Dallas Athletes
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 49m 10s
Overall Rank = 215/226
Age Group = athena under 40
Age Group Rank = 5/5
Pre-race routine:

Got up got dressed (almost for got the butt'r). Was feeling pretty good, excited and nervous. I had some Gatorade, a cup of coffee,a strawberry poptart, and some Kashi for breakfast. Drove over to the course, stopped at a convenience store for the poptart, met a guy named Matt who lived in the area who was also on his way over to the race. We struck up a conversation, he was a really nice guy. Saw him several times and he always had a smile for me and some words of encouragment.
Event warmup:

Not much, just some stretching and 100m in the pool.
Swim
  • 07m 25s
  • 300 meters
  • 02m 28s / 100 meters
Comments:

Wow....I thought this was going to be my best leg....Started out strong, the first 100 meters was smooth, and pretty quick. I was passed once, then I passed someone else. Huge mistake. I should have dropped back a little and taken it easy. It really took a lot out of me to complete the pass and I struggled badly for about 50-75 meters, out of breath just trying to recover. I forgot I'm not a sprinter...Still managed to pass 2 more people and get passed by a couple. The last 50 meters I relaxed and was able to go back to my normal stroke and breathing pattern. Just as I was getting comfortable and into a good pace, it was time to get out and start riding.
What would you do differently?:

Don't pass. Start further in the back and take it easy. Do sprint interval training in the pool, not just on the run training...
Transition 1
  • 04m 38s
Comments:

I took a long time in T1, taking extra time to dry more than I would have if it had been warm. I went out Saturday to watch the kiddies and check out the course, walked/ran the run portion, some of it in the grass and got my feet wet. Very uncomfortable. I wanted to make sure my feet and head were as dry as possible before getting on the bike. Struggled slightly getting my pants on, but I was glad I had pants and that they weren't soaking wet.

Not much, just do it faster. :)
Bike
  • 52m 53s
  • 12 miles
  • 13.61 mile/hr
Comments:

I had to take a little pause halfway up the second hill on the first lap, but the second was easier. Not bad for someone who just started riding a couple weeks ago...(IMHO). Dropped my bottle of gatorade 1/2 way through the first loop. Was pretty thirsty. Am seriously considering getting a camelbak, since I almost wreck every time I try to get a drink.

Learn how to ride. I think this will help a lot with future races....
Transition 2
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

Had only done a couple bricks up to this point, so my legs were somewhat uncooperative coming into transition, right after dismount. I took my time and walked my bike in, took off the helmet, tried to put hat on, had to fix my ponytail, put hat on took off, came back for gel and a drink, then hit the road,(at a very slow pace...)

More brick training.
Run
  • 42m 9s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 13m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

Starting off was tough. Settled into a comfortable pace after about the first 3/4 mile. Was wishing for water well before I got some. Took a couple 30 sec walk breaks, but ran almost the whole thing. This is pretty good for me, so I was feeling great about myself. People were passing me, but a lot of positive feedback from them, so it really didn't bother me that I was getting passed. I passed a couple people, saw a few walkers, even saw some still biking, so that gave me some positive encouragement. Nevermind the fact they got in the pool maybe an hour or so after me....As soon as I turned the corner where I could see the finish, I got the biggest smile on my face and was able to pick up my pace a bit. My mom, sister and niece were there waiting for me and cheering. I was a fanatastic feeling to cross the finish line.

nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

I breathed. Walked around a bit, drank some vitamin water, which I'd never had before and I liked it.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The fact that I only started training 2 months ago.

Event comments:

I don't feel like I can rate the race, since it was my first. I don't have anything to compare it to. For me personally, it was a fantastic and rewarding experience. I wish I'd started this a long time ago. The race director was fantastic. Funny entertaining, made me feel like a million dollars coming up the last stretch. The pool was a little too warm for me, the weather didn't bother me bit. The Keller PD and volunteers were great. Almost everyone I came in contact with was extremely pleasant and supportive. I plan to do this course again in March, hopefully knock at least 19 minutes off my time. I met Ross (morgenrr) and his wife, but no other BTers. I talked to a few people, but none of them were BTers. Although several said they were definitely going to check it out, so maybe we'll have some new BT teammates.

Last updated: 2007-10-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:07:25 | 300 meters | 02m 28s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/5
Overall: 0/226
Performance: Bad
Suit: speedo suit
Course:
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:38
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:52:53 | 12 miles | 13.61 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: It was nice, not downhill all the way, like I was hoping for, but overall, easy enough for me. Just a couple hills, and they weren't incredibly steep.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 02:08
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:42:09 | 03.11 miles | 13m 33s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Very nice park. I've run here before, and I just love the park. Nice streams, nice concrete running trail, trees, shade....
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2007-10-29 1:25 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, Florida
Subject: Monster Triathlon

2007-10-29 1:38 PM
in reply to: #1028473

User image

Master
McKinney, TX
Subject: RE: Monster Triathlon

Great race! Congrats, triathlete.

Saw you come in and finish. You had a huge smile on your face. Somehow I couldn't find you afterwards to congratulate you in person.

2007-10-29 1:52 PM
in reply to: #1028509

User image

Veteran
Tampa, Florida
Thanks! I still have a huge smile on my face. I had a great time and I CAN'T WAIT to do it again! Wish I could have met you, I did hear them call a finish for a guy from McKinney, thought it might have been you, but wasn't sure....anyway, I hope you enjoyed yourself as much as I did. Thank you so much for encouraging me. This is by far the best thing I've done for myself in years. I can't remember the last time I felt like this! Couldn't have done it without my "BT family" support system.
Jess
2007-10-29 1:55 PM

Yea!!! How awesome to finish your first race and feel good. You did great!!!!
2007-10-29 2:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Owings, MD

Congratulations, fellow Poison Apple!  You're a triathlete!!!  And finishing with a smile is always a good thing.  You did great!

Laurie

2007-10-29 2:49 PM

User image

Master
somewhere over the rainbow
jessica!!! you TOTALLY rocked it!!! AND you beat me by like, oh, i don't know. 25 MINUTES!!!! you're so awesome!!!

2007-10-29 2:49 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Congrats on finishing your first race! You really just jumped in there after just getting started on your training and did great. Glad to hear you had such a great experience in your first race, having fun is the most important part.
2007-10-29 3:45 PM

User image

Veteran
The Colony, TX
AWESOME! Congratulations on a great race.
2007-10-29 6:12 PM

User image

Veteran
West Allis
you are amazing, congrats!!!!!
2007-10-29 9:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Houston, Texas
Jess, Great Job out there yesterday!  It was great meeting you and I look forward to seeing you again next year.
2007-10-29 9:58 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Worth, Texas
Great job. I was wondering about you and the tamales at the finish.  I think I watched you finish with that awesome smile.  You're one of us, now.  Congrats.

2007-11-02 12:48 PM

User image

Expert
Longview, TX

Way to go!  You can now officially be called a triathlete!  That's no small feat!

Congrats on your first!

2007-11-03 11:26 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Hey Jess, congrats on finishing your first race. You are now a TRIATHLETE!! Be careful not to let the addiction take over your life.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Monster Triathlon Rss Feed