body must be happy too.  And I'm feeling pretty good when working out.

BUT to get back to the original subject, I don't think a raw or vegetarian diet has enough calories for me when I'm training.  You either feel energetic or you don't.  If your muscles feel more achy and tired than they used to, if your times are down, something's not right.  If you can eat raw foods and kick butt in races, why change?  It's got to be more healthy for you to eat that way.  A raw foods guru, I read one of his books but forget his name, was NOT muscular..... but very lean w/ some muscle.   Don't know if he could complete a race....

Nutrition is so complex and for the most part there is very little science on the subject because AMA disregards it completely -- so we do what feels best and keep blogging each other to find out what's working for them!!

Good luck to you and thanks for starting this thread  -- it helped me to work out some thoughts on the subject as well.

2007-11-29 8:01 PM
in reply to: #1069678

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
Skarl,
I'm sure you're aware of marcobiotics. Probably more than me, but I believe that it cuts out fruit, but it does have rice. What grains are you trying to cut out and why?

I really need the inspiration from you gals as I can't believe the garbage I stuffed into my body this last week!!! Ugh. I really do want to glow with health (as well as be kick fast and tough!)

MM
2007-12-17 4:35 PM
in reply to: #1011047

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Connecticut
I'm back, stuffed with more junk food than before.
When you gals fall off the wagon do you go cold turkey back into a raw/vegan diet or ease back in.
Somehow I can't get back to a routine.
2007-12-20 7:24 PM
in reply to: #1068912

User image

Master
Chandler, Arizona
SoManyGoals - 2007-11-26 3:25 PM

To get enough cal. with fruit seems way too unhealthy and on the way to diabetes.

Slight hijack....just want to mention that eating a lot of fruit does not put someone on the path to diabetes

Smile

+1

Nobody has ever gotten fat from eating too much fruit.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Triathlon training on a raw diet Rss Feed  

of 2