General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Feel like you cant breath in cold water Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-05 12:18 AM

Subject: Feel like you cant breath in cold water
Any advice? - I just did a tri for the first time in about 6 or 7 years. I had this problem before - but didnt expect it this time. The water was 65 degrees and I had a new wetsuit that I hadnt worn before - when I got in - I was fine- I just treaded water for the five minutes before the start - then when the horn went off - I took off- I couldnt go 10 feet and I felt like I couldnt expand my chest - like I couldnt get any air - I nearly lost it- it was a terrible feeling and I couldnt shake it - I simply couldnt put my head in the water and I ended up doing breast stroke most of the way - and once in awhile taking a few strokes. The hardest part is - I am an excellent swimmer- it is my best sport!- I am very frustrated and wonder what it is I can do to get over it? - thanks

2004-11-05 2:09 AM
in reply to: #79323

User image

Veteran
Peoria AZ
Subject: RE: Feel like you cant breath in cold water
I just got done reading a book called "swimming to antarctica". It was written by Lynn Cox, one of the worlds best long distance swimmers. If you'd like to read some inspirational swimming material plus find out about how to work around cold water swimming conditions this is the book for you. I owe getting through my last 750m (actually was 1000m) swim to Lynn...all I could do was keep thinking in my head "this is for you Lynn". If she could do all the amazing stuff she did then my short little swim was nothing. Good Luck!!!
2004-11-05 7:30 AM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
In all probability you just tensed up when you hit the water and could not relax.  The only thing to do is to train in cold water.  The human body is quite adaptable and can learn to stand many things including working in cold conditions.  I did a triathlon in early summer in 62 degree wearing only a pair of cycling shorts and goggles and I did not find it cold, not because I am "tougher" but because I am acclimatized to it. 
2004-11-05 8:27 AM

User image

Master
Mechanicsburg, PA
This is one of my favorite articles on the subject.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/MarineSafety/Tp/Tp13822/menu.htm

Usually feeling like you can't get any air is a result of a paniced state with an elevated heart rate, which can cause you to breath in a shallow manner. This in turn causes you to retain Carbon Dioxide and the panic cycle continues from there. My biggest recommendation is to gradually get into the water (if that's an option) and then before you have to start, put your face in the cold water - even if it's for a few seconds at a shot. Eventually, you will be able to put your face in the water and be comfortable. This will cause your heart rate to drop and help you relax - gotta' love the mammalian dive reflex

-Frank
2004-11-05 12:41 PM

User image

Expert
reid, don't feel alone. I had the same reaction getting into ~60F water at a recent triathlon. And I wasn't wearing a suit. Looks like a suit might not be the solution though, and I'll need to practice in the water to get used to it. There are a few local triathlons that run in either the river where I did mine, or the lake further upstream, so I'll probably practice in both before the next event.
2004-11-05 6:14 PM
in reply to: #79330

New user
I read Lynnes book too this summer. What an inspiration she is!!Even though she admits her body was gifted from birth with an amazing ability to remain warmer than most in the coldest of waters, what she accomplished is nothing short of unbelievable. I would recommend her book to everyone on this site! Barbara

2004-11-05 8:03 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Read my only tri report and I had a similar feeling. Swimming is not my best part, but after all the training, I couldn't believe how panicked I felt. I couldn't breath, my heart rate raced up and stayed up, I felt like all my senses were blocked....couldn't see great, constricted and why was I doing this?

I think not practicing enough with a wetsuit really hurt me. I couldn't put my face in at all after about 15 feet. I was second to the last in swimming. The lifeguard's surf board looked very appealing.

I hope to do open water swim practices next summer ever week. I know a group that goes near by, swims, bikes and then runs...all distances of a sprint each week.

I hope it will get better for both of us. I dream of doing an Ironman in 2007, I best learn how to swim in open water better.

Kathy
2004-11-05 11:52 PM

, Alabama

reid - I was fine- I just treaded water for the five minutes before the start - QUOTE]

Since you said you were in the water a full five minutes before the start, I'm just wondering if it was the water temp that got to you and not just panic.  Was the water difficult to see in?  Even if you are an excellent swimmer, if you are only used to pools or other clear water areas and the race water was cloudy, that could cause a panic as well.  Just a thought.  If not, perhaps you need to actually warmup with a little swim (getting your face wet before the race) rather than just tread water before the race.   The coldest water I've ever raced in was 62 deg. and you just can't train for that in Florida.  Good luck and never give up.

Sharon

Edited by snikpos 2004-11-05 11:54 PM
2004-11-06 12:23 AM

thanks - the water was very murky (lake) and I did not submerge my head first. I was hoping it wasnt just me- I had done a short event years ago and had the same problem.- and hadnt done a race since.....obviously I need to go do some open water swims and I am going to have to somehow find a way to relax. it was a 1000 m swim and I swore I would never make it. I normally swim 3 or more times that in a pool wth no problem - anyway - I appreciate the responses - I sure hope I can get past it- talk about ruin your day! - thanks again, reid
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Feel like you cant breath in cold water Rss Feed