Team Ortho
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 12m 59s
Overall Rank = 707/959
Age Group = 36
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got up around 7:00 had a little coffee and some peanut butter toast. Decided to grab my fuel belt and 2 6oz bottlea at the last minute. Figured I wouldn't need them because of on-course support but figured I better bring them just in case-good call. Dropped Nik off in St.Louis Park at his grandparents and Kelly, Aly and I made it to the race.
Event warmup:

I'm no where near the point where I feel I need to warm-up for a half marathon yet.
Run
  • 2h 12m 59s
  • 13.29 miles
  • 10m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

Maybe it's because I have been at so many superbly run triathlons, but I was pretty dissapointed in the support at this race. It was pretty expensive compared to others and they were really bad about run support. There were 4 water stops total. All they had was 1 ounce servings of water at mile 1.5 I literally thought they gave me an empty glass. Got another and the same thing. Next water stop wasn't until mile 4 and it was the same thing. I took 8 glasses so I could get a gu down. There were 2 more stops and nothing after mile 9. I'm lucky I brought 12 ounces of gatorade and a couple of gu's or I would have been in trouble. The run itself was pretty enjoyable. It was a beutifull day and the course was nice. I was undertrained for this run due to an injury about 6 weeks ago and was basically working up my long runs through last weekend. In general I am happy with how the run went. I promised myself at mile 9 as I was going down a pretty steep hill between Lake Harriet and Lake Calhoun that I would allow myself to walk up the hill on the way back. I was hurting pretty bad when I finally made it back and set a landmark I had to get to before I could walk.Right as I hit the landmark and I drop my head to my chin for a second I hear this piercing yell. "Don't you dare walk now Bryan, your almost done, GO GO GO Bryan!!! I was hoping like hell there was another Bryan who was getting chastised by a screaching banshee. No such luck. As I look up I see Oscar the Grouch/Bridget screaming encouragement. What was I suppose to do? After a 5 second walk break I started up running again. Bridget really helped me through a tough patch at that point(Although once I thought she was out of site I did walk for another 30 seconds) I am happy with the results of the race and have chosen to stick with my Garmin results instead of the races skewed start time results. If your going to chip everyone at least go by the chip time in the results.
What would you do differently?:

Extra nutrition. Don't count on course support.
Post race
Warm down:

Saw Aly first as I made it to the finish line and then Kelly. Calves were starting to cramp pretty bad so I got 2 bottles of water and some snacks. Tried to stretch for awhile and that seemed to help.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Dehydrated. No taper period.

Event comments:

I hope I didn't come off as too negative in this report. I do very few stand alone run races so maybe this is just how they usually are. I was able to knock almost 7 minutes off my time at Gary Bjorkland half so I am quite pleased with myself.

Last updated: 2007-09-28 12:00 AM
Running
02:12:59 | 13.29 miles | 10m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/959
Performance: Good
Average heart rate was at 181 with a max of 191.
Course: This was a pretty hilly course for the first 9 miles. More hills than I had expected or had trained on. It was also 13.3 miles instead of 13.1. For most people that's probably not a big deal, for me, I want it over when the Garmin says it is over. This was a pretty big topic of discussion after the run and on the site with the race map. Everyone thought there Garmin's were wrong until they realized every single one of us had the same distance. Brutal hill right at the end to make you suffer before finishing.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-10-27 8:32 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Team Ortho Monster Half Marathon

2007-10-28 6:29 PM
in reply to: #1026965

User image

Master
Tiger's Den
Subject: RE: Team Ortho Monster Half Marathon

Don't feel bad about dissing the support on your race. Believe me, I've started a letter in my head that I am sending to the man who owns the company who held the race weekend. We had plenty of water stops, but they were ill placed. I mean, we didn't have one single stop for over 2 miles and then there were about 4 in a 2 mile stretch. There was even an aid station with less than a half mile to the finish. WTF? no one is gonna stop for water there. We needed it about a mile back... ughhh...

Good job getting the job done with your limited training. It's amazing how tri training teaches you how to push when you don't think you can push any longer. I think a PR was great considering the lack of support and your limited preparation! It's great whenever you have a PR!

Once you've been spoiled by a well supported triathlon, it's hard not to expect that same level at other races.

Go Bryan Go! 

2007-10-29 7:45 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
"the wave", iowa

way to run!!!  sucks when the race organization feels subpar, but a new pr has got to feel pretty good!

enjoy the week off!

2007-10-29 8:26 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-10-29 9:01 AM

Extreme Veteran
Denver CO

hahaha... screaming banshee? I didn't think I was THAT loud.

Anyway, great job hitting a new PR. 7 minutes is a big chuck of time to take off in a matter of months, especially after some rough training weeks! Nice work. If there were as many water stops on the half marathon as there were candy stops on the 5k I don't think you would have had a problem.

ps- your daughter rocks! I was very impressed with her finishing time and the fact that she was so amped about the event. way to encourage such an awesome interest

2007-10-29 9:11 AM

Elite

Jeeesh!  4 water stops total?  Sounds like horrible course support.
Way to push through the pain when the going got tough!

Congrats on the PB!!!

2007-10-29 9:50 AM
in reply to: #1028018

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Great job on the time!  A huge improvement, considering the training and your IT band issues.  Way to go.  And it's a good reminder that it doesn't hurt to bring along the fuel belt.  Little extra trouble, but it can be SOOOO handy.
2007-10-29 4:18 PM

Pro
A farming town in MN

Congrats Bryan on the PB, especially with the ITB issues you've had this year!  Aren't we all lucky to have Bridget around to yell at motivate us?...(you know we love ya Bridget...)...

I'm assuming she'll be finishing before us at the Securian and will be there to motivate us at the finish...

Happy hunting this weekend...

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Team Ortho Monster Half Marathon Rss Feed