General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi from Norway Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-21 11:59 AM

Subject: Hi from Norway
I'm 26 years old and just recently started running and loving it! I've done ballett for most of my life so have trained quite a bit.. Just not be doing any sports!
Not long ago I did my first half marathon Good fun!

Now I've set my self some new LONG term goals.. I would love to be able to do an Ironman comp.. HAlf distace at first. My question is how long do you think it would take to get to that level and can anyone sign up for an Ironman comp?

2007-10-21 12:16 PM
in reply to: #1017526

User image

Master
Central, IL
Subject: RE: Hi from Norway

Hey from America!  Welcome to BT. 

Ummmm....your question is common.  I'd start out with some smaller goals, like a sprint tri and see how you like it.  Maybe borrow some equip. as this can be an expensive sport. 

Here is a great thread to get you started:  http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/discussion/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=18656&posts=135&highlight=newbie%20bumpable%20thread&highlightmode=1#M970739

Enjoy! 

2007-10-21 12:37 PM

Thanks for that. Good advice
2007-10-21 12:41 PM

User image

Master
Living in the past

Welcome to BT, from Wisconsin. I hope you find this community as fun and supportive as I have.

I echo the comments about "expensive sport", it surely is. But, heh, I can think of far worse ways to spend some money....

I'll be attempting my first HIM distance this next summer. I completed an Oly distance as my first race this past August, with about 4 months of semi-serious training. Not knowing your overall fitness level, I would hestiate to comment, but I think it is pretty common for people to reach HIM distance within one year of serious training. There are training plans on this site that get you conditioned to be able to COMPLETE the HIM distance, not necessarily WIN.

To my understanding, most every Ironman (branded) race, as well as the non-branded (same distance) events can be entered without official qualifying. Given the popularity of the Ironman races, the trick is to get registered - many events fill within hours of open registration. IM-Wisconsin opens registration for the following year either the day of or day after the current year race, and fills within hours for about 2000 slots - I think they changed this rule this year, so don't quote me.

Hope this helps...and welcome again.

2007-10-22 10:35 PM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member

Welcome to BT! 

I spend 2 months in Norway (in 1982) and the people were very friendly.  Hope we can return the feeling. 

If you do a web search on triathlon or multisport, you should find some races in Norway.  You can see whether there are qualifying races or can you just sign up for the full Ironman distance.  If you're willing to train, they can be lots of fun. 

2007-10-25 8:43 AM

User image

Expert
Reykjavik, Iceland

Juhuuu, another Scandinavian

I am from Denmark but now live in Iceland. So I guess we have the same problems biking in the winter time

Like others said, the best and smartest way is to start at shorter events and then building from there. This dose not mean that you can not do an IM next year, if all you want to do is finish it, but the risk of injuries are a lot higher.

You will find a lot of help and support here And there is ALWAYS somebody who can answer you questions

2007-10-26 6:50 PM

User image

Elite
South Florida
God dag!  Welcome to BT!  I have family in Norway but have never been yet - it's top on my list of places I want to go someday.  My grandmother was from a town that starts with a D near Oslo (I can never remember unless I see a map) and my grandfather was from Skudneshaven.  One of my cousins has a vacation house there so if I ever get to visit that's where I'll be!   Good luck with your tri training.
2007-10-26 8:55 PM

User image

New user

Welcome! I've really enjoyed being a member here. Tons of information!! Have fun reading and chatting, but don't let it interfere with your workouts!!
2007-10-27 8:40 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario

If you already did a marathon, the odds are that you can do a HIM.  You do not, however, tell us how much time it took you to run your marathon nor do you give us any information about your swimming and cycling.  Therefore we cannot even hazard a guess as to how long it will take you to get to the level where you can do a HIM.  As for signing up for an IM camp, anyone who can afford it can!

Take a look at the HIM training program available on this site and see if you would be comfortable training with it.

2007-10-27 12:13 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Hi & welcome... My father emigrated to the US from Norway as a boy - he's from Stavanger and went back to visit a few years ago. Next time he goes I want to tag along with him...the pictures he brought back were amazing.

I hope you enjoy BT - there are lots of good threads and articles with advice here, and I'm sure you'll find what you need to meet your goals.

Kristen
2007-10-27 12:30 PM

User image

NICE, France
Dag and welcome to BT. I am newish too but have already learnt much. like you am wondering about doing a HIM next year

2007-11-01 3:43 AM

Thanks for the friendly welcome and all the good tips!

I've just joined a swimming course to learn how to crawl. I must say it looks a lot easier than it is!!! I find the breathing extremly difficult.. But have decided to give my self as much time as I need to learn cause really want to get it right.

I've also startet doing spinning classes. I'm following one of the programs here on BT. I think I want to do my first comp sometimes in the spring if I can find one that is And as you've suggested I'll start with the sprint distance and see if I can do that

The running is the easiest for me right now, did a lot of it before the half marathon.
Think I need to focus the most on my leg muscles. When I did the half marathon I could feel that I wasn't strong enough.. Any good tips for this? Just keep running or try to build spesific muscle groups?

I used to live in Australia, but since I moved back to Norway my english has deteriorated so much!! Find it really hard to write english again.. So you'll have to excuse all the spelling mistakes and my grammar Hopefully you sort of get what I'm trying to say

New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Hi from Norway Rss Feed