World Triathlon Corporation
87F / 31C
Sunny
Total Time = 16h 27m 54s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Slept amazinging well. Went to bed around 9:00 and woke up feeling really refreshed at 4:00. Overall the best sleep I've had before a race.
Event warmup:

None, this is IM afterall.
Swim
  • 1h 51m 40s
  • 4224 yards
  • 02m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim was great. I stayed about 150 yards back from the start and away from everything. I had clear water the entire way. The highlight on my swim was seeing two pods of dolphins. The first was a group of five babies who were swimming right under me. I stopped for about 2 minutes just to watch them swim. The second group I saw on my way back -- this time there had to be about 20 of them and they were jumping and playing all around me. There was also a group under me. There went another 3-5 minutes. Needless to say my swim time indicates that I spent quite a good deal of time just enjoying the dolphins. I actually forgot that I was doing an IM for a time. It was truly amazing!
What would you do differently?:

Learn to swim faster. But if I had swam faster I never would have seen those dolphins. For for the first time ever, I'm really glad that I suck at swimming!
Transition 1
  • 03m 54s
Comments:

T1 was fine. Sunscreen application left much to be desired, though. I paid for not putting it on myself later on.

Bring my own sunscreen and use it everywhere, especially on places where my shirt rides up!
Bike
  • 8h 03m 34s
  • 112 miles
  • 13.90 mile/hr
Comments:

I got on my bike after a great swim and felt empty. I didn't want to race at all. The first 10 miles were just gutting it out, trying to think of a reason to stay on my bike and not go join my family for a late breakfast. My heart completely was not in it. After we got out of Kona I found my groove and I felt pretty good for about 30 minutes. I ate, drank, and was having a lot of fun. I even passed a few people. Then the stomach issues hit and I really never felt good again the rest of the day. Fortunately they were serving cola on the course and I knew from experience that drinking that should help. So I literally did the whole day on cola, small sips of gatoraid, and an occasional pretzel. On the way back from Hawi, the cross winds were really strong and I had to work hard to stay on my bike and off the pavement. I was really glad that I had ridden this part earlier in the week and practiced staying upright in that kind of wind. I also really used Karen Smyer's advice about good places to eat and drink on the course (not that I was doing much of that anyway).

The worst part of the bike was from mile 70 on. I talked to a friend who is a fast biker later and found out that he didn’t have to deal with this so conditions must have worsened as the day went on, but the headwinds were terrible heading back to Kona. I mean working really hard going downhill and reaching max speeds of 14 mph (DOWNHILL) bad. I went from thinking that I would have a PR on the bike to wondering if I would actually make the bike cutoff. I was hot, tired, and dehydrated. Surprising, though, it was during this section of the course where I passed the most people. At least I wasn’t alone out there. I guess my experience really helped me to gut it through and push when I least felt like it. As much as I hated feeling sick this summer on the bike, those experiences taught me ways to get through the difficult moments that came fast and furious during this bike. Without those hard times I never would have known what to do on day where I spent most of the time with awful stomach cramps.

Figure out my nutrition so that I wouldn't feel like throwing up for 8 hours. Bike even more into the wind during training (although I did a lot of that).
Transition 2
  • 06m 10s
Comments:

I was a little slow here. I tried taping my knees, but couldn't get my legs dry enough for the tape to stick. So I left, stopping by the bathroom on the way out, hoping that I wouldn't regret not taping my knees (I didn't!)
Run
  • 6h 22m 38s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 14m 36s  min/mile
Comments:

So, I made the bike cut off and headed out onto the run. My stomach was still bothering me, so the run was done on ice chips, coke, and eventually chicken broth. The best thing I can say about the run is that I stayed consistent throughout all of it. My pace was the same, if not a tiny bit faster, at mile 23 as it was at mile 3. I ran some, walked most, and tried to focus on not passing out or throwing up. It was hard. Really hard. About mile 17 right before the turn around in the Energy Lab I tripped and fell off the side of the road right into the lava. That was one of the few times that I was actually running near anyone and he wanted me to get medical help. I was fine, bruised and bleeding, but fine. And really mad. I didn’t want anyone telling me that my race was over. So to prove it to myself and anyone watching, my fastest and longest run of the day was the ½ mile after I fell. I even finally caught and passed the German couple that I had trying to catch up to for the past 10 miles. On a positive note my IT Band didn’t hurt until mile 23, and my right foot never hurt at all. The next day the only thing that really hurt was the sunburn I got (it eventually blistered and ranks up there with giving birth in the pain factor).

It was beautiful running down Alii drive to the finish. I was so happy to have made it through such a difficult day. I got my medal, t-shirt, picture, and massage. Then I threw up. A nice capstone on a difficult day.

Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Now, no more of these until I can reasonably expect to finish in 12-14 hours. I promise. Not that speed is everything, but I really do want to push myself in that area. I got in on a lottery spot. I entered, not really thinking I would get chosen. I actually forgot that I even entered (one of those past IM Wisconsin things I did when I was depressed). I was so grateful for a chance to race among the best, although once the cannon went off I didn't really see these people except in passing as they were heading in and I was heading out. As I was racing, I thought many times about my son and his battle with cancer. Thoughts of his treatment kept me going when I really wanted to quit. And I was reminded on a regular basis of those kids that didn't make it: Noah, Katyln, and Gabby. My life is richer for knowing you, even for such a short time. You taught me that I have so much to be thankful for.

Last updated: 2007-10-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:51:40 | 4224 yards | 02m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:54
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
08:03:34 | 112 miles | 13.90 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 06:10
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
06:22:38 | 26.2 miles | 14m 36s  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-10-22 8:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Minnesota
Subject: Ford Ironman World Championship

2007-10-22 8:08 PM
in reply to: #1019591

User image

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème
Subject: RE: Ford Ironman World Championship
Wow... you are amazing.  Congratulations on gutting it out... literally... on a tough course under tough conditions.  You truly showed your iron will and spirit out there and I'm glad you could channel inspiration from your son and see it through to the finish. 
2007-10-23 4:37 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Congrats!

You have the mental toughness and determination required of Ironmen. It is a huge accomplishment

If you like IM racing do them, is it about the time or the experience? I think your focusing on your son and kids lost to cancer show life is more about your finish time, but living fully and at time doing big things...which you do. 

Dolphin swimming, I'd stop and watch too...very cool. 

Thanks for sharing your Kona experience with us regular folks.  

2007-10-23 9:12 PM

User image

Elite
Cheesehead, WI

Such an awesome race report - gave me goosebumps at times, a queasy stomach at others, and a sense of awe at others.

You are an Ironman! You did it!

2007-10-23 9:33 PM

Regular
chicago, Il
um, I'm totally speechless. you, my dear, are truly amazing. congratulations. you just accomplished something huge...savor it.
2007-10-24 10:27 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Long Beach, CA
Wow amazing race! Congrats on pushing through! I don't know if I could have hung in there like that. Way to go!

2007-10-24 10:37 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Congratulations, what a race. Nice job battling through some tough obstacles. Thanks for sharing your race with us.
2007-10-24 10:43 AM

User image

Expert
wow! Congrats. How inspirational. It is amazing how so many endurance athletes will think of so many reasons to keep going and not stop during a race...and suprisingly most of those reasons have nothing to do with your own goals and aspirations. Your kona finish will be an inspiration for your kids!
2007-10-24 11:15 AM

User image

Master
White Oak, Texas
Great report and congrats..
2007-10-24 1:59 PM

User image

Veteran
Acworth, Georgia
Congratulations on gutting it out and becoming an IRONMAN (woman).
2007-10-24 2:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NC
Great race report and thank you for sharing.  I always had it in my head that I would never be able to make it to Kona.  This is  my first tri season.  After reading about your race and determination, it is something that I now know I want to shoot for.  Thank you for the inspiration and congrats for staying strong and finishing. 

2007-10-24 3:17 PM

User image

Elite
Venture Industries,
Melissa I just watched your finishing video, Great Stuff!!!! Congrats!!!!  Awesome Job!
2007-10-24 4:16 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
I would have been watching the dolphins too!

Well, you did a great job! Sounds like you really toughed it out... with wanting to vomit the entier time and then falling down.

Congratulations... IRONMAN!!!!!
2007-10-24 8:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Greenwood, SC
Great race! Congratulations! Good for you taking time to enjoy the dolphins.
2007-10-29 4:09 PM

Veteran
I think this was the most inspirational race report I have ever read! You should be completely proud of yourself. Now that a little time has passed, maybe you can put your amazing accomplishments into perspective. You are one tough cookie.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ford Ironman World Championship Rss Feed