General Discussion Race Reports! » ITU Duathlon Long Course World Championships Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

ITU Duathlon Long Course World Championships - Duathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Richmond, Virginia
United States
Richmond Sports Backers
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 37m 5s
Overall Rank = 249/331
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 7/12
Pre-race routine:

Dropped off bike in transition on Saturday after riding one loop (12 miles) for course.
Event warmup:

Trotted a bit after 1/4 mile walk from hotel
Run
  • 1h 15m 54s
  • 9.32 miles
  • 08m 08s  min/mile
Comments:

I was happy just to be there, knowing it was the last multisport event of a long season.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. 4 minutes faster than I'd run a 15K road race 2 weeks earlier. Decent pace for me.
Transition 1
  • 01m 22s
Comments:

I had to grab my bike computer from my transition bag as I'd forgotten to put it on when racking the bike the day before, but it didn't cost me much time.

Nothing, glad I remembered the computer though.
Bike
  • 2h 37m 19s
  • 47 miles
  • 17.93 mile/hr
Comments:

If you were used to crits or city riding then you'd be okay. It took a while to get the rhythm of the loops and staying 'on' attention wise was important.

Maybe take the turns a bit faster, but who knows. 47 miles was pushing my comfortable racing limit.
Transition 2
  • 01m 1s
Comments:

Decently clean transition.

nothing.
Run
  • 41m 32s
  • 4.66 miles
  • 08m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Really warm on one downwind segment, but I usually drop about 60 seconds a mile on the 2nd run so I was pretty happy with my pace.

Not much. Maybe pour more water on my head on the way out of transition for cooling purposes.
Post race
Warm down:

Well, I got a bottle of water and poured it over my head. Then I drank Gatorade, found my best buddy and went to sit in the shade until I cooled sufficiently to go socialize, walking back to the hotel to shower & come back for my bike.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My late season attitude, my lack of running speed work, perhaps my happy to be at Worlds tourist attitude? Who knows. Had a great time & am satisfied with my finish.

Event comments:

It wasn't an easy bike, but heck, it's Worlds. I thought on checking out the run route initially that it was too convoluted, but it was interesting during the actual race, and there were lots of cheerful volunteers. The only complaint were the Snagajob.com party stops, where loud music and fans with noise makers were inspirational only in that you wanted to really push it to get out of range of the obnoious sound. Overall, great race.

Last updated: 2007-10-22 12:00 AM
Running
01:15:54 | 9.32 miles | 08m 08s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/12
Overall: 11/331
Performance: Average
Course: Double loop. We'd run it the day before and it was fairly interesting. The bridges didn't have inclines and the view was really nice.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:22
Overall: Good
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike? Average
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
02:37:19 | 47 miles | 17.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/12
Overall: 0/331
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 4 loops of interesting urban terrain, lots of turns, several distinct sections, the 3 initial bridge crossings (one out & back), Riverside drive sction with hills & turns, the 'merry-go-round' of turns up near some lakes and rough pavement back to start, 4 times around.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:01
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:41:32 | 04.66 miles | 08m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/12
Overall: 0/331
Performance: Good
Course: One loop of the first run. Same hill 1/4 mile out, same slight uphill rise at finish.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-22 8:52 PM

New user

Subject: ITU Duathlon Long Course World Championships

2007-10-22 11:20 PM
in reply to: #1019640

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: ITU Duathlon Long Course World Championships
Congrats on qualifying for, and completing, the Worlds race. I appreciate your "happy to be at Worlds tourist attitude". There seemed to be a few people who were just a little too serious there.

By the way, did you run the course with Team USA on Friday morning? I was the big guy bringing up the rear.

Cheers,
Mike
2007-10-27 7:31 PM
in reply to: #1019769

New user

I came down on Saturday and had an interesting time figuring out the run route. Fortunately one of the wives from the bunch that ran it Friday helped out with directions.

I knew that I was just there to give it a decent try, and that by being too serious, I'd miss out on some of the fun. That being said, it was just a 5 hour drive down from Philly for me, not the big deal of flying from somewhere distant getting all nervous. Going up that last hill at the end, grinning knowing that I'd finished without embarrassing myself (okay I don't embarrass easily) was a nice finish to the season.

First cyclocross race next week. I'm a tourist at that too, but it gives me an excuse for a 2nd bike.
2007-10-27 7:36 PM
in reply to: #1019640

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member

Congratulations on the worlds experience!!!  Sounds like an awesome late-season event, and that you might just have gotten your money's worth.

And big ups on working the cyclocross angle to score the extra bike. That's some thinking, right there.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » ITU Duathlon Long Course World Championships Rss Feed