Pleasanton, California
United States
On Your Mark
Total Time = 1h 19m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I stayed at DC's place since he and AS were doing the tri as a relay team. I was really nervous as this was my first tri. Even had to do the pre-race bathroom run. I ate some bars and water.
Event warmup:

I stretched a bit but didn't do any swimming or anything.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 400 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

I didn't do much training for the swim, maybe twice in the pool... no open water training. I figured hey, I grew up in Hawaii, I can swim 400m in my sleep.

DC told me not to blow my wad in the first 100m. I thought he was being funny. But sure enough, I was gasping just before I reached the buoy! I struggled to keep swimming so that I don't get picked up by the folks in kayaks and have to take the kayak paddle of shame. After fear, shame is a great motivator.
What would you do differently?:

I would train more for the swim obviously. And definitely not start out so fast. And the main thing is to relax in the water and breath. I was so hyped up, even when I tried to recover by doing breast stroke, I was stroking at 100mph and getting more tired.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

After the swim I was dead tired, huffing and puffing, walking up to my transition area. I sat down for a bit getting my shirt and shoes on, telling AS how tired I was.

I then took off without my number so had to come back after about 300m biking.

First tri, it was an experience :). But I would leave my number until the run segment and put it on as I'm running.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 11 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

As my first tri, I didn't push myself too hard on the bike segment. I just wanted to finish and get on with the run segment without toasting my quads. During the out-and-back, a girl in front of me took the turn too wide, hit the gravel and slid out. I was half thinking to help her, but there was a volunteer nearby and well, this was a race. Sorry ma'am, chivalry didn't win today.

Maybe train more bricks so I know I can push myself harder on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I rode my bike with my running shoes so this transition was very quick.
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.1 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Running is always my strength and its only 5k so it was very manageable. I didn't have my Garmin to tell my distance so I just ran by feel. The hills were managable since I do harder hillwork in training.

DC was taking pictures so I hammed it up for the camera. It was my first tri so I was having fun. And since I took it easy on the bike I had lots of energy left for the run.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretch, eat muffins and drink lots of fluids.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

For my first tri this was a great experience. Next time I will know better but the great unknown is what kept me playing conservative.

Event comments:

Great first tri, conquered the great unknown. Now I know that swimming is my great weakness and that growing up in Hawaii doesn't give me a swim waiver. I am scared straight for my next tri.

Last updated: 2007-09-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 400 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: none
Course: Basically start at shore then swim out to a buoy, then angle to the left to the shore on the other side of the beach area of the lake.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:00:00 | 11 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course: This was close to being the same course that I trained on since my bro lives nearby so luckily I was familiar with it. Essentially a flat course with a couple of hills. There is an out-and-back segment where you have to go around a cone. The course was essentially smooth, but some railroad tracks to be careful around.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03.1 miles |  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: The course wound all over the place on gravel and packed dirt trails. No mileage markers, but lots of aid stations. The last 400m or so is flat to the finish line.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?