United States
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 30m
Overall Rank = 152/2017
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 14/101
Event warmup:

Woke up with some stiffness in my left calf and psois. Stretched out and did some light jogging to warm up. Lined up halfway between the 7:00 and 8:00 seed signs and stood there for 15 minutes (getting stiff again) waiting for the gun.
Run
  • 1h 39m 42s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Very good run. I could definately feel only putting in 45 min a week for the past month. I started off strong, running well within my limits. After the first 2 miles of holding back and continously passing people, I turned it up a bit. I never pushed harder then I should, but definately left everything out on the course. I maintained a consistant pace throughout the race up until mile 10 where I hit the hills of Ft Ben st park. At the beginning, I figured if I had problems, they would be at mile 10. At mile ten, just before the big uphill section, I started to really feel my lack of training. I was really dragging until I heard a guy next to me comment at mile 11 that we were 81 minutes in. That meant I had 20 minutes to pull off 2.1 miles and meet my goal time. I knew I was going faster then 10 min miles, so the fact that I was on pace to beat my PR was enough to push out the next two miles. By the time I hit mile 13, I could see the line but I was at the bottom of the tank. I had just enough left for a final push across the line. Turning the corner to the finish line I see the time.....1:39:40.... I was almost into the 1:30's! I pulled out everything I had left for the final push across the line and crossed right around 1:40:20 gun time. After crossing, I realized that my corral was back from the start line, and that it took some time before I crossed the mat. Possibly 20 seconds or more....
What would you do differently?:

Train more. I could feel that even if I was just comfortable running 10+ miles, or had added another day or two of running, I would have been much quicker. There was a section in the middle of the race where I was pacing off a guy doing 7:20's and it felt relaxed.

Figure out shoes before the race. I bought a new pair of shoes three weeks out. After running in them for one week, I had to special order a new pair 1/2 size bigger and 1 width narrower. That gave me 1 week in the new shoes before race day. Turns out the shoes gave me blisters on the balls of my feet. That slowed me down too.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked over to the food tent and picked up a brat...fresh off the grill. Drank a bunch of water and headed for the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Basic Fitness

Last updated: 2007-10-20 12:00 AM
Running
01:39:42 | 13.1 miles | 07m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/101
Overall: 152/2017
Performance: Good
Course: The course meandered around Lawrence and out into Ft. Ben. It was advertised as being a flat race, but was anything but that. The first 4 or 5 miles were mostly flat with a few longish gradual climbs. Around mile 9, the course entered Ft Harrison state park where we were greeted with a sign warning of "Steep grade ahead". After these hills, it was a flat 2 miles to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes