Badgerland Striders
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 4h 21m 45s
Overall Rank = 4/104
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4a and ate some Shot Bloks, a banana and a PowerBar. Got my stuff ready and we were out the door by 5a. Its a little over an hour drive, so we made it to race site at 6:15a. Race starts at 7a.
Event warmup:

Did some active stretching and a short jog around the parking lot.
Run
  • 4h 21m 45s
  • 31 miles
  • 08m 26s  min/mile
Comments:

After the gun sounded I took off and was on the heels of the leader. The first 1/2 mi is on the road, so it was pretty easy holding a 6:30 pace then for that time. We hopped on the trail and my HR rose in the lower 160s. After a few miles and some of those rocky climbs, the HR was above LT and only raising. I dialed it back a bit and let that guy go.

I took it easy for the next 2-3 miles on the uphills and held low 7s on the "flats". Even then the HR was still a bit around LT and still too high. Another guy that was following me passed and took off. I was kinda glad to see him go by. About a mile after he passed I started to walk the uphills and take it a little easier to corral the HR into a more reasonable zone - though, it basically stayed about 160-165 the whole race.

After that last guy passed me I was running all alone in 3rd place. I kept chugging along and passed some solos, saw Amy and other Donkais out there a couple of times. This whole trail is pretty deep in the woods with a few road crossing which are good for spectating. Running alone was really nice as I didn't have to worry about anything. Just running, watching my HR, going forward, and watching the trail so I don't wipe out.

Overall I felt pretty good though I was slowly deteriorating from the course. Around mile 24 I tripped on a root but caught myself. As I caught myself the inside my right leg cramped up pretty hard. I stopped to stretch it out, popped a couple of S-Caps and continued on. It bothered me for most of the remainder of the race and I could feel the same area getting tight on the other leg. Must be the rocks. Those rocks were also really getting to my right foot also. The downhills were really getting painful. I had to ease up on those as well to keep the pounding to a minimum.

Around mile 27 the 4th place guy finally caught up to me. With walking the hills, my legs near cramping and taking my last Gu at 3 hrs (I think I dropped 1-2 on the course) I was just waiting for him. I was running off of guts here and nothing more. He came and went and I kept on. But, after 1-1.5 miles I caught up to him and he was within 50 ft of me. I saw the "2 miles to go" mark and started to kick what I could to catch him. Well, that kick, even though it wasnt much, lasted about 1/2 mi and stripped me of everything that was left in me. I let him go and ran in at a steady pace to finish the race up. As I was running in to finish Chris's little boy, Will, was yelling "Run faster, run faster". Ok, Will! So I gave it short last kick for the last .01 to the finish. Awesome! My first 50k complete! And a tough 50k course at that too!
What would you do differently?:

Not go out so fast. Control my HR better. Bring more Gu.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a bit. Stretched and tried to work out some cramping and lactate acid. After about 30' I started to dip into the post race chili.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The course, lack of trail running and overall lack from training since IMWI. I felt really undertrained coming into this race.

Event comments:

I'd hate to mark the "Overall course based on my ability" as "Too Hard" for me sounding like a puss, so I'll mark "Just Right" even though the course was tough as hell. Too Hard = no finish, so Just Right seems about the correct rating for this race for me.

Given the course I'm happy with how the race went. I totally underestimated the trail and some of my running stats reflects that. This was by far the toughest run that I've ever done. Not so much the distance, but the course - 100%. I ended up with 4th Overall and 3rd male. The guy that took 3rd overall was also in the Master's Division, so he took the win there instead of 3rd OA.

Last updated: 2007-09-14 12:00 AM
Running
04:21:45 | 31 miles | 08m 26s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/104
Performance: Average
Avg/Max HR: 161/174 :: Avg/Max Cadence: 82/104 :: Avg Stride Length: 3ft 8in :: Out: 2:00 :: Back: 2:21
Course: An out and back on the Ice Age Trail starting out in Greenbush, then heading through town and southbound on the trail.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-22 11:05 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Glacial Trail 50k

2007-10-22 3:56 PM
in reply to: #1018561

User image

Expert
Michiana
Subject: RE: Glacial Trail 50k
Great job!!  Sounds like a fun race.
2007-10-23 9:11 AM

User image

Expert
Wind Lake WI
Way to rock your first Ultra. You looked strong each time we saw ya.
2007-10-23 9:30 AM

Iron Donkey
, Wisconsin

Cramps - you gotta love them and respect them.  You need to package Will somehow and keep him with you for those inspirational bursts!

Way to go, Yams!  It's not the idea of doing an Ultra, but doing the Ultra on a trail makes it that much more tough, yet fun!

EEEAAAWWWW!!! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Glacial Trail 50k Rss Feed