General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Floridian Triathlon Super Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Great Floridian Triathlon Super Sprint - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Clermont, Florida
United States
Sommer Sports
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 05m 30s
Overall Rank = 86/123
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

I rode to the race with 3 girlfriends. By the time we got there, it was lightly raining. They started feeling hesitant about racing. I encouraged them to ride over to the start, get their packets, and wait and see as it was 2 hours to the race and it's Florida. So we all go to head over, me in the front, and I ride slowly uphill and at the top turn around and no sign of them. So I wait and wait and finally go back down to find all three bikes loaded back on the car rack. Ahhh well, they said they'd wait while I raced so I headed over feeling stressed. They walked over and hung around while I set up transition. Then I went back and we watched a lot of the IM and HIM distance folks coming in from the swim. By then the sun was starting to break through in patches. Finally, at about 8:45 they decided to go back and get their bikes and do the race. Then it took FOREVER for them to get back. They came back about 9:20 (I guess that they went thru some more back and forth about doing it) and got set up. We then watched the last two distance folks get out of the water (2 hours of swimming, yikes) and got to get our feet wet. STRESS!
Event warmup:

peed a few times, walked around looking for my girlfriends, admired IM and HIM bodies as wetsuits were pulled from them. Right before the start 2 of the 3 announced that right after the race we had to rush out of there because they had a birthday party to take their kids to with a friend who HATES folks being late....MORE STRESS....
Swim
  • 07m
  • 437 yards
  • 01m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

swim was just average, I did about half breast stroke and half crawl. My navigation was awful. Tried not to think about ameobas.
What would you do differently?:

maybe swim a little in the 2 months before hand.
Transition 1
  • 03m 12s
Comments:

there was a long run to the bike, through some sand, sand is slow and so am I!

remember it's a race
Bike
  • 31m 7s
  • 8 miles
  • 15.42 mile/hr
Comments:

Beautiful cool riding. I probably could have pushed it a bit more, but was happy to be there. Some areas had some potholes/erosion, and the corners were pretty damp and sandy from the rain, but it was a good route and good ride. I tended to slow down too much on the turns being conservative. I passed a few people.

I always feel like I have to save something for the next leg, maybe I don't.
Transition 2
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

I was a little slower than usual T2. My running gear was far back with another bike crowding me. Not really an excuse, but it did seem to slow me down.

Take a little more time getting set up. I was stressed from the girlfriend thing and didn't focus well.
Run
  • 22m 4s
  • 2 miles
  • 11m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

My toe was really bothering me by this point, so I had to walk a bit. Legs felt heavy. Overall it was nice run and lots of cheering folks along the way.
Post race
Warm down:

Well, we had to rush off. I had to at least pee and change shorts, which I felt stressed about as there was toe tapping going on. We ate some bagels in the car as we drove home.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Stress/anxiety. I think my mind is my worst enemy.

Event comments:

This was a lot of fun and I'm glad they add it in to the other races (Great Floridian and FLorida Challenge) - we got more cheering fans that way, and in a small way felt a part of the bigger races. Next year I'll drive myself and stay and help out - that would have been even more fun. A good time was had by all, and my first 'placing (3rd)' - even if only 4 in my age group, I at least beat one person! Too bad I didn't get to get my award and hear my name called. Argh....next time!

Last updated: 2007-10-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:00 | 437 yards | 01m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/4
Overall: 0/123
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: triangular course, mass start on shore.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:12
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:31:07 | 08 miles | 15.42 mile/hr
Wind: Little
Course: We started out up a hill, a turn and some more hills. After all, it's Clermont. Then things flattened out and we road around the lake.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:18
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:22:04 | 02 miles | 11m 02s  min/mile
Course: flat out and back on the trail by the lake
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-10-21 12:13 PM

User image

Expert
Orlando, FL
Subject: Great Floridian Triathlon Super Sprint

2007-10-21 6:53 PM
in reply to: #1017533

User image

Expert
Herndon VA
Subject: RE: Great Floridian Triathlon Super Sprint

Hey Ann,

Congrats on the 3rd place!  Too bad about the friends.  It sounds like you would be better off driving by yourself.   Hopefully none of the ameobas followed you home.  Great race.

Ernie

2007-10-21 8:02 PM
in reply to: #1017533

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Great Floridian Triathlon Super Sprint Rss Feed