Setup
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 46m 34s
Overall Rank = 29/50
Age Group = W 40-44
Age Group Rank = 4/5
Pre-race routine:

Woke up around 6am, ate a bagel, packed the car and headed to Starbucks. Got a cup of coffee on the way to the race site but it didn't do much to clear the fog. I started feeling rough Friday night and by Sat morning things weren't much better. Chest felt tight, my throat was sore and my head was in a fog. I must have made 5 trips back and forth from the van to the transition area just to get set up. Thank goodness Jeff, Wade and Eric were there to guide me along.
Event warmup:

Putting on my wetsuit is a warmup in and of itself.
Swim
  • 22m 51s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

Still not sure what happened here. I got in the water, started swimming and by the first 100 meters, I was done. I had no arms, no legs and I couldn't breath. Did I go out too fast? I don't think so. My arms just felt like jello from the get-go. I actually thought I was going to have to flip over on my back or even be pulled. I resorted to the breastroke for a few strokes to catch my breath and then I just decided to 'survive'. I continued on but, subconsciously, my brain was trying to get back to shore b/c every time I sighted I was headed right back to shore. I just can't swim counter-clockwise I guess. ;)

What would you do differently?:

Not catch 'the croup' the night before the race.

Seriously though, I need to do more of a real warmup. I just didn't have the energy or where-with-all to do that this morning.
Transition 1
  • 03m 35s
Comments:

Long run from the water to the transition area. I was actually VERY dizzy and stumbled around the transition, half knocked my bike off the rack and almost passed out. Oops. Luckily, Wade was there to talk me through it. I stopped, took a few deep breaths and continued on . I was a little worried that my Vertigo was back, given how bad I felt in the water. But once I got on the bike I was okay.

Not get so dizzy?
Bike
  • 1h 21m 46s
  • 25.6 miles
  • 18.78 mile/hr
Comments:

I was a little worried headed out of transition b/c I had felt so bad in the water. I thought "it's going to be a long day". But I was pleasantly surprised -- I felt great on the bike. I was able to catch a couple of girls within the first mile or two. All in all, I was only passed by one female on the bike (an awesome Athena, no less).

Nothing.
Transition 2
  • 00m 51s
Comments:

Nice small transition area made for a fast transition time. Don't think I've ever been in and out in under a minute.

Nothing.
Run
  • 57m 32s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

The first mile was slow and painful. I started stitching from the get-go but I consciously controlled my breathing and was able to keep the stitches to a minimum. My mile 4 I felt pretty good and was able to pick up the pace a bit as long as I kept my breathing controlled. Felt like I might pass out when I crossed the finish line so I must have been doing something right. ;)

Still need to figure out why I stitch. This only happens during tris, not during training or in running races. The only thing really sore today is my stomach from where I stitched, not my legs?!?!?

Considering I've been injured for almost a year and this is only the 3rd time since Dec that I've run 6 miles or more, I'm very pleased with this run.
Post race
Warm down:

Found Jeff and Wade, cheered Eric in and then went to the van and stretched.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Who knows? I did the best I could on that given day. And I'm happy with that.

Event comments:

Beautiful race course. Given the opportunity, I will definitely do this race again. Mentally, I had one of the best races all year. I was able to keep the negative voices at bay and really enjoy being out there.

Last updated: 2007-10-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:51 | 1640 yards | 01m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/5
Overall: 24/50
Performance: Bad
Suit: QR Full
Course: Counter-clockwise rectangular course. This course is a lot shorter than 1640 yards indicated. This was an 'equalizer' race start. All the women started 14 minutes before the men.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Bad Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:35
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:21:46 | 25.6 miles | 18.78 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/5
Overall: 17/50
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Beautiful, rolling course through the countryside. The first 7 -8 miles were rolling and then there were a couple of bigger climbs b/n miles 10 and 14. The second half of the course was definitely easier than the first half.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 00:51
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:57:32 | 06.21 miles | 09m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/5
Overall: 34/50
Performance: Good
Course: 2 lap out and back course with one medium and one big hill you ran twice. The good thing about this course was being able to see all the competitors multiple times. Was able to high-five Eric a couple of times which kept me moving!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-22 2:41 PM

User image

Veteran
Charlotte
Subject: Setup Championship Invitational

2007-10-22 3:12 PM
in reply to: #1018968

User image

Master
Reston, VA
Subject: RE: Setup Championship Invitational
Awesome race!
Congratulations on making it through the swim and coming back strong on the bike and run.
2007-10-22 6:36 PM

User image

Veteran
You are a ROCK. Way to keep battling those demons and finish the race. You're gonna be scary fast when you get healthy.
2007-10-23 7:57 AM

User image

Expert
Charlotte, NC
And you still beat me
2007-10-25 7:57 PM

User image

Veteran
You did awesome. Most people would of never started that race as bad as you felt. To say nothing about the PR!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Setup Championship Invitational Rss Feed