United States
Marine Corps Marathon
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 28m 54s
Overall Rank = 17060/20667
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1080/1379
Pre-race routine:

I knew when I spent most of the day Saturday resting trying unsuccessfully to knock an oncoming cold that this was going to be an interesting (think Chinese proverb) event.

I debated on attempting to use modern medicine to hold symptoms at bay and decided that I would take dextromethorphan only to keep my nagging cough at bay. I skipped taking anything that would actually help with congestion due the the dehydrating effects. So, I washed down the dextromethorphan and a turkey sandwich with miso soup prior taking a shower and heading out to the Metro.
Event warmup:

Some stretching and walking about.
Run
  • 5h 28m 54s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 33s  min/mile
Comments:

I had a pretty decent 18 mile run followed by a brisk 8 mile walk.

I planned on walking the aid stations, which was good as there wasn't much choice given the number of people on the course. There were plenty of people manning the stations (and I do wonder where they find that many 2Lt's). I wore my fuel belt and had the bottles refilled as needed on the course. I also had a bottle of Hammer gel that I used for nutrition - plus a brownie that my friends were nice enough to hand me at mile six or so (I'm sure it was from the church bake sale. I haven't asked if I'm expected to pay for it)

Things went really well until about mile 14 or so. At that point I stopped for a bathroom break (this told me I was doing quite well on the hydration side of things and gave me a chance to stretch). Then I ran into a Gunny who I attended AIT with - I stopped long enough to pull out my cell phone and program in his number (it's been 12 years since AIT, what are the odds)

I managed to pick up with running better than I thought I might after those breaks and was going quite well until just past mile 18. At that point, I started with a productive cough that was annoying. As I continued on, so the the cough making running and breathing at the same time difficult. At that point, I started walking and walked though mile 19 hopping my cough would subside. It didn't and my throat started to get sore making drinking uncomfortable. I tried to run for a bit after that because my muscles weren't feeling all that bad - I'm not sure if I could have kept up my pace or not, so I'll persist in the belief that I would have had breathing been easier.

I intended to run at least the last mile, but by that time my muscles were tired and I hadn't kept up with hydration since it hurt to drink, so I walked across the finish line.

What would you do differently?:

Given all the variables, I think I managed things quite well.
Post race
Warm down:

I forced down a couple of bottle of water and juice and walked about the post race venue debating on the best way to get home. The line for the shuttle was shorter than for the Metro, so I took it. It put me eleven blocks from my apartment, so I just walked home instead of waiting on the bus. I stretched out, took a shower, rested for an hour and then rode my bike to church (at this point, I was wishing I was either less committed or had a car).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

URI

Last updated: 2007-03-29 12:00 AM
Running
05:28:54 | 26.2 miles | 12m 33s  min/mile
Age Group: 1080/1379
Overall: 17060/20667
Performance: Average
Splits: 5M: 56:15 (11.23) 10M: 1:50:15 (10.8) Half: 2:24:05 (11.02) 15M 2:52:59 (16) 18M: 3:27:09 (11.33) 22M: 4:22:22 (13:78) Finish (15.83)
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-29 8:31 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Marine Corps Marathon

2007-10-30 6:43 AM
in reply to: #1029084

User image

Champion
Whizzzzzlandia
Silver member
Subject: RE: Marine Corps Marathon

Laura!

You are hard core! Laughing After my marathon (and I got shut down around mile 17 if you recall) I could barely walk, let alone think about riding my bike to CHURCH... with all the stand up sit down, kneel, stand up, kneel, sit down stuff! (I'm Catholic)....

You did great! Hoooooray and Congratulations on a job very well done. Hope your URI feels better soon. I got hit with a URI within a day of my marathon. I think it's all the STRESS on our little bodies!

Take some well deserved time off... you've had a long and successful season. Kiss

Whiz 

2007-10-30 10:32 AM
in reply to: #1029084

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Marine Corps Marathon
Great Job!! Especially since you were on the front end of an illness that was heading toward you! Take care of yourself, get better. I am going to see a doctor tomorrow, can't get better, I have to do what you are doing. Have some chicken soup or if you are a vegetarian, some good old vegetable soup!

Congratulations!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Marine Corps Marathon Rss Feed