General Discussion Race Reports! » Setup Events Championship Invitational Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Setup Events Championship Invitational - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log
Raleigh, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
81F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 47m 33s
Overall Rank = 81/94
Age Group = Clydedales
Age Group Rank = 3/6
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 6am, packed all of our stuff, got Maddie fed. Took Karen to D&D for some coffee and breakfast. Got out to the race site and got my transition set up. Hung out with Alice, Jeff, and Wade plus Maddie & Karen (of course!). Thanks Wade for helping me get my tires inflated!
Event warmup:

Walking around because I kept forgetting stuff. Mentally I just wasn't on my game this morning. Took a few strokes in the water to get a feel for the temp...nice and chilly.
Swim
  • 22m 52s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Rough swim. More body contact than normal. I kept getting hung up behind the same 3 or 4 guys, plus this one dude kept body checking me. He couldn't see to swim straight and kept clipping me from my right side. Got choked a couple of times when I ran into the back of someone and then got slammed from behind or the side as I was breathing. The short leg of the rectangle was particularly rough. It was only about 50 yds long so everyone bunched up for the two quick turns. Got psyched out mentally at one point because I though I was at the last buoy. The sun was right in my eyes so I couldn't see the last one. I poked my head up to negotiate the turn and realized that everyone else was going straight.
What would you do differently?:

Rig a tow line to the faster guys :)
Transition 1
  • 03m 15s
Comments:

Long distance from swim beach to TA. Walked a good part of it to get my heartrate down.

Wear skates!! :)
Bike
  • 1h 20m 5s
  • 25.6 miles
  • 19.18 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt great over a tough 1st 10 miles...was really having fun. Then just hit a mental wall after a climb at mile 10. Struggle mentally from 10 thru about 18, then finally got back in the game mentally. I just didn't have my head on straight today, but did pretty well anyway. I was shooting for 20mph+ avg, which turned out to be pretty ambitious given this course. I still almost got it.

Show up mentally
Transition 2
  • 00m 53s
Comments:

Easy T2 except for the dummy who took my spot. Had to move about 3 spots down the rack to find a gap for my bike.

Uh....have a steak dinner?
Run
  • 1h 00m 31s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 45s  min/mile
Comments:

Still struggled on the run. Thought I was going to be faster than I was, but this was a pretty challenging course for me. I had a stitch in my side for the first 1.5 miles and had trouble running more than 2 mins at a time. Finally got rid of it towards the end of mile 2. Started my finishing kick with about 0.3 miles to go. Got about 150 yds out and my left hamstring/quad started to lock up. Never completely cramped but definitely hampered my stride.

Transform myself into someone who can run fast :)
Post race
Warm down:

walked around a lot with Karen trying to get my stuff put away, get some after race snacks, etc.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Me :)

Event comments:

Really enjoyed the race. I wish more people who qualified had shown up. It would have been a really neat atmosphere with a bigger field. It was unique because there were so few competitors. It ended up being half as small as the next smallest race I've ever run.

Last updated: 2007-10-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:52 | 1640 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/6
Overall: 67/94
Performance: Good
Suit: Blue Seventy Reaction Long John
Course: Rectangle from a standing start next to the beach
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:15
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:20:05 | 25.6 miles | 19.18 mile/hr
Overall: 73/94
Wind: None
Course: Rolling my ass :) This was a tough bike course. Plenty of downhills and false flats to get the average speed up but there were some decent hills
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:53
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:00:31 | 06.21 miles | 09m 45s  min/mile
Overall: 88/94
Performance: Average
Mile 1--time may be off but, 9:53 Mile 2 10:49 Toughest mile Mile 3 8:25 This is accurate, but cost me. I was dizzy on Mile 4 Mile 4 11:01 Mile 5 11:02 Same as mile 2 Mile 6 9:09
Course: Two laps out and back course. Pretty hill, all paved roads in the park.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-20 4:55 PM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
Subject: Setup Events Championship Invitational

2007-10-21 10:08 AM
in reply to: #1017078

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NC
Subject: RE: Setup Events Championship Invitational
Great race Eric!  Having fun is what it is all about.  I am sure it got you motivated for next year.    Congrats on taking 3rd! 
2007-10-22 8:42 AM

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Great race!
This was a tough course and had some very tough competition. The hills around mile 10,11 and then at around 14 were really tough. Sounds like you have made significant progress in a short time.
Congratulations again on the great race and the 3rd place finish in your AG!
2007-10-22 12:38 PM

User image

Veteran
Sweet race Eric. Congratulations on the hardware. I think Alice needs to give us all a clinic on mental fitness.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Setup Events Championship Invitational Rss Feed