United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 57m 34s
Overall Rank = 420/593
Age Group = 40-45
Age Group Rank = 53/73
Pre-race routine:

Well, since this was mine and my brothers 3rd triathlon, I guess you could consider what we did the night before the race a routine: We didn't sleep. I don't mean we were restless, I mean no sleep. nada. bubkiss. We will have to figure that out before our HIM in April. Anyway, we spent the night at the Anatole, even though we live in the area, and went to dinner with friends and family the night before and then retired to our room to map out strategies and go over transitions, etc. We were, as always, very organized. We made the 3rd bus to T1 and set up and then embarked for T2. As we walked to our bikes, the notion of wearing a parka to the swim start wasn't a bad idea afterall. We should have gone with our gut. It was so freaking cold, that I wound up sucking CO2 from the light generator for a good hour, just to stay warm. I am not cold by nature, but there was an unrelenting wind (from the south, but that didn't matter) and I was wearing what I term as breathable latex, which provided zero relief from the cold. We were both all caloried up and not over fluidized (yup, I made those words up), so we didn't spend the 90 minute wait in line at the perpetual port-O-potties. Which reminds me...next time at a big race, stand NEXT to the line and try to determine which people ate their fiber too late in the morning. High comedy.
Event warmup:

Well, the light generator fiasco notwithstanding, I did manage to nearly give myself carbon monoxide poisoning while trying to stay warm. Yeah, yeah.. I should have run, but I didn't want to wreck the wonderful icicles forming on my shoes. Okay, that's an exaggeration. I watched people run. The lake warmup was OUT, since my T1 towel, which was only big enough to cover my shoulders, was serving as my cape of warmth, and I was not about to shed it. Suffice it to say, my event warm up consisted of avoiding hypothermia by getting up close and personal with a motor. I haven't seen that in any training logs here on BT, but I am sure it will catch on.
Swim
  • 34m 28s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

1st OWS race swim, and it showed. As I was waiting in line to go with the 3 other guys standing next to me, suddenly I get tapped on the shoulder and a guy says, "What's your name and where are you from?" He's holding a microphone. He was the announcer/emcee/pro-race interviewer. Did I lock up? Hell no. I grabbed the mic, introduced myself and told everyone that my brother was already out there in a white cap and I would be catching him on the 2nd 5k loop. (I didn't catch him, but my bravado had a profound effect on the racers behind me, evidenced by the snickers and giggles escaping their mouths). I gave the mic back, and as soon as I did that, the starter told me to go. Keep in mind, I was feeling like Han Solo hangin in Jaba's crib at that point, so I wasn't real thrilled about jumping in WATER. I approached cautiously, as did the other 3 racers in my wave. It was like Bambi checking out the frozen pond. As I got my big toe in the water, I realized it was about 15 degrees warmer than the ambient temperature and in I went. Well, hell! If I had known it was going to be that warm, I would have skipped the light generator altogether! The swim went OKAY, as in I didn't drown. I fought off a few people, passed a few, zigged, zagged, gave encouragement to athletes and rescue people on boats who looked on with concern as I veered off course. Yep, I will be working on sighting next race, fo' shizzle. No goggle problems and I didn't take in too much water. I am not an OWS noob - spent my life by the ocean - but racing in it was new to me.
What would you do differently?:

Practice sighting a little better and be much more aggressive. I gave myself 1 race in OWS where I would be a little more timid and feel my way through it. Next race, Type A is coming to play.
Transition 1
  • 04m 17s
Comments:

I have to get more adept at this transition. It has been my worst part of any of the 3 races I have done.

Practice and go over what I am going to do BEFORE I get out of the water. KISS.
Bike
  • 1h 18m 10s
  • 26 miles
  • 19.96 mile/hr
Comments:

I need to figure out how to push myself on the bike. I stay in aero 95% of the time, but I feel like I am just out for a nice easy ride whenever I finish. I need to be a little tired when I hop off the saddle. Heart rate stays too low, legs have too much left, even after the 10k.

I will look into that whole cadence thing and see if I can't start throwing up some 20mph+ averages. My bike can do it, so I should be able to as well. That's my story and I am sticking to it.
Transition 2
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

I. Suck. At. Transitions.

See above.
Run
  • 58m 17s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 09m 24s  min/mile
Comments:

Yeahhh...the run...THAT...
Well, let's just say I am tapping the cusp of my abilities, because I always know when I finish that I could have done better. Developed a cramp or something in my left quad around mile 4, but for the most part, I was just happy to be there. As I get further into triathlons, I will figure out how to push myself and leave it all out there. I know I didn't give it my all this time, as evidenced by my 7:30 split time for the last mile and my all out sprint the last 200 meters. Yeah, that wasn't adrenalin, that was not exerting enough during the race. I will have sub 9 minute miles by next year.

Remember that I am in a RACE and not a fun run... don't get me wrong, I am having fun, but it is a competition, and I think in my brief race career that I lose sight of that. It's a natural progression, I imagine, but starting next year, I am racing to win. I am absolutely sure I won't, but that's the mindset I need. It will remind me that a constant HR of 153 for an OLY is probably taking it a little easy. But, I digress.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed line (got the dreaded watch-look-at-picture) - by the way, I will be hitting that Polar about 50 meters from the finish line from now on to avoid that. Nice idea, ain't it? Got my medal, THREE towels (hehe) and a shot of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My lack of a killer instinct (at this point) and my "just happy to be here" attitude. I will maintain that attitude in the future, but I will introduce some competitive juices to enhance it in the future.

Event comments:

I will be back next year, and I look forward to improving my times and try to have as much fun as I did this year!

Last updated: 2007-10-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:28 | 1640 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 44/73
Overall: 405/593
Performance: Below average
Suit: Zoot
Course: Out, hang a right, hang a right, hang a left, hang a right, hang....
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:17
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:18:10 | 26 miles | 19.96 mile/hr
Age Group: 36/73
Overall: 381/593
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: I think the race course has been covered adequately over the last few RR here, so I won't reiterate those details.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:24
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:58:17 | 06.2 miles | 09m 24s  min/mile
Age Group: 50/73
Overall: 439/593
Performance:
Course: Flat as a pancake except for a minor roller or 2. 2 loops, which was cool because the end was in sight once lap 1 was done.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-25 10:31 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Subject: Toyota U.S. Open

2007-10-25 10:53 AM
in reply to: #1024035

Master
Houston
Subject: RE: Toyota U.S. Open
Nice read, great job!!
2007-10-26 10:57 AM

Veteran
The Colony, Texas, USA, Earth
Congrats bro! It was nice, for a change, to be "waiting" for you to cross the finish line. LOL.

As always, your way with words is enjoyable to read.

Keep on keeping on...
2007-10-26 11:33 AM
in reply to: #1025536

User image

Champion
the colony texas

come on... fess up .. you just let your brother beat you ...

hey a sub 3hr oly is pretty good, don't be so down on yourself.

2007-10-26 2:18 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Being a novice RR writer, I probably came across wrong.. I was actually very pleased with my ability to just finish. As I get some more races under my belt, I am excited to see what this 40 year old body can accomplish. Thanks for being out there volunteering, Gary.. I believe you would have set the pace for me if you hadn't done a HIM the previous week. Your post made me think back to the beginning of the summer at my first race when we walked our bikes to the race here at home. That's what you call, "in the backyard." It was a pleasure meeting you there.

I hope you decide to do the Playtri Festival 70.3 with us in April!
2007-10-26 3:27 PM
in reply to: #1025892

User image

Champion
the colony texas

hey I'm just picking on ya some.. except for letting brian beat you of course :0 ..

I think a sub 3 hr oly is great, this was your first open water swim and 3rd tri correct??  that's pretty impressive I think,

it's a coin toss right now about the Play tri HIM... I'm doing lonestar in galvaston two weeks before but I'm not sure if I'm doing the half there or what they call the 1/4.

so I'm either going to do a 1/4 then a HIM or a HIM then an oly..  Last year the oly was the same day as the half so I'll be out there cheering for you two anyway.

2007-10-26 4:58 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX
Yessir, it was my 3rd tri and 1st OWS. I think I'm going to hire a hundred 12 year olds, amped up on double-sugar-dosed koolaid, to dog paddle in the lap pool at Lifetime while Brian and I are doing our training swims to try to simulate my next OWS.

Sounds like your April is going to be full... either way, we'll see you there. We are planning on staying at the Marriot both Friday and Saturday, so if you want to meet up for dinner one of those nights, just give us a shout.

We are already signed, sealed, delivered and committed to the HIM. Bring 2 defibrillators, 2 bags of normal saline, some D50, 2 non-rebreathers and a large bottle of O2, please. We will supply the bodies.

You have 171 days to secure said items, and we're counting on you!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Toyota U.S. Open Rss Feed