General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Periodization Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2007-10-23 8:52 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs
Subject: Periodization
Good morning all, I have a quick question about peridozation. At what volume do we really need to concern ourselves with the reduced volume of periodization? I am just now getting to the point where I can consistently run 20 mi/week, but I am still pretty light on the Bike/Swim portions of training. Is it worth it, at this point, to take a down week? Over the last 3 weeks, I have been steadily building my weekly run volume and am wondering what to do this week, to maximize the benefits of my training.

Also, Can/should we stagger the down week based on the discipline (S/B/R)? Can I take a reduced running week this week, but up the swim/bike numbers then reduce, bike next week, etc.?

What are the benefits/drawbacks?

Thanks all

SARGE

2007-10-23 8:58 AM
in reply to: #1020021

User image

Runner
Subject: RE: Periodization

Maybe I'm not understanding part of your question, but periodization, to me, is having specific time frames to focus on specific aspects of training.

Being a runner, I would have a build period, a hill/strength period, a speed period, and a race period.  Mileage for each varies, yes, but so does the intensity.  The first phase is more miles, but at a generally easier pace, the hill period starts to increase the intensity on some of the runs, but will only slightly reduce the mileage, and may keep it the same.  The speed and race periods show lower total miles, but involve much higher intensities. 

2007-10-23 9:36 AM
in reply to: #1020039

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
What Scout said ..... each phase has a different training load invloved, usually the maximum "volume" is in the build period.  After that the workouts tend to be more specifically focused and as you get closer to race day they become more intense but shorter duration.
2007-10-23 9:45 AM

User image

Champion
MA

Seems like what you are asking is about rest/recovery weeks if I read your question right not really about periodization.

You need them as you absorb your training when you rest ie improve as your body adapts to the stress you placed on it training. You may feel great this week but you need to look 6 months out..you can't always be on and not let your body rebuild and recover.

Most folks do 3 weeks of regular training based on where they are in their training cycle and then do 1 week rest. I do 2 weeks/1 week as I seem to need more rest and I do better on that plan.

Rest weeks for me have lower volume and also no intensity everything is aerobic. My rest weeks this year are more training than my regular weeks were 2 years ago so everything is relative to where you are. 

Edited by KathyG 2007-10-23 9:46 AM
2007-10-23 9:50 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs
Yes, you are correct, I misspoke. I am referring to the rest week. Sorry about the confusion. Let me try again......

Good morning all, I have a quick question about the rest/recovery week of training. At what volume do we really need to concern ourselves with the reduced volume on the 3rd week? I am just now getting to the point where I can consistently run 20 mi/week, but I am still pretty light on the Bike/Swim portions of training. Is it worth it, at this point, to take a down week? Over the last 3 weeks, I have been steadily building my weekly run volume and am wondering what to do this week, to maximize the benefits of my training.

Also, Can/should we stagger the down week based on the discipline (S/B/R)? Can I take a reduced running week this week, but up the swim/bike numbers then reduce, bike next week, etc.?

What are the benefits/drawbacks?

Thanks all

SARGE
-----

2007-10-23 9:57 AM
in reply to: #1020156

User image

Runner

No worries.

As for a rest week....  Depends on the person.  As Kathy mentioned, she does a 2/1.  I've seen training plans that have a small step-back on week 4, and a bigger one on week 8.  I've done alright with minimal reductions, too, but I was doing a much easier pace overall.  So in some respect, I think it also depends on what training cycle you're in (see how I tied all that other stuff together?  Sweet...).

Ultimately, it's somewhat an experiment of one.  There are general training guidelines to follow to get you started, but you'll learn what volumes your body can handle.

If you're unsure about things, I think the best thing you can do is find a plan to match your goals, track your progress and how your body responds to it, and modify it based on that feedback.

2007-10-23 11:00 AM

User image

Lethbridge, Alberta
Bronze member
As you're getting ramped up and feeling out what volumes work for you, err on the side of a little extra rest now and then. The fatigue can sneak up on you. That makes the training less effective, you're more prone to injury, etc.

Edited by Micawber 2007-10-23 11:00 AM
2007-10-23 9:08 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
Yes, it is ok to have a lower volume run week while upping your bike/swim. When I was trying to coach myself, I would do 3 weeks of increasing volume followed by 1 week recovery in all three disciplines. When I started working with a coach, she would manipulate volume in each of the disciplines (example, week 1 high swim, week 2 high run, week 3 high bike, week four general reduction in all). My body like her plan a lot more than mine.

Pam
2007-10-23 9:26 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Colorado Springs
Awsome replies, thanks all I was thinking I would tailor my monthly plan like this:

Week 1: Hard week all S/B/R

Week 2:Reduced Swim/Normal Bike/Run

Week 3:Reduced Bike/Normal Swim/Run

Week 4:Reduced run/Normal Swim/Bike

Will it work? Or will I be sabotaging myself?

SARGE
2007-10-23 9:31 PM
in reply to: #1021645

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
I would still recommend a reduced load in all disciplines for the recovery week.  Maybe altering the schedule you have so it has "increased" where you have "reduced" in those 3 weeks with the Week 1 in the next cycle (really should be week 4) being "reduced" in all 3 disciplines.  And the reduction should not just be in volume but also intensity as well.  You will gain as much if not more in those rest weeks then you will with the hard weeks (assuming you actually follow the plan and don't cheat like a lot of athletes do by pushing it in the recovery week).

Edited by Daremo 2007-10-23 9:32 PM
2007-10-24 9:36 AM

User image

Expert
Michiana

For triathlon training, I go 3 build / 1 recovery.

I generally take just the run volume down (by as much as 40%) as it seems to take the most toll on me.  I keep the intensity low (no intervals, speedwork, etc.) across all three disciplines and no weight training that week.  I maintain bike and swim volume, but again only zone 1 and zone 2 training.

For marathon training, I go 2 build / 1 recovery.  During recovery only zone 1 & 2 stuff, maybe one fairly easy tempo run that week.

Note: I'm a 37 year-old on my 2nd year of endurance training.

2007-10-24 2:51 PM
in reply to: #1021645

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
AF_SGT - 2007-10-23 8:26 PM

Awsome replies, thanks all I was thinking I would tailor my monthly plan like this:

Week 1: Hard week all S/B/R

Week 2:Reduced Swim/Normal Bike/Run

Week 3:Reduced Bike/Normal Swim/Run

Week 4:Reduced run/Normal Swim/Bike

Will it work? Or will I be sabotaging myself?

SARGE

Something about this doesnt sit right with me. "hard" is a relative word, and usually refers to intensity, but I suspect you are really referring to total volume? If so, let's just say you are doing X units of S/B/R, so Week 1 would be 9 units, weeks 2,3 & 4 would be 8 units, but varying disciplines. This isn't really a good pattern to stress your body with, and I don't think you'll see good progressoin in fitness in any of the sports.

Much better to do say, 7 units, 8 units, 9 units, 6 units...and I'm using teh term "unit" simply to represent a product of volume and intensity in the 3 sports altogether.

Am I making any sense?

If you want to vary your focus on each sport, you'd do much better to spend a month on each of the 3 sports durign your off season so that your body can really learn to adapt it's musculature and neurologic repsonse, rather than changing up the frequency of each sport so often.

Check out Mike Ricci's article on sport rotation, posted currently on the first page of forum posts..

Hope that wasn't too psychotic of an answer!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Periodization Rss Feed