General Discussion Race Reports! » Under Armour Baltimore Half-Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Under Armour Baltimore Half-Marathon - RunHalf Marathon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Baltimore, Maryland
United States
Baltimore Running Festival
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 09m 52s
Overall Rank = 2649/5200
Age Group = M 20-24
Age Group Rank = 153/190
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 6:30, and got some cereal and toast in me for the rest of the day. I was supposed to meet my cousin and car pool to the race around 7:30. Drove up to the park and ride and met up with them finally and drove up, got up their around 8:20ish.
Event warmup:

Sat in the car for a bit, chomping at the bit to get out there and start thsi race. My cousin got his bike out and start warming up on his rollers. Kinda funny to see peoples reactions while walking to the beginning. Walked down to the finish lines and warmed up a little bit with also some stretching.
Run
  • 2h 09m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Got down to the Inner Habor, and had to wait in line for the bathroom again and let my cousins go. Gun goes off and we slowly start. HERE WE GO!! Miles 1-3: very quick first 3 miles, tried to weave back and forth but then tried to concentrate on keeping a consistent motion. Mile 4-7.5 were a little hard considering the fact of the increase in hills. At around mile 7.5-9ish I got this pain below my belly button that was like I needed to let out a fart, every time I tried to nothing would happen. Figuring I needed to do more then just a fart I quickly tried to find a port a john within a close distance. Finally found one around mile 9.2 ish. Did my deed, and felt great coming out. My legs were a little tired considering the amount of hills in mile 4-8. Not used to those. I tried to suck it up and say no STOPING for the rest of the race. Stopped at say 1 mile left to get some last minute fluids in me and kept the pace up. The rest of the race was pretty much down hill and I crossed through Camden yards which was awesome. Came through the parking lot and down the shoot. Sprinted at the end with the crowd cheering. GREAT feeling. Crossed the finishline at 2:14: something. Knowing this wasn't my official time I took off my chip got the foil wrap and some fluids and tried to find my cousins.
What would you do differently?:

Run hills a little more. go further in training runs to get used to the feeling of my body at mile 12.5
Post race
Warm down:

Got soem fluids in me took pictures and rested up.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mostly the bathroom problem. I'm sure I could have broke or come even closer to breaking 2 hours if I didn't have that problem.

Event comments:

Great race, considering it was my first one. Great time, will definitly do it again.

Last updated: 2007-08-14 12:00 AM
Running
02:09:52 | 13.1 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/190
Overall: 0/5200
Performance: Good
Course: Semi hilly, beginning is up and down miles 3-8,9ish is up hil with the last 3 mile pretty much a down hill.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-17 4:22 PM

Pro
yep,
Subject: Under Armour Baltimore Half-Marathon

2007-10-18 8:51 AM
in reply to: #1012748

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: Under Armour Baltimore Half-Marathon

Usually when I have that "issue" it is because I ate something before the run/race.  If it is less than 3 hours or so, I won't eat anything because I used to always have problems with needing to go to the bathroom, sometimes even really bad intestinal cramping.  That was part of the reason when I was running when younger that I never thought I'd be able to run long distances.

Congrats on your first half!  It is a tough course to do it on, so you did a great job!

2007-10-18 1:52 PM
in reply to: #1012748

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO
Subject: RE: Under Armour Baltimore Half-Marathon

Ahh, race time will get you every time. Even with preperation and planning ahead of time, it can still happen! I don't know the secret to preventing that. Sometimes it's just unavoidable. Some pro athletes just crap themselves. Hahaha, you and I mere mortals, can afford to stop at a portapotty.

Congrats on tackling your first 1/2 marathon! A fine showing if I do say so myself. You'll be breaking 2:00 the next time around for sure.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Under Armour Baltimore Half-Marathon Rss Feed