General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dallas, Texas
United States
75F / 24C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 29m 2s
Overall Rank = 82/490
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 11/42
Pre-race routine:

Because of the logistics of this point to point race, I awoke at 0300, ate breakfast and was on the road at about 0345. Arrived at T2 and the finish area about 0415. T2 opened at 0400. Setup T2 and then waited for about 5 minutes for a bus to take me to T1. Arrived at T1 about 0530. Setup T1 then hung around until the start. Talked with many people I knew at this race. The temperature was in the low 60s but the wind made it feel much colder. I was glad I wore a warmup suit. One of my friends wore only shorts and a tech t-shirt. He put his wetsuit on just to stay warm.
Event warmup:

No warmup. I should have brought a pair of running shoes to T1 so that I could run for a warmup. There was a beach area a couple hundred yards away from the swim start that could be used for a swim warmup. I didn't use it.
Swim
  • 29m 7s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim start was a time trial start. We went off 4 at a time, every 10 seconds. I wasn't sure I would like this format, but it wasn't so bad. It just took longer to start everyone. The reason for the TT start is because the start area was a narrow boat ramp. Although, I think they could have done a deep water wave start like at Prairie Man.

Swimming out to the turn bouy was pleasant and fast. The wind was at our feet. I passed many slower swimmers. The leg back in was a bit rougher. The wind was in our face and this caused lots of chop and waves. Not too bad, but just enough to get a mouth full of water every now and then. My biggest problem, as usual, was fogging goggles. Twice I had to stop and clear my goggles. Other than that it was good swim.
What would you do differently?:

Swim harder.
Transition 1
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

There was a long run from the swim exit to T1. We had to bag up our wetsuits into our equipment bag before leaving T1. Our equipment bags were going to be picked up and transported back to the finish area. This was a good transition even though it seems long.

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 08m 29s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 21.77 mile/hr
Comments:

I got into my shoes easily and headed out. The first 5 miles or so were up a slight grade and the wind was a cross/headwind. This was a relatively slow ride. After turning left on S Hampton, the wind became a tail wind and the fun began. From S Hampton all the way to T2 was tail wind and rolling hills. This course definitely was not flat. It's typical north Texas rolling hills. The road conditions were rough in a few spots but overall I thought the course was a lot of fun.

I rode at my LTHR for most of the time, except when going downhill. My average HR of 158 is ~5 beats below LTHR. So, I rode about as hard as I could for this course. I was passed by only 4 athletes and I passed many.

The view of the Dallas sky line as we biked over the viaduct was spectacular. I'm sure that made a good impression on some of the out-of-towners.

Maybe ride harder.
Transition 2
  • 01m 50s
Comments:

I got lost in transition. When I set up T2, I made mental notes about where my spot was, passed the tree, red & white flags. I completely got turned around, passed up my spot and had to double back. I probably lost a minute here.

Before getting to T2 on the bike, start reviewin in my mind where my spot is located. I didn't do that and it cost me.
Run
  • 47m 31s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

I got into the run easily. My legs felt fine. On the run out of T2, I saw Aaron directing run traffic. I hit the mile 1 marker in 7:50. That was right on pace. After that I couldn't find anymore mile markers. A friend told me the mile 2 marker was on the side of a building. After missing the mile 2 marker I just ran. I planned to run the 2nd loop harder than the first. A wierd thing was happening. I couldn't get my HR up to LTHR (~170). My HR stayed in the range from 160 - 165. My RPE felt hard, but my HR wasn't very high. Anyway, ignored all that (pace and HR) and just ran on RPE.

On the second loop I was passed by a guy running slightly faster than me. I got on his heels and let him pace me. Then a guy passed both of us and we both got on this heels. Then a 4th guy passed and we all got on his heels. For about 2 miles we ran, the four of us in a tight line formation. This worked out well becuase the straight away leading to the turn toward the finish was into a headwind. It was fun to run this way. About 1/2 mile from the finish our line fell apart. The guy leading pulled away and I fell back. I rounded the turn to the finish line and saw Craig directing run traffic. I also saw David (dgillen) at a couple points on the run course.

I was sprinting into the finish chute, but was passed at the finish line by a guy in my AG! That knocked me out of the top 10 (for whatever that's worth). He beat me by 10 seconds. I should have looked over my shoulder as I was approaching the finish.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, drank water. The voulunteers were handing out US Open towels soaked in ice water. That was great. I got a massage at the Texas Triple Threat tent. That felt great and prevented any soreness. I wasn't sore at all the next day.

Sat with David in the grass and watched the pros recieve their awards. Greg Bennett won $420,000. $60,000 for 1st place at the US Open, $60,000 for winning the points competition and $300,000 bounus for winning all 5 Lifetime Fitness races. That's a pay day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training specificity. Most of my training this year has been for long course - HIMs. One year I would like to race nothing but Olympic distance and see how fast I could become.

Event comments:

Great event. Well organized. Lots of volunteers. Lots of traffic control and police on the bike course. Great post race party. This event compares to the NAS and WTC events.

Last updated: 2007-06-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:07 | 1500 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/42
Overall: 133/490
Performance: Average
Avg HR: 153
Suit: Xterra Vengence - sleeveless
Course: Recantagular course.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:07
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:08:29 | 24.85 miles | 21.77 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/42
Overall: 72/490
Performance: Good
Avg HR: 158
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Point to point course starting at Joe Pool Lake and ending at the Reunion Arena in Dallas.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:50
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:47:31 | 06.21 miles | 07m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/42
Overall: 127/490
Performance: Average
Avg HR: 160
Course: 2 loop course around downtown Dallas.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-19 3:57 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
Subject: Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic

2007-10-19 4:26 PM
in reply to: #1016326

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: RE: Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic

Smokin' fast Tommy!  That bike course with the tailwind sounds like alot of fun.  And I too would like to see how fast you could get dedicating your training towards the olympic distance.

Congrats!

2007-10-20 4:33 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
A good, well executed race that has become pretty standard for you. Very solid splits all the way around. A good way to finish out the season.

Won't be long until IMAZ.
2007-10-20 11:13 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

Nice job, Tommy!  I thought the bike course was fun, too.  (If, admittedly, a little challenging.)

Getting passed right at the end sucks.  (Althought it's fun if you're the person doing the passing.)  :-)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic Rss Feed