General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Dallas, Texas
United States
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 23m 21s
Overall Rank = 44/474
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 10/63
Pre-race routine:

Spent most of Saturday running around town getting setup for the race -- Expo / packet pickup downtown, then out to the lake for bike dropoff, finally back home up north. Really ate up the day. (Oh yeah, having to pay $7 for parking to pick up race packets was unexpected and really sucked.) Grandparents arrived late at night to watch the kids the next day.

Race morning: oatmeal, than a bagel in the car. Baggie of Kix during the bus ride from T2 to the lake. The shuttles to the lake weren't as much of a problem as I'd expected. Kinda cool out at the lake, so I was glad I had a long-sleeve shirt.

Paid a lot of attention to setting out my area and duffle to make it easy get everything back in. (Because they were hauling our T1 stuff back to the finish, everything had to be packed up before we got on the bike.)
Event warmup:

Did a run on the road around transition; a mile total or a little less. Got into the wetsuit, which was a nice way to stay warm, but didn't go swimming. It was a little too cool to stand around afterwards, plus the practice beach wasn't really convenient to the start.
Swim
  • 28m 29s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 54s / 100 meters
Comments:

Had some goggle problems at the beginning. Twice had to roll over to adjust them. Did pretty well with keeping on target for the bouys, although I didn't find a good draftee. Kept jumping from person to person. Finally found someone for the second half.
What would you do differently?:

The start was a little faster than I thought. I need to be more prepared next time. Also need to get the goggle wet / tested / on tighter before the start.

Might give us the comfortable draft and push a little harder on the second half of the swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 16s
Comments:

Unlike most people, I stopped after getting past the exit portion of the chute and took off the wetsuit there, rather than waiting to get to my rack. It's supposedly easier the wetter it still is. (Thought I'd try it.) Worked pretty well, and allowed me to roll it up during the rest of the run to my rack to get it into the bag quickly.

Got helmet and shoes on smoothly, and bag stuffed and closed. It's always rewarding to make a good mount and pass people struggling with shoes already clipped into pedals.

Age group: 13 out of 63
Overall: 72nd

Heels were a little stuck. Not bad, but I need to practice a little more.
Bike
  • 1h 08m 10s
  • 24.1 miles
  • 21.21 mile/hr
Comments:

Leaving the park, you immediately headed uphill. I got passed pretty quickly right away. The rolling hills were tougher than I expected. Never really got the sense that it was downhill overall, though it was. I kept a solid, steady spin up the hills

Near the end, taking the freeway over the river and seeing downtown was pretty cool.

Thought I was having a good bike ride, but I didn't do as well against my age group as I had hoped/expected.

Need to push a little harder.
Transition 2
  • 00m 49s
Comments:

Great transition. Person ahead of me stopped well before the dismount line, so went around and didn't hit the brakes until right at the line. Good dismount into a run.

Only bobble at all was that I grabbed my hat and run belt, started to run out, then hesitated for a second on whether I really wanted it the hat. It was overcast, so sun wasn't going to be a problem. Turned around to throw it back to my spot, but heard someone yell "This way!", so I spun back around and headed out. Aaron (JeepFleeb) was stationed just after T2 exit and we called out to each other..

Age group: 3rd of 63. (Was only 2 sec behind the fastest.)
Overall: Tied for 6th!

Don't grab the hat on the overcast day. Think through whether I want the hat before I hit my rack. Once going, don't hesitate.
Run
  • 43m 39s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

Thought I was getting off to a slow start. I wasn't familiar with the area, and didn't know what this run was going to be like. Tried to settle into a steady pace, and keep my eyes open. The pros were all coming in the other direction on their second loop, and they were flying! It was pretty amazing to see the pace they were holding. By the turnaround of the first loop, I felt pretty solid. Not super fast, but steady and stong. In the tunnel, I was passed by Ahmed, who must have been on his second loop. I said something encouraging to him, but he was concentrating and didn't notice. Craig (DocShock) was manning the Loop 2/Finish split all day, and called out as I went by.

Saw Aaron again going past T2 and almost threw my hat to him this time, but I didn't know if that would count as abandonment. As I mentioned earlier, it was overcast, so I decided the hat would hurt more than it helped. I ended up just carrying it the entire run. No biggie, really.

Having seen the course now, I started upping the pace a bit for the second loop. Tried to keep an eye open for people I know, but really didn't see any out on the course. Kept it steady on the uphill in the tunnel, then slowly started ramping up and picking off people. On the backstretch of the second loop, I was catching one group after another, which felt good.

I can't say exactly at which point I started, but my finishing kick in this race was probably one of my best. It was probably 1/2 mile out, at least, and I made good use of the downhill in the tunnel. Rounded the corner with the cheering/yelling ladies at the end of the tunnel and broke into all-out sprint. Passed lots of folks in the 1/4 mile between there and the finish, even catching the 17-year old who had passed my around mile 4 and beat him by maybe 12 inches at the line. The crowd seemed to love that fight to the finish! :)

There were some great volunteers out on the course. The aid stations were well manned and the volunteer were excited. There were two ladies at the top of the tunnel who yelled for everyong the *entire* race. It made me smile during that final kick. I can't believe they had any voice left by the end.

Not race a HIM the week before? Actually, this run went better than I expected, and I felt I timed/managed it well. It would have been nice to have scoped out the course before, as I was expecting a very flat run. (This had some mild inclines to it.) However, since it was two loops, I at least knew what to expect the second time.
Post race
Warm down:

Enjoyed the cool, wet towel they put on my and a little water. Talked to Aaron, to see who he'd seen come through transition so far. After that, I headed back out on the course to find Beth, jogging the route backwards. I found her about 1/2 mile back and joined her, and she was running with Jamie, a Fit2Train member who she met on the course and was keeping the same pace. Unfortunately, as they started the second loop, Beth's knee problems started getting worse, to the point where she had to start taking walk breaks. I'm sure she was disappointed, especially since she had been doing very well on the first loop; however, it was still nice to finish the rest of the course together.

When we finally got to the two volunteers in the tunnel, they were going hoarse. I asked if they needed anything and they said 'water', so I sprinted the rest of the way to the finish to round up some water for them. I was able to cheer for Beth crossing the line before turning around and heading back with their refreshment. (Then back to the finish one more time). All told, I probably did another 4 - 4.5 easy miles after my race.

Post race atmosphere was great. There was a grassy hillside facing a stage with a band (also used for the awards). The quality of the post-race food was only average, though there was certainly plenty of it. bananas, bagels, apples, soda, cookies. (There was nicer stuff in the VIP area, but I wasn't invited.) The collection of expo booths was nice, and some of the vendors were also giving out food - muffins from one, protien smoothies at another. In addition to the regular massage tent, the Accelerade crew had an additional massage setup. (which I used)

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Unfamiliarity with the bike course is one thing, although lack of bike speedwork recently is probably more likely. Sounds like I need some more interval sessions

Event comments:

I admit being a little skeptical of how this was going to come together. But the logistical issues of point-to-point were mostly handled well. Police and volunteer support were outstanding. The time-trial swim start wasn't too bad, the bike was decently challenging, and the run in downtown and around Reunion was enjoyable.

Having the pros there was cool I guess, though I honestly didn't pay much attention to them, except for when they were passing very nearby, headed the other way on the run. The special VIP section irked me a little, just on principle.

The venue was one of the better ones, especially post-race, with athletes lounging on the hill, listening to the band and chatting.

The entry fees were pretty pricy. That might keep me away next year, although I have no regrets about having it done it this first time. All-in-all, a good event

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-08-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:29 | 1500 meters | 01m 54s / 100meters
Age Group: 19/63
Overall: 102/474
Performance: Average
Suit: Xterra Full
Course: Sort of a right-handed hockey stick. ~650m out, then a right turn for a couple hundred. U-turn and back towards the middle (into the wind and chop) before angling back to start. Hit a cooler patch of water on that last leg. Wonder if that's where they got the temp reading. Start was down a boat ramp, four at a time.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:16
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:08:10 | 24.1 miles | 21.21 mile/hr
Age Group: 15/63
Overall: 63/474
Avg HR: 156
Wind: Strong
Course: Point to point over city streets. 25 miles of cones every 15 feet. Wow! Police or volunteers at *every* intersection or driveway. Even some highway entrance and exit ramps were blocked off for the race. A few rough patches of road, but they had often coned off two lanes, giving you room to maneuver around bad spots.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 93
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:49
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:43:39 | 06.21 miles | 07m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/63
Overall: 47/474
Performance: Good
Course: Two loops on the roads through downtown around Reunion arena. First half of each loop was more uphill, then generally downhill for the second, although there was a little uphill near the end. Included a 'tunnel' section.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-20 11:02 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Subject: Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic

2007-10-23 3:56 PM
in reply to: #1017327

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Subject: RE: Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic
It was great to see you out there. Great results, especially considering you did a HIM the week before.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota U.S. Open Triathlon Olympic Rss Feed