United States
Lafayette Chamber of Commerce & City of Lafayette
Sunny
Total Time = 8h 45m
Overall Rank = 151/511
Age Group = 40-
Age Group Rank = 43/103
Pre-race routine:

Got up and got oatmeal with Layton. I drove him down to the race to volunteer with the scouts. I got Landon and Dennae up. Landon did the 5K and Dennae did the two mile race.
Event warmup:

I ran for about 1 mile and then went to the potty again. Once in line I stretched out. About 10 minutes before hand I got a goo.
Run
  • 51m 15s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

I headed out at a pretty good clip. About 3/4 of a mile into the race I saw Layton--who yelled out that I needed to go faster and then he called me Grandpa! About 1 1/2 miles, I saw Landon heading back--he looked pretty tired. After the turn-around, I headed up the hill to the reservoir. I did a pretty good job pacing the hill and ended up passing about 1/2 a dozen people.

The reservoir loop was pretty fun. I ended up running the race that I planned on for this part. Once I got through the first hill, I did not get passed by anyone for about 2 miles. There were a couple of people that I keep going back and forth with. One in particular I would pass on the hills and she would pass me on the downhills.

As I came off the reservoir loop, I saw Kelly Hood passing out water. Once we hit the flats on Mount Diablo road, I picked up the pace a little bit. Once I got to Layton's station (he was blocking the road from traffic), I gave him a high five and then picked up to my stride pace. I ended up passing quite a few people on the way to the shoot.

I wasn't sure how I was going to so on this race--especially since I had a crappy run earlier on the week. I shave 5 minutes or so from last year's time.

What would you do differently?:

Not much. This is my "home course" and I managed the run pretty well. Landon and Dennae had a wonderful time too.
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around and ran into my wife talking to Carlos from the kids swim teams. Dennae was hanging out with her friends.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training--I have been spotty since Big K. I forgot to turn off the garmin when I crossed the finish line!

Event comments:

This a very well run local race. They could have had more potties--as I had to wait for about 10 minutes or so. Other than that I would give this race three thumbs up.

I look forward to racing in this event next year.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2007-10-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:51:15 | 06.21 miles | 08m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/103
Overall: 0/511
Performance: Good
Total elevation change was 1,100 feet.
Course: Started just before Safeway and then headed out toward the Oakwood Gym. Next, we did a 180 and headed up to the reservoir--which is one heck of a hill. After the hill, we do the reservoir loop which is a series of rolling hills. At then end, you head back down to Mount Diablo and have a straight shot back to Safeway.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-28 3:05 PM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA
Subject: Lafayette Reservoir Run 10K

2007-10-28 10:56 PM
in reply to: #1027384

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Lafayette Reservoir Run 10K
Grats. I've wanted to do this race for a couple of years, but keep having other commitments. It looks like a lot of fun.
2007-11-03 8:37 PM
in reply to: #1027384

User image

Master
San Francisco
Subject: RE: Lafayette Reservoir Run 10K
Looks like you did great on this race.  Congrats on shaving 5 minutes off of your time last year!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lafayette Reservoir Run 10K Rss Feed