The Red Rock Company
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 15m 56s
Overall Rank = 343/594
Age Group = 35-59
Age Group Rank = 47/79
Pre-race routine:

I was up at 4:15. Grab a cliff bar and two squeeze bottles of PowerAde and my Diet Dr. Pepper. I need to figure out how to get sponsorship from those Dr. Pepper people. One PowerAde bottle is frozen for the bike, one is to drink on the way. Off I go. Transition opens at 4:30, but since my wave doesn't start until 6:30, I think getting there at 5:00 is plenty early. As I hit the freeway I try to decided if I should draft behind the semi's since that will be the last chance I get until after the race. (Well, ok, I could draft on the swim if I could figure how to do that). 5:00 is plenty early for the race. I get in, get body marked, and work on setting up my area, pump up the tires, and generally worry about minor details that probably don't matter. I make an early trip to the port-a-potties so I don't have to stand in line later. I meet up with Jerry and eventually find Remon as well.

My transition area is really tight, bikes close on either side, so they said in the athlete meeting you could move to open spaces on race morning, since all bikes were supposed to be in. Two rows over there is a big section open that would normally hold 3 bikes. I move over to the middle of that, and am now set.

The family Horde arrives about 6:15 and I get to say "Hi!" and get a quick picture before I have to head to the water.
Event warmup:

Get in the water. Relax.
Swim
  • 28m 29s
  • 1056 yards
  • 02m 42s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim start is right on time, and the course is completely different than what was described on-line. Really, how hard is it to make up your mind about this? It's not like they haven't run this race the previous four years. The good news is that it's the swim, which means the course is going to be:

• Flat
  • Wet

• ..and we're off! Tempe Town Lake is the site of my previous debacle, but I think I have vanquished that ghost by doing the Splash & Dash last weekend. I see the family on the segment of the shore that juts out and wave. Not once but twice. Tammy later reports that she never saw me in the swim, but there was some guy that waved. She thinks it could have been me because he swam like a cat someone had just thrown in the water.

• I'm in the first wave, red caps, and try to just envision myself as a neoprene clad train, slow and steady. Realistically, I'm the "Little Engine That Could", puttering up the hill. I get whacked in the back of the head twice and fondled a few times, in other words, a normal triathlon swim. Then, suddenly I see the wave behind us come charging through. So, I start assigning them names based on trains. Yes, I really did this while in the water. The second wave was had silver caps, so clearly they had to be the Bullet Train. They came through so fast that they sure looked like it. Then, a little while later, "Look! Here comes the TGV!" Finally, as I near the exit I see whatever this
    Pink Train is.
    What would you do differently?:

I have good swimming form when I'm concentrating on my form, but when I'm not, I revert to the worst common denominator. I need to work on the "off season" so that my good form is the habit, not the exception.
    Transition 1
    • 02m 9s
    Comments:

I hit the exit stands and need two people to help me out. I think perhaps they need to figure out different way to have people get out other than up on a platform a foot above the waterline with no ground underneath to push off from. Off with the cap and goggles and up the steps. I unzip the wetsuit and take it off down to the waist. I have this done just before the "wetsuit strippers". No, not people clad in neoprene dancing on poles, but the people who help you get out of your suit. The protocol is pretty funny. You run up to them and gracefully plop down on your butt. They grab the suit and pull it off, help you up and hand you your suit. I'm suprisingly out of breath but make sure I trot into my bike. I wipe my feet off, put on my socks, stuff some Gu into my jersey pocket, get my glasses and helmet on, and I'm off. Easy jog out with the bike, mount and I'm off.

Don't sweat the Gu.
    Bike
    • 1h 34m 39s
    • 30 miles
    • 19.02 mile/hr
    Comments:

I spin my legs up and work on my "l33t bike skilz". This means I manage to hit a cone as I exit. Takes a few minutes to get my feet in my shoes and I also try to start getting some fluid and calories in. Then, I put my head down and start hammering. Well, ok, I ride as hard as I can. I'm amazed at how much power some of the people blowing by me can put down. They are going at about the same cadence I am (over 90 rpm) but they are obviously pushing it every stroke. Clearly I need to work on that. The funniest moment of the ride comes at the top of the biggest hill. I'm now in my lowest gear, just spinning, and make the turn a little too sharp. However, there is a curb cut there and I end up on the sidewalk. I ride here for a little bit hoping there is going to be one for me to get out on. It is not to be, and eventually I have to give up, stop, walk over to the street and start back down. More of those "l33t bike skilz". Still, 30 miles later, and I'm glad to be off the bike.

Need to develop better biking power. Oh, and how about developing "skilz".
    Transition 2
    • 01m 39s
    Comments:

The good news about leaving your shoes on the bike is how much easier it is to run. That is the theory at least. My toes have lost feeling on the bike and as I start to run it feels exactly like I'm still wearing cleats. Still, in I coast, put on my shoes, swap the helmet for the hat, grab the Garmin and I'm off.

Figure out how to keep my toes from going numb.
    Run
    • 1h 09m 12s
    • 6.55 miles
    • 10m 34s  min/mile
    Comments:

I just try to get into an easy rhythm. People are going to pass me, my only goal is that it's not any of the Half Ironman athletes. I see Horde early on, and stop to give them all kisses. I think they all wished I had kept running, maybe even picked up the pace a little to spare them the stench for a few microseconds.

A few people pass me, mostly women, since they started later, and then it starts to spread out. The run is fine until about mile 3 when I realize I'm "sloshing". I skip a few aid stations to let the water absorb, but now I'm starting to look wistfully at every bush that would provide even a semblance of cover. There is an "out and back" section and it's funny how people on the way out start asking how far the turnaround is. Why? If it's too far you're not going to do it? Finally, with a mile and a half to go I get a good long look at a port-a-potty. No one goes in, so I run up, take care of the sloshing, and run out. Sure enough, someone in my age group has passed me. I just decide not to worry about it. Then the 6 mile mark shows up. He's still in sight, so I pick up the pace and catch up to him and with a few hundred yards to go he picks it up too. Fortunately he doesn't have the same ChaCha's as the guy two weeks ago and I can just cruise into the finish line instead of being at an all out sprint.

Guess I'd try to drink less. Overall, I was happy with my run. I can do it faster, but not by a lot.
    Post race
    Warm down:

Grab gatorade, pizza, water, a small chihuaha or rat that didn't move fast enough, Snickers bars and try to recover. Slowly exit transition and teeter to where I last saw the Horde cheering me on at the finish. In a clear oversight we didn't plan on where we would meet post-race. Takes a while but I track them down. We sit around a bit and the kids eath the Snickers bars before I have the two oldest "help me" pack up my stuff and get my bike. Then off to the car and home. I wish I could have stayed and socialized, but the 3 kids and family (and myself) are wiped. Naps are good things.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swimming skills and a lack of bike power.

It's also strange. I'm so used to my level of tiredness to be directly tied to how far I've run, that I'm having a hard time being so tired when I only ran 6.5 miles. I know there was the stuff before that, but it's a strange mental block.

Event comments:

This is the 5th annual running of this race. I just don't understand how they can't have some stuff just figured out. Race cap colors. Distances. Swim course. Updated website that is accurate. In spite of all that, the race is well organized. Plenty of aid and water stations. Great volunteers.

Last updated: 2007-10-28 12:00 AM
    Swimming
    00:28:29 | 1056 yards | 02m 42s / 100yards
    Age Group: 52/79
    Overall: 400/594
    Performance: Average
    Suit: Profile
    Course: Triangle.
    Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
    Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
    200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
    Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
    Waves: Navigation: Good
    Rounding: Good
    T1
    Time: 02:09
    Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
    Suit off:
    Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
    Jump on bike: Yes
    Getting up to speed: Below average
    Biking
    01:34:39 | 30 miles | 19.02 mile/hr
    Age Group: 48/79
    Overall: 316/594
    I adjusted the distance. My Garmin said 29.96. Their assertion it's 25 is crazy. Winner did 21MPH? I don't think so.
    Wind: Little
    Course:
    Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
    Turns: Average Cornering: Average
    Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
    Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
    T2
    Time: 01:39
    Overall: Good
    Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
    Jumping off bike Average
    Running with bike Below average
    Racking bike Good
    Shoe and helmet removal Good
    Running
    01:09:12 | 06.55 miles | 10m 34s  min/mile
    Age Group: 56/79
    Overall: 380/594
    Course:
    Keeping cool Good Drinking Too much
    Post race
    Weight change: %
    Overall: Average
    Mental exertion [1-5] 4
    Physical exertion [1-5] 4
    Good race? Yes
    Evaluation
    Course challenge Just right
    Organized? Yes
    Events on-time? Yes
    Lots of volunteers? Yes
    Plenty of drinks? Yes
    Post race activities: Good
    Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
    2007-10-29 10:05 AM

User image

Expert
    Arizona
    Subject: Soma Quarterman Triathlon

2007-10-29 11:41 AM
    in reply to: #1028138

Veteran
    Mesa, az
    Subject: RE: Soma Quarterman Triathlon
    Nice race Jot. On the numb toes, moving the cleats back on my shoes did it for me. Whenever they are too far forward I get numb toes. It could also be the front of your shoe is too tight and the back straps are too loose, but for me the cleat thing usually fixes it.
    2007-10-29 11:44 AM
    in reply to: #1028289

User image

Expert
    Arizona
    Thanks. I'll look at my cleats.

My shoes only have one strap. I think changing how I position my foot could help too. Normally I notice it and try to adjust so that I have feeling, but I must have lost enough feeling that I didn't even notice until I got off the bike.

-Jot
    2007-10-29 3:50 PM

User image

Master
    Goodyear, AZ

Great job Jot. Sorry I didnt see you on sunday- but it was great to meet you and your family atthe brunch

Glad your family got to see you do so well at the race!

2007-10-29 4:05 PM

User image

Expert
    Chandler, AZ

Hey Jot-

I missed you on Sunday. Funny race report. Just know this. With all of your struggles, you still beat me by 30 minutes. I had many of the same issues that you did. Bad swim form, sorry excuse for a bike engine and some sloshing on the run. The intent was to be well hydrated with energy. I may have overdone it a bit.

Great job on finishing this race.

2007-10-29 5:10 PM
    in reply to: #1028813

User image

Expert
    Arizona
    Things to fix are:

- swimming form (hard, lot of time)
    - bike engine (easy, lot of work)

I wonder which one I'll be the most succesfull at.

-Jot

2007-10-29 5:21 PM

Pro
    AZ
    Glad to read the swim went much better for you!!  YOu had a great race!
    2007-10-29 5:44 PM

User image

Elite
    Mesa, AZ
    Great job Jot was super nice to meet you Sat! You did really well!
    2007-10-30 11:27 AM

User image

Master
    Peoria, AZ (Near Lake Pleasant)
    Saw you on the run as I was heading to hell past mile 4 and you had just returned past mile five.  Perhaps next year I can imporve enough to race you.  What is you least favorite coor of Croc's?
    2007-10-30 4:43 PM

User image

Veteran
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hey great job out there! It's funny about all the course changes. At one point I thought they had changed the bike course while I was riding.
    2007-10-30 5:46 PM
    in reply to: #1029820

User image

Expert
    Arizona
    perkins_jerryw - 2007-10-30 9:27 AM

Saw you on the run as I was heading to hell past mile 4 and you had just returned past mile five. Perhaps next year I can imporve enough to race you. What is you least favorite coor of Croc's?

Wow, talk about motivation. I though I hated all crocs equally, but pink may be the worst. Or tie-dye. I'd be willing to race to not have to wear those!

lobo - 2007-10-30 2:43 PM

Hey great job out there! It's funny about all the course changes. At one point I thought they had changed the bike course while I was riding.

That's funny, because as I started the second lap I tried to figure out where we were going to turn around. Finally, heard a volunteer say "quarter this way" and so then I could go out a bit stronger.

I'm not sure they didn't change it race morning.

-Jot

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
    {postbutton}
    General Discussion Race Reports! » Soma Quarterman Triathlon Rss Feed