General Discussion Race Reports! » ITU Duathlon Long Course World Championships Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

ITU Duathlon Long Course World Championships - Duathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Richmond, Virginia
United States
Richmond Sports Backers
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 35m 13s
Overall Rank = 320/325
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 26/26
Pre-race routine:

Checked in my bike in the afternoon, and got all my stuff together the night before. That morning I got up about 2 hours before race start. I had 1 banana and 2 Powerbars, vitamins, and Emergen-C in the first hour. A couple swigs of Cytomax right before the start.
Event warmup:

My warmup was ~10 minutes of running up and down 2nd Street next to the transition area and starting line. Mutual wishing of luck with my new local friend Stan.
Run
  • 1h 26m 9s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 09m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

This first run actually felt very good. This is a strong pace for me. I was pretty much behind almost everyone, but I kind of expected that. The first AG women passed me at about 15 minutes (they started 5 minutes after the men). I really enjoyed the Canal Walk section of the course. Even though the pavement was harder there, it was a unique and enjoyable scene.
What would you do differently?:

I'm not sure what I would do differently. I possibly could have picked up the pace some.
Transition 1
  • 03m 50s
Comments:

Knowing I wasn't going to win the race, I took my time... but I still forgot my gloves! (Turned out not to be a problem.) Changed shoes and socks, and put cycling shorts on over my one-piece uniform, and ran out to the bike mount area. As I was in T1, the elite male race started. Kinda fun to be a part of 2 race starts!

I could have been a little better organized: layout the T-area better. I could have not forgotten my gloves. I could learn the whole "put-your-shoes-on-the-bike-ahead-of-time-then-run-and-jump-on-the-bike-putting-your-feet-in-the-shoes-later" thing.
Bike
  • 3h 05m 39s
  • 47.22 miles
  • 15.26 mile/hr
Comments:

The cramps started as soon as I got on my bike, although they didn't become disabling until later on. They started in my calves, then moved to my quads, groin, and hamstrings. By slowing down (and walking half of the steep hill once on the 3rd of 4 loops), I was able to "manage" the cramps and take in enough hydration to start feeling a little better. But it made for a slow, overall, bike ride.

The course support was not made for BOPers like me. They only had 1 aid station, and it only had water. There were a couple times when I was running out of hydration and I wasn't sure if I could make it to the aid station again.

I also had stomach problems and I'm not sure why. I often use Powerbars in training, but hadn't used them in a race yet, so that might have been part of it.

But other than my lack of proper nutrition and training, it was a nice ride. Very scenic. Perfect weather. Lots of spectators. Fun.

I need to figure out this hydration/nutrition thing.
Transition 2
  • 04m 8s
Comments:

No real problems, but pretty much took my time to be safe that I didn't start cramping up.

Again, I could learn the whole dismount-without-shoes thing.
Run
  • 55m 29s
  • 4.66 miles
  • 11m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

The second run didn't feel so great, but because I had gone slower on the bike and was able to catch up on my hydration somewhat, it wasn't too bad. I'm actually surprised that my pace is as good as it is.

This run was more of a walk/run. I would run until a cramp started to come up, or until my stomach said to slow down. Then I'd walk until I felt better. I played leapfrog with a couple other runners: my run was faster than theirs, but their jog was faster than my walk. One of them I eventually passed; the other eventually left me behind.

I drank Gatorade from the aid stations, filling my bottle when I arrived. The volunteers were again very supportive.

Given everything that was going on, I think I did OK. I pushed when I could, slowed when I couldn't, kept a positive attitude, and kept moving forward. I was definitely determined to finish.
Post race
Warm down:

Triumphantly ran across the finish line. Then got a quick check from the medical person on the other side and was thankfully OK'd. She put an ice water-soaked cloth on my back (yeeooww!) which was nice, and I got some Gatorade and other post-race goodies. Stretched a little, then gathered up my stuff to head back to the room, get on a plane, and fly home! Got home about 1 AM due to delays.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Other than my nutrition not working, I also didn't train enough for this race. Being significantly overweight slows me down a lot too.

Event comments:

It was fun being part of Team USA. I don't know if I'll ever get the chance again, so I decided to take advantage of it. There were some really amazing athletes there, as well as a lot of very sexy bikes! It was a great experience being part of the Parade of Nations and being around people who had come from all over the world to do this race. All the athletes that I met were very friendly and very motivated; very inspirational.

Last updated: 2007-07-03 12:00 AM
Running
01:26:09 | 9.32 miles | 09m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 26/26
Overall: 322/325
Performance: Good
Course: Nice course through downtown Richmond, across a couple bridges, along some industrial business areas, then along the very nice Canal Walk back to downtown.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
T1
Time: 03:50
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes:
Biking
03:05:39 | 47.22 miles | 15.26 mile/hr
Overall: 318/325
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Other than the rough sections, I like this course. There were a lot of turns. One steep but short hill after the transition area. Then a couple not-so-steep-but-more-than-"rolling hills" hills throughout. Nice figure-8-ish loop around the small, man-made lakes. My favorite part was along the James River: lots of trees, quiet, country neighborhood setting.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 04:08
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:55:29 | 04.66 miles | 11m 55s  min/mile
Overall: 309/325
Performance: Bad
Course: The second run was just 1 lap of the same course that we did 2 laps of in the first run.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-10-22 6:48 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: ITU Duathlon Long Course World Championships
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ITU Duathlon Long Course World Championships Rss Feed