Hayward, California
United States
Sunny
Total Time = 10h 46m 12s
Overall Rank = 135/220
Age Group = F20-29
Age Group Rank = 5/8
Pre-race routine:

After successfully completing my first 50K, I thought a 50 miler was the next logical step. I chose Firetrails due to it’s close proximity, and the trails it used. I have run and hiked on some of the trails, and know that they go through some really pretty areas. And the 7800’ elevation gain didn’t scare me since my first 50K had 4960’. However, I slacked a bit in my training since I had a half-iron triathlon 5 weeks prior to DCFT, and wound up with some nagging injuries. Oops. So, I threw in another 50K as a training run.

In the week before the race, I started getting nervous, since my road shoes had started chafing my feet, and my left calf was feeling prone to cramping. Not good! But, I was at least going to give it my best. Drove down to my parents the day before, as they live about 15 miles from the start. Had a nice dinner with them, and got a really good sleep (oh, how I love that pillow-top mattress!). My sister (who was semi-crewing for me) was also there, but had left behind everything I had given her to crew: map, cooler, Ensure, trail mix, pace chart. Doh! Thankfully I had more Ensure and trail mix, but not another map. I just had to hope for the best. I didn’t care so much if she brought me anything – I just wanted to see a familiar face.

Event warmup:

Got up at 5, dressed, and took off. Arrived, parked, prepared and checked in with plenty of time to spare. Saw a friend of mine, Dan, and said talked to him a bit – and got introduced to Craig. Pretty soon it was time to head over to the start, listen to the pre-race talk, and run! From my spot near the back, I didn’t hear much if anything, and soon the crowd began moving forward. We were off!!
Run
  • 10h 46m 12s
  • 50 miles
  • 12m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

It was dark enough I couldn’t see much of anything, so I stuck close to those who had brought lights. I had purposely left mine in my car, not wanting to be bothered carrying it. The first many miles went smoothly. Run… walk uphill… run… walk uphill… run. But after an hour I was getting familiar twinges in my left calf, signaling possible catastrophe. The walk breaks were helping, but I wasn’t sure if it would hold out for another 10 hours, especially with the hills. Time went by pretty quickly, and soon I had passed through the first couple AS. I came into Skyline gate (mile 15) right around 3 hours into the race. My sister had said she would be here… but I didn’t see her. Maybe the next one. Grabbed some munchies and set off for the next AS, hoping my sister would be there. Nope. Would I see her at all? Maybe at the turn-around, since it sounded like she might go there after Skyline.

The calf was holding out, but now the raw spot on my right heel was getting irritated. I had brought moleskin and duct-tape, but didn’t want to stop. The 2 sections of trail between Skyline and Steam Trains turned out to be the most interesting. The first had a steep climb, the second had some very nice shoe-sucking mud. And of course I ran out of water, having neglected to stop and refill. Oops. But before long I head a train whistle, and knew I must be getting close to Steam Trains. I ran in, pulling off my pack and opening it up, when I heard, “Yaaaayyyy Jessi!” My sister had finally showed up!! I swapped her my empty pack for a bottle of Ensure.

I hung around for a couple minutes (my longest stop) to chat with her before heading out to the turn-around. Looking at the elevation profile, I was not looking forward to this section at all. Perhaps why I lingered so long at Steam Trains. The trail just kept going down and down and down. My quads were already feeling the miles, so I went slowly, and was passed by many people. After what seemed like forever, I finally heard some cheers, looked up from my feet, and saw the turn-around. I hadn’t even noticed it when I’d come around the last corner! Since I was carrying a pack, I hadn’t bothered with a drop bag, so my stop was quick, and I left ahead of many of the people who had passed me going down. On the way back to Steam Trains, I just focused on moving forward. I walked most of it, but ran when I could. It took a long time, but mentally was not the longest section. I finally got back to Steam Trains after more than 2 hours – it was now just after 1pm (at mile 30.3). Refilled my pack which I was completely emptied, had more Ensure, and gave my sister a sweaty hug since she was taking off. :D

Things were still going well at this point. My calf hadn’t gotten much worse, and I didn’t think I had any blisters. But I knew the next 2 sections had a lot of downhill. By mile 35 (before the steep hill) my quads were pretty well toasted. I kept running, and just hoped they didn’t lock up before the end. From there to the end, it was pretty painful – but uneventful. I discovered that Coke is the most wonderful thing in the whole world. When I finally got back to Skyline (mile 37) around 2:35, I had Coke, M&Ms and Vitamin I. Ahhhh. That put some life back into me.

I continued on, going slower and slower down each hill, but began running portions of the uphills. I’d spent the first 2/3 of the race conserving energy, so now I began to really work the trails. In fact, I think I even picked up the pace over the last 8 miles. My goal had been to go under 11 hours, and I felt I had a really good shot at it. After the last AS, it was pretty much all out, running almost all of the uphills, passing a few people, and knowing I would actually make it. But time seemed to crawl by during the section.

The last ¼ mile was the best. There were complete strangers out there clapping and cheering all the runners on – spurring me to run faster. Finally I saw the finish. Hooray! Time was 10:46.

What I learned: 50 miles is a lot tougher than 50K; it’s amazing what you can push yourself through; Coke is awesome; my feet are fabulous! :D

Post race

Last updated: 2007-08-17 12:00 AM
Running
10:46:12 | 50 miles | 12m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/8
Overall: 0/220
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-18 6:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Dick Collins Firetrails 50

2007-10-18 7:48 PM
in reply to: #1014601

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA
Subject: RE: Dick Collins Firetrails 50

Good to see that you're slacking off since Big K.  :-)   50 miles is amazing!  I remember doing that hike in 5 days in boy scouts. 

That is truly amazing. Congrads and keep up the work.  Now you just have to convince your parents to let you get that new bike!

2007-10-20 10:15 AM

User image

Veteran
Los Angeles
Jess

Great race report. You are truly amazing to tackle these long endurance races. Great job and hope to see you racing sometime.
2007-10-20 2:00 PM

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ

You rock Jess- and you are just a little bit crazy!

Great job!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dick Collins Firetrails 50 Rss Feed