General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero bars and road bike seat tube angles Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-17 12:44 PM

User image

Rowlett, Texas
Subject: Aero bars and road bike seat tube angles
Okay, having just read through about 15 threads after a search on aero bars (which also brought up the "why I like tri-girls" thread ) without finding the answers I am looking for, I figured I'd just start a new thread.

The consensus seems to be that aero bars are most definately worth it. HOWEVER, I have been told by several people that aero bars do not work well with road bikes because the seat tube angle isn't steep enough. Is there any truth to this? I ride a Cannondale CAAD8, btw.

Also, I've noticed that I will pass guys on aero bars during the climbs, then they sail past me on the downhill. What's the story on that? Do aero bars make climbing more difficult due to the position?

There are like 14,987,856.9 different styles of aero bar. What are the selection factors that need to be looked at when choosing between them all? Do you need to take seat tube angle into consideration?

Lastly, how do you fit aero bars? How do you know you are in the right position?

As I am sure is blatantly obvious, I have never been on a bike with aero bars. So, what is the skinny on these things?

2007-10-17 12:59 PM
in reply to: #1012200

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Subject: RE: Aero bars and road bike seat tube angles

You can put aero bars on a road bike, but you have to be careful about positioning as it will affect handling (road bikes are generally not designed with the expectation that the rider is going to move the center of gravity that far forward).  The seat tube angle is only one part of that and, actually, you can ride aerobars "steep" or "shallow".

You probably get passed downhill because aerodynamics become more important as speed increases.  You are presenting more drag than they are.  It can be more difficult to climb aggressively in a tri bike.  But generally if your bike fits and you are adapted to it and you have enough gears, you can climb just as well.

On a road bike, you may be better off with "shorties", basically a shorter aerobar that won't put your weight as far out towards the front wheel where handling may become more of an issue.  Other than that (and without access to a windtunnel to determine the best aerodynamic position for you), it's mostly personal choice.

The best thing to do is probably to pay for a professional fitting and have them set up the bike with you.

2007-10-17 12:59 PM
in reply to: #1012200

User image

Subject: RE: Aero bars and road bike seat tube angles

The consensus seems to be that aero bars are most definately worth it. HOWEVER, I have been told by several people that aero bars do not work well with road bikes because the seat tube angle isn't steep enough. Is there any truth to this? I ride a Cannondale CAAD8, btw.

No.  the angle is different (i.e., not as steep or "forward" but many many many people put aero bars on road bikes and do quite well. 

Also, I've noticed that I will pass guys on aero bars during the climbs, then they sail past me on the downhill. What's the story on that? Do aero bars make climbing more difficult due to the position?

I'd venture it's got nothing to do with aero bars since, after a certain grade, you shouldn't be climbing in the aero position.  If you're passing someone that is climbing an 8% grade in aero, then yeah, it's probably due to aero bars.  Maybe they're heavier than you.  Maybe you're a better climber and chicken out on the descent   Too many factors.

There are like 14,987,856.9 different styles of aero bar. What are the selection factors that need to be looked at when choosing between them all? Do you need to take seat tube angle into consideration?

First, what's your price range.  Second, how much does weight matter.  Then fit is also important - how comfortable is it?  S bars?  etc etc etc.

Lastly, how do you fit aero bars? How do you know you are in the right position? As I am sure is blatantly obvious, I have never been on a bike with aero bars. So, what is the skinny on these things?

Go to your local bike shop and get a proper fitting

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Aero bars and road bike seat tube angles Rss Feed