General Discussion Race Reports! » 3rd Annual Ride for The Lance Armstrong Foundation Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

3rd Annual Ride for The Lance Armstrong Foundation - CycleOther

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Modesto, California
United States
Fun Sport Bikes
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 03m 5s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Oatmeal with a peach yogurt and just one cup of coffee to get warm. Short drive to LBS and just got everything suited up from my truck.
Bike
  • 3h 05m
  • 50 miles
  • 16.22 mile/hr
Comments:

I did not get the experience I was hoping for. I would have liked to do some pacelining and learn from some of the veteran riders. There was one pack of 7 advanced riders who casually rode out front for about 5 miles and then vanished. I managed to run into them at the aid stations but could not catch up. I skipped the first aid station of the four, just felt it was too early. I kept my speed around 20 mph the first half and was having a blast up to this point. The second half was right into the wind and was not fun, but I knew it be good for training so I pushed thru and got out of the saddle for the hills. At the 3/4 mark I drifted off by myself, then I started running into Dogs, and lots of them. Every farm house for about a ten mile stretch, they all had them for herding the cattle, sometimes more than one. They would charge at me trying to head me off because I was at around 16 mph,when they got about 4 feet from me I would yell stop as loud as I could. I did this about 8 times and then I was in the clear. Not that I was racing but I could have broke three hours but the stoplights held me back. It was a uneventful arival so I just got comfortable and got some food.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, just need many more miles of training.
Post race
Warm down:

Put running shoes on and walked about 1/8 mile, ate my burrito, 2 peanut butter cookies and 2 cokes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Wind, most of the course was rolling hills but were spaced too far to keep speed up.

Event comments:

Great fun and great weather made for a very good ride. I really wanted to get the experience of biking 50 miles. I very glad I went.

Last updated: 2007-09-20 12:00 AM
Biking
03:05:00 | 50 miles | 16.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Course was one loop around farm country. Rolling hills but nothing real steep.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 16
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-21 3:36 PM

User image

Modesto, California
Subject: 3rd Annual Ride for The Lance Armstrong Foundation
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 3rd Annual Ride for The Lance Armstrong Foundation Rss Feed