General Discussion Race Reports! » 2007 Fleet Feet Sports Sacramento Golden State Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

2007 Fleet Feet Sports Sacramento Golden State Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
SACRAMENTO, California
United States
TBF
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 34s
Overall Rank = 287/430
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 19/31
Pre-race routine:

Turned out to be a great day for a race as the tempature stayed around 70 degrees.I woke close to 4am and gathered all gear into my truck as I downed a PB&J with a Rock Star drink. The energy drink keept me alert for the 1 1/2 drive, I'm glad that there was little traffic going to Sacramento because I was running late. I had planned on arriving at 6:30 for a 7am check in but ended up arriving after 7. I was fotunate that not too many people had arrived yet because there were plenty of bike spaces left. I picked a spot close to the run start because this is my weakest event.Setup,got marked, and met the neighbors and got in p/p (porta poty)line. The guy in front of me was going ballastic because he felt letting the ridders bike through the transition area was not cool and totaly unsafe,I thought it was kind of cool,turns out he was right! Watched the very late arrivers try to squeeze into spots, not by me!
Event warmup:

Stretched prior to putting on my rental wetsuit, putting the wetsuit on might have been all the warmup that I needed! Walked over to swim start around 8:30, distance from bike rack was close to a quarter mile. Made my way into the cold water and noticed why everyone was wearing a wetsuit, very warm and the boyouncy is incredible. Felt bad for a few that did not have wetsuits as they looked bad , they were shivering so bad, 60 degrees is darn cold! Did a few 50's to get feel of wetsuit and went to line up.It appeared that my fellow age groupers were very uptight as I wished a few good luck before our 9am start.
Swim
  • 16m 8s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

I am still thankful that I went to all the trouble to rent a wetsuit. The race start was about chest level, my wave got off to a clean start and everyone spaced out evenly. I found my rythm right away and about the 1/4 mark decided to speed things up. I was unable to find feet so I just keept pushing myself. I was feeling good with the wetsuit and all but was concerned I was breathing way too much. Comming into the turn bouy I felt my shoulders starting to tire, maybe because of wearing a full wetsuit? The turn bouy supprised me because I expected more people bunched up. I went around very quickly and sighted twards the finish and only saw a few same color caps in front of me. I was too exhausted upon exiting the swim, now I just had to get up this supersteep muddy makeshift stairwell that went straight up, WTF is this, and then to put the chute right at the top!
What would you do differently?:

Bilateral Breath
Draft Better
Train faster splits
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Bad transition, if anyone saw this they probably told the race officials I was drunk! I felt dizzy and weak, not what I expected when I finished my swim. I know that I took way too much time trying to focus on anything I was doing. Comming out I could not get left foot to clip in, almost crashed trying.

practice with shoes clipped in
watch language
Bike
  • 59m 34s
  • 15 miles
  • 15.11 mile/hr
Comments:

Started off slow because I was spent,just got my left foot clipped in and had to pull over for an ambulance. I bet it was a victim from the steep swim exit! This was a draft legal race, I could not catch up to anyone to draft off. I felt I was at a descent pace but was discouraged when groups would fly by, thank God this only happened a couple of times. I was at 17-20 mph on a fairly flat course. I had a challenge with my gatorade bottle, I must have screwed it on too tight as I could not get it to flow out, there were about 7 or 8 bottles left on the course that must have had the same thing, as I came close to wrecking I gave up on the gatorade and tried to chew on some jelly beans, I could not even take one bite without wanting to hurl so I spit them out. Arriving at transition I clipped my right foot out and stood on my left pedal, about three feet from dismount a guy looks me straight in the eye and jumps in front of me wanting to cross to the run start,good for him but at this point I was lacking all steering and moving around 13 mph. I wiped out badly on my new bike and was pissed and tired now!

Expect people to dart out on ride thru transitions.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Very tired and very discouraged and very slow!

Have booth feet clipped out comming into transition, never know when someone might jump out in front of you!
Run
  • 31m 52s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Did not care for the recreational bike traffic that was allowed through on the run course, I was startled a few times as they gave no warning. Flat as a pancake, but was a huge struggle for me, I just know I got slower as I neared the finish but I did manage to pass a few people. It was ugly running!

Improve run form
Run way more
Post race
Warm down:

Walk and sipped water for about 10 minutes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My splits are in line with the majority of my training times, but I felt as though I was spent the whole race on this fairly easy course. Looking back I felt confident with my fitness level going into the race,however this was misleading because it is very clear my training program was far too easy regarding durations and distances to compete with the performance level of the competition I encountered. The winner beat me by 30 minutes, it was very discouraging looking at many of the other split times.
My weight was my other limiter,physically I feel heavy and will seek a good power to weight ratio this off season.

Event comments:

I found the transitions to be aweful for such a easy course. Too many obstacles that were not ony extremely challenging but unsafe.
All finishers were very lucky to recieved a bottled water, sorry no gatorade or powerade, or anything else for that matter.
What was touted as an expo was a few abandoned booths.
I have seen alot better races.
As far as my race went, I am happy wth my performance, I feel like I have too much to learn. It is amazing how everything has to be perfect on a sprint race, there is no room to make up time. It was a great learning experience for me but I choose to skip this race from now on.

Last updated: 2007-06-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:08 | 880 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/31
Overall: 123/430
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction
Course: V shaped swim course with nasty exit straight up muddy stairs for about 30 feet, my guess is that the ambulance I pulled over for on the bike was because someone bit it. Not much of a current but the water was cold. Spectators had a great view as they could stand on bridge 100 feet above river directly over swimmers.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:59:34 | 15 miles | 15.11 mile/hr
Overall: 293/430
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: 3 Loop bike course with 3 hills perfectly spaced, one a couple hundred yards out of transition, one about halfway and the other just before crossing the road comming into transition.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 85
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Bad
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:31:52 | 03 miles | 10m 37s  min/mile
Overall: 351/430
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back flat run course,choice of running on paved road surface or soft shoulder.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2007-10-19 8:39 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Subject: 2007 Fleet Feet Sports Sacramento Golden State Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 2007 Fleet Feet Sports Sacramento Golden State Triathlon Rss Feed