United States
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 40m
Overall Rank = 92/98
Age Group = Cat 4 Men
Age Group Rank = 92/98
Pre-race routine:

Arrive ~ 1hr ahead of race time. My friend didn't pre-register so we immediately head to the registration tent so he can get in. Get back to the car, dress and get a warm up lap. Return to the car to
shed a layer (cold without but I'll certainly warm up) of arm and leg warmers and the jacket. When that sun gets higher and we get racing, I'll be plenty warm! Icy-Hot the legs for warmth and water protection.
Event warmup:

Ride down to the start (parking is on the other side of the property) and negotiate a spot. It's COLD!!! waiting, but soon enough, the whistle goes and we're off
Bike
  • 47m 16s
  • 16 kms
  • 20.31 km/hr
Comments:

The field went out kind of slow in my opinion. It bunched up in the first few technical sections and that kind of set your positioning +- a few places. I got caught in the back and couldn't move up easily. The front got away in the first 1/4 lap and I was stuck. Didn't matter as by lap 2, I was suffering really bad. Lungs, legs, I was cooked, but still had race left in me. I jockeyed a few positions, paced and overtook as capable. A fun race; I love this course even though it doesn't play my strengths. A bit MTB, but really fun. Lots of acceleration / stop sections like cross is supposed to have.
What would you do differently?:

Get up front early! I know that being boxed out hurt my placing even though I suffreed, I might have finished better.
Post race
Warm down:

I suffered like a Turkish prisoner! My lungs were screaming at the end. After coughing up a few choice loogies and eating 3-4 Halls, I could actually breathe again.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Going flat out at HR max for 47 min will do that!

Event comments:

I'll be back. Not too far from home, a BIG event for a non-UCI race and really fun.

Last updated: 2007-10-29 12:00 AM
Biking
00:47:16 | 16 kms | 20.31 km/hr
Age Group: 92/98
Overall: 98/98
Performance: Below average
When I did sneak a peak, it was 179, 186 and 179. Flat out, zone 5 death race
Wind: None
Course: I'd guess 4km course with 4 laps. Designed to be 9-11min/lap. Starts out pavement, then gravel road into a large field where the first barriers are on a small hill. Singletrack back to the lake where an asphalt paved path parallels the lake. A cool run/ride up depending, then a set of barriers. Another gravel road into a smaller field, a HUGE run up which exits onto a rubberized running track where you get a 3/4 circuit of the track. Switchbacks into a manicured lawn section where the third set of barriers awaits just before the start / finish completes 1 lap.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-29 6:13 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Subject: Canton Cup Cyclocross

2007-10-29 6:34 PM
in reply to: #1028957

User image

Master
Connecticut
Subject: RE: Canton Cup Cyclocross

Nice job.  The race sounds like a blast of a 'death race'

Sounds like you had some lung issues though.  It's tough to be racing at full tilt when your coughing.  I've been there.  Did you have a respiratory infection or are your asthmastic? 

2007-10-29 6:44 PM
in reply to: #1028977

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
Nope, just the consequences of 45+min at max HR. I was using Albuterol before races, but am out and got the script under dubious circumstances w/o really being diagnosed as asthmatic.

I'm out now and likely should try and convince my GP about exercise enduced asthma. You know that wheeze when you're sure you have 10% more to give but it just won't come? More like that. Worse as it gets colder.

No big deal now; only 1 more race this year before surgery on 11/5.

Don't know why I love this course so much. It really doesn't play my strengths; way too technical. It does, however, have lots of power sprint stuff.

Video already up at: http://cyclocrossnewsnet.blogspot.com/2007/10/canton-cup-video.html

Edited by pitt83 2007-10-29 6:47 PM
2007-10-30 7:16 PM

User image

Master
Connecticut

Cool video!  It's amazing how efficient everybody is with getting on and off their bike over th obstacles.  They don't seem to miss a beat.

2007-10-30 9:11 PM

User image

Champion
MA

Nice race...

I was thinking of coming out and watching this race to see if I may want to try some cyclecross next year..but sleeping in after all those late Sox games won out.

Sounds like you gave it your all and had fun which is most important! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Canton Cup Cyclocross Rss Feed