General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long Distance Cycling during Marathon recovery? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-19 7:01 PM

Veteran
Mesa, az
Subject: Long Distance Cycling during Marathon recovery?
Ok, I am in a bit of a quandary. I am training to run the Desert Classic Marathon on Feb. 2nd. 2 weeks later on the 16th is the Casa Grande 300k brevet. Now, I have ridden the brevet series for the past 4 years and would like to get at least 1 brevet in. I figure the 300k is probably the best shot as the 400k even though it is a month later will likely be a bit more than I can bite off with as little training as I will be able to dedicate. I am pretty sure I could turn out a liesurely 300k without too much trouble but the question is can I do it without problems 2 weeks after a first marathon? I think if I could get my glycogen replaced since it is a non weight-bearing activity (particularly since I ride the Ultra-Cycling distances on a recumbent to save the pain in the backside). Am I wrong in thinking if I remember to spin and take it easy in the hills this would be doable?

2007-10-20 5:50 AM
in reply to: #1016538

User image

Champion
Chicago, Illinois
Subject: RE: Long Distance Cycling during Marathon recovery?
It all is based on how hard you push during the marathon and how well you recover. You might not do your best but anything is doable. A friend of mine did like 15 maratons in 6 days so anything is possible.

She broke both legs in the process so chance of injury is increased.

Idealy the less you push the better the recovery but 26.2 miles is 26.2 miles regardless.

The key is knowing your body and be willing to bail on the bike ride if needed.
2007-10-20 8:41 AM
in reply to: #1016538

User image

Expert
Toronto
Subject: RE: Long Distance Cycling during Marathon recovery?
It really does depend on you how fast you recover. I finished my first marathon last Sunday and by Tuesday I was ready to run again. YMMV but since biking isn't as joint stressful as running I think you should be okay, especially if you concentrate on you using your aerobic engine rather than your muscles during your ride - i.e. spin instead of mash. Good luck!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Long Distance Cycling during Marathon recovery? Rss Feed