General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Loosing weight the Pulse Monitor way Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-11-05 2:40 PM

User image

Maplewood, NJ
Subject: Loosing weight the Pulse Monitor way

OK

I am reposing this (original posting was in the weight loss forum).

I see allot of posts about HR monitors and "training in the zone."  But all of them that I found in searching the site are about figuring the appropriate training zone through which to stay aerobic (vs. anerobic).

I have a bit differnet question.

I currently weigh 265 and am doing triathlons to give me motivation to get my butt in the gym or put on the running shoes.

I use a pulse monitor and work out by having it pegged at 140 to 150 bpm the entire hour (very comfortable at this rate).  I work out six days a week -- an hour a day and am 38 yrs old

Here's the thing . . . . . . . I was told that if I have to keep my pulse at no more than 120 bpm or else I am not buring fat.  Any higher and, while I am gaining conditioning, I am burning carbs only and my body will not look to fat for its needed energy. 

OK - I get the theory - one version burns fat, the other burns calories and, as long as I don't eat move calories than I burn, I loose weight.  No brainer. 

Here's the question:  Knowing I have only an hour a day to work out - and assuming I eat thesame amount on both scenerios - for maximum weight loss is it better to train at 120 bpm (to be in the "fat burning zone" or train at the 140 - 150 zone (aerobic zone) where I am burning more calories overall?

What's the math?  Which strategy is best t loose weight?

Any thoughts out there?  Either from experience or knowledge?

Please help - really, really confused.

2004-11-05 2:55 PM
in reply to: #79528

User image

Master
Subject: RE: Loosing weight the Pulse Monitor way
I could be way off, but I have been trying to keep my heart rate in the upper zone. More calories burned = fat loss... I saw an article in bicycling magazine and I wish I could find it for you that stated basically that while a greater percentage of calories come from fat in that 120 range working out in the 150 range burns significantly more total calories and that even at the lower percentage you should still come out ahead. You will also experience an extended afterburn. That is a period of time you experience a higher metabolic rate because of your work out.

I know there are people out there way more qualified to talk about this, but I hope this helps!

2004-11-05 3:13 PM

User image

Maplewood, NJ

It does!  And thanks.

Someone else pointed me to the following link (an article that basically says the same thing you're saying)

http://exercise.about.com/cs/cardioworkouts/l/aa022601a.htm

Thanks again.

-Peter

2004-11-05 3:20 PM

User image

Master
I have never met anyone who said the reason I am overweight is because I run to fast! My goal is to just train hard eat right and have fun. If you do that the weight loss will come.
2004-11-05 4:13 PM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT
The idea behind training at a lower heart rate is to teach your body to use fat as an energy source. When you work out at higher and higher intensity's you burn more and more of your carb stores thus depleting them faster, and if they aren't replaced you end up bonking. Your body burns your carb stores much more efficiently then your fat stores, that's why when you deplete them, and you are getting your energy from your fat stores (thus the feel of bonking)

So by training at a lower heart rate you can teach your body to burn more of your fat stores and less of your carb stores, thus enabling you to exercise longer without bonking.
2004-11-05 4:15 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CO

That's not entirely correct.  The Triathlete's Training Bible has a good breakdown of this: if you consistenly keep your HR on the high side, your body uses more carbs than fat for fuel.  By doing any aerobic training at lower HRs, your body will burn more fat than carbs. 

More calories burned - less consumed = weight loss, pure and simple.  However, WHICH calories are being burned more rapidly depends on how fast your body needs that fuel.  If you specifically want to lose excess fat quickly, I'd recommend 1 or 2 runs per week not exceeding Zone 2 in HR intensity. 

2004-11-05 8:06 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
All of this is fairly true...BUT in the end with limited time go harder and burn more calories. The literature supports the lower heart rate burning fat thing, HOWEVER it IS NOT STATISTICALLY SIGNIFICANT....Meaning that there is a slight (and I mean really slight) increase in fat burning at lower intensities, but it is negilible. If you have a limited amount of time you will see better results by burning more calories. In the end its usually a matter of calories in and calories out. Hope this helps.
2004-11-06 11:36 AM

User image

Master
I agree with Sue... All of the research I have seen supports the idea that a slighly higher percentage of calories come from fat, but more fat calories are burnt while excercising at a higher intensity. If time is limited go hard.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Loosing weight the Pulse Monitor way Rss Feed