United States
Disney Wide World of Sports
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 30m 25s
Overall Rank = 1304/2591
Age Group = 40-44W
Age Group Rank = 72/209
Pre-race routine:

stretching, peeing, talking, laying around. Boys entertained themselves alternating between watching half naked gyrating women on the screen and practicing wrestling moves on the grass. Otherwise known as being loud and obnoxious.
Event warmup:

Not much. Watching music videos on the Mini Jumbotron. For such a "family" oriented place, the music videos consisted mostly of half naked gyrating women.
Run
  • 1h 30m 25s
  • 8.08 miles
  • 11m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

okay, being my first run at Disney, I had expectations.
So we got there at about 6pm and parked. That in itself was stressful because Tom was driving and he keeps asking me "where do I go" instead of reading the freakin' signs!! "are you sure it's okay to park here?" "Yeah, that's what the sign directed us to park." "But it says CAST parking". *steaming**** So he's all freaking out, do you have to go there? No I'm already checked in. We don't have to do anything? NO. NO. Just go to the start. So we go to the start which is actually where they take your $11 parking fee. We have 90 minutes to wait. At 915 I get in line and they leave. Then the race is delayed b/c there's a traffic jam and they want to wait for them to get in. I'm like, gee, why do we hav to wait?? THEY're late! So we started at about 945pm.

The race is a weird course. It's not very Disney like at all. We were actually on an interstate of ramp (the Disney exit) going the wrong way (we were facing I-4 driving West traffic!) which was creepy. I started waving to cars. So we went there, somehow ended up at the main gate entrance with Mickey and Minnie. Then looped back, got on some dirt access road which had actors in white acting like escaped asylum patients. That was only mildly entertaining. The road was wet and muddy. The pace was continous so I was able to not stop, which was good. The lighting was great, had huge lights on the trail so I never had to use my headlamp.
Then we ended up on more Disney roads- you know, the deserted kind with nothing on them. Again we ended up on a road parallel to I4. Jeez! I wonder what all the tourists think.
Eventually we entered the MGM park. You never know how big a park is till you run through it and thinking "where is that freakin' tower? I want to be done!" But with people watching I didn't want to stop and walk. Right before the finish is this short steep hill.

Finish was uneventful- long chute, HOT bottled water. Got chip removed, got medal (which moves- neat), got picture, got food. Saw Tom and kids. By the time I finished, the lines for the rides were unbelievably long so I skipped that, I would've puked anyways. The kids and Tom got to ride while I was racing, there were NO lines they just went right on and got to ride all that were open while I was out on the course. Food was water, bananas, NO bagels, powerade, Oreo things which were YUMMY, and brownies which made me spitit out right after one bite.
What would you do differently?:

Not forget to take off my hearing aid- I was sweating too much. I had to take it off. I had a ziploc bag to put it in and give to Tom before the race but I forgot, so...
Endurolytes. I keep forgetting to get more. I had a gel flask instead, I used that at miles 2 and 6 water stops, helped.
I need new shoes- my shin was feeling like it's not supposed to, and my left hip hurt for a while.
I got a side stitch that lasted for quite a while and resisted the urge to walk and rub it out- (it's not Wednesday, so... :) ) Tried to control breathing and keep running. Eventually it went away! yay!
Post race
Warm down:

grabbed bag, changed, left.

Event comments:

Would of liked to hang out at the park but we were all tired and had to drive home, Tom hadto work. We got home at just 1am and I slept till 11am. :)

Overall I was pleased with this race. I had told myself 1:30 will make me happy and I finished just there. I finished the six mile point at 1:06 which was ok for me. First 5K was 32, but I knew this was a long run so I didn't want to go and blow it.

I'm more than happy with my AG results. And I"m in top 50% Overall too!

Last updated: 2007-07-08 12:00 AM
Running
01:30:25 | 08.08 miles | 11m 11s  min/mile
Age Group: 72/209
Overall: 1304/2591
Performance: Good
kals 993; AVG HR 164; MAX HR 175; MILE 1 10:18; MILES 2 AND 3 22.55; MILE 4 11.05; MILE 5 11.36; MILE 6 10.48; MILES 7 AND 8 23.52.
Course: BORING
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2007-10-28 12:44 PM

User image

Wife, Mother, Friend.
South
Subject: Tower of Terror 13K

2007-10-28 2:27 PM
in reply to: #1027294

User image

Master
Gulf Shores, AL
Subject: RE: Tower of Terror 13K
Great job, your pacing was even and you finished strong. Congrats.
2007-10-28 8:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Lakeland
Good job on the race. I think I may do this one next year. Now I know what to expect.
2007-10-29 8:28 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-10-30 6:24 AM

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
awesome Job C SOunds like fun !! Glad the kids and Tom had fun too
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}