Marine Corps
55F / 13C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 28m 38s
Overall Rank = 1168/20667
Age Group = 30-34 F
Age Group Rank = 36/1379
Pre-race routine:

Got to bed a little later than I wanted on Saturday night but was asleep by 10:30. I woke up around 1 a.m. looked at the clock and went back to sleep. I got woken up a bit later by some sirens right outside my hotel room. I looked at the clock and it said 1:30. I knew I had been sleeping for more than 30 minutes so I got out of bed and turned on the tv and checked my blackberry for the time - it was 2:30... apparently the hotel clock reset itself thinking the time change was still on schedule. It was a good thing I checked into it because I hadn't put in a wake-up call and was relying on the alarm clock. I couldn't figure out how to re-set the time so I just changed the time the alarm was set to go off and then called in a wake-up call. I had trouble getting back to sleep and before I knew it, it was time to get up. I got up, dressed and made my oatmeal. I gathered the last of my belongings and made my way to the Metro station. I had no problem getting to the race site, just hadn't realized how much walking it was going to be.
Event warmup:

The walk from the Metro to Runners Village, milling around Runners Village and finding Felix and the BT crew I met at dinner the night before, and the walk from Runners Village to the start line. I took a potty break, visited with Felix one last time as he lined up with the 5:30 pace group, and weaved way through crowd to meet up with Q and Betsy near the 3:40 pace sign. We pushed our way forward to the 3:20 pace sign and parked our butts on on the street until race time.
Run
  • 3h 28m 38s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 07m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Betsy, Q and I started the race together with the understanding we were trying to hit around an 8:20 pace per mile. It took us almost two minutes to get to the start line, and the first mile was slow as we had to make our way through the crowd. By the second mile we were running below the 8:20 pace, but needed to make up some time because of the slow first mile. We had a quick third mile and even faster 4th mile and then started talking about trying to slow the pace so we wouldn't burn out before the finish. Betsy dropped back but Jeff and I stayed together. We slowed the pace a bit but didn't ever really slow the pace to the 8:20s we had discussed. Every couple of miles we'd discuss slowing the pace again but we never really seemed to slow the pace much and Jeff thought it'd be better if we had a bit of a cushion built up for the later miles anyway so we kept checking in with each other and just kept running. The run felt very easy through the first half and then I started worrying a bit about the section on Hains Point so I was glad we had built up a cushion but was shocked when the cushion kept growing and we were even ahead of pace according to the clock time, not just our chip time. At some point, I think it was right before the start out towards Hains Point, I told Jeff that I was starting to feel the run a bit and my legs were getting a bit tight. He agreed so we started relishing the lead we built up and adding talk about staying the course and moving forward. I think Hains Point was a hard section for a lot of people because it got very quiet among the runners and we started passing a lot of people. Jeff and I started trying to cheer but no one was really taking us up on it. It definitely helped keep me from overthinking that section of the race. When we reached the farthest point on Hains Point I was thrilled. I got another huge boost when I saw "The Awakening" because I had heard that had already been moved. I was definitely feeling my effort by this point and Jeff was starting to talk a lot about the bridge so I was getting a little nervous because between 18-21 miles is where I have mentally fallen apart at other marathons. We sailed towards the bridge and the hill up the bridge was so easy that I couldn't believe it had been looming so large in my mind. As we started down the other side of the bridge there was some wind, but it was mostly at our back so I thought we got lucky because up to that point in the race there had only been a couple of short spots where the wind was whipping. I think the boost of knowing I got over the bridge and was on my way to the finish got to me because as we hit the crowds going into Crystal City I ran a couple of 7:30 miles and lost Jeff. I was definitely feeling the race and was worried about slowing my pace so I just kept going forward hoping Jeff would somehow be at my side again. After the turn-around in Crystal City the wind really started blowing and my legs were screaming with the effort. I remember trying to run faster into the wind but I was definitely slowing down. When I realized I wasn't likely to find Jeff again and I was left with only my own thoughts and my tired legs I definitely felt my pace slow. I kept telling myself to keep moving forward and I would hit my goal. Those final couple miles of the race were tough... I had lost my running partner, my muscles were tiring of the effort, my body was craving water, the wind and course got tough, my GPS was indicating I would have already run a marathon but would still have more to run to see the finish line, and I knew I still had to run the hill up to the finish line. I was just telling myself to put on foot in front of the other and keep moving forward. I kept running, trying to keep any negative thoughts away and finally got to the last turn-around point. I made the turn and started back towards the finishline and the final hill up to the monument. Once I got past that final turn-around point about 0.5 mile from the finish, I finally knew Boston was mine. I started pumping my fist and babbling to everyone and noone that I was Boston bound. I saw one girl who had been in front of me much of the day, who I passed around mile 25 come flying past me again on the final hill and I briefly, very briefly debated trying to outsprint her, but decided to let her have her day because I was already having my day (besides I wasn't sure if my legs would let me challenge her). I stayed on my path and crossed the finish line with a smile (probably a pained one, but a smile) on my face and arms in the air because after 10 years of trying, 10 years of life, 10 years of marathons, 10 years of wondering I finally proved to myself I was enough of a runner to earn my spot at Boston.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Post race
Warm down:

I crossed the finish line and made my way through the crowds over to have my finisher's photo taken. I don't think I stopped smiling and thanking every Marine I saw. After the photo, I grabbed a couple of waters, some juice, pretzels and powerade and just kept moving towards the Finish Festival. I walked right through the Finish Festival, collected my bag from the UPS truck and immediately called home and left a message for Ron that probably wasn't even audible - between my emotions and the noise from the crowds, the only thing I managed to say was "I made Boston!". I called my parents and was finally able to tell my father I was heading to Boston! I kept walking straight to the Metro and hopped on the train to go check out of the hotel. I had to scramble through a shower and packing so I would be out of the hotel on time. I headed back to the Finish Area with my luggage in tow, hoping I'd get back there in time to see Felix finish. The crowds were too big for me to gain access to the finish line, so I found a spot in the Finish Festival where my luggage wasn't in the way and waited to hear from Felix. I wasn't the first person who got to congratulate Felix, but at least I made it back to the finish area to offer a hug and congrats on his accomplishment!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

On this day, at this race there were no limitors.

Event comments:

The Marines know how to organize an event. This race has grown in the ten years since I last did it, but it was still as organized and top notch an event as it was 10 years ago. The course has changed in spots, some for the better, some for the worse, but overall it is an amazing course. The Marines and volunteers were awesome. The crowds were awesome. On this day, the weather was awesome. Of the 10 marathons I've run, my two favorite races have been the 1997 Marine Corps Marathon, and the 2007 Marine Corps Marathon.

Last updated: 2007-09-24 12:00 AM
Running
03:28:38 | 26.2 miles | 07m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 36/1379
Overall: 1168/20667
Performance: Good
Mile Splits from the Garmin: 1-8:41 2-8:13 3-7:53 4-7:15 5-7:48 6-7:50 7-7:35 8-7:43 9-7:49 10-7:45 11-7:54 12-7:37 13-7:38 14-7:50 15-8:04 16-7:52 17-7:31 18-7:40 19-7:49 20-7:50 21-7:29 22-7:32 23-7:39 24-8:01 25-7:53 26-8:06 0.8-5:39
Course: Awesome course that winds through DC and Virginia. A couple of hills early on, followed by mostly flats and small rollers, with an increase in hills in the last mile, including a steep one up to the finishline.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2007-10-29 9:31 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Subject: Marine Corps Marathon

2007-10-29 10:23 PM
in reply to: #1029146

User image

Master
Falls Church, Virginia
Subject: RE: Marine Corps Marathon
Congratulations on a great race. Good luck at Boston!!
2007-10-29 11:20 PM

Champion

Awesome job!  It seemed pretty windy in some spots on the 10-K course, so I was worrying about you and Jeff and hoping it wasn't affecting your pace.  Obviously it didn't bother you much at all.  When I ran the marathon last year, I was one of the few people who really liked that whole section down to Hains Point and return!  Congrats on qualifying for Boston!  And it was fun hanging out with you on Saturday night! 

2007-10-30 6:57 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Roswell, GA
What a great race!  You were still glowing 2 hours after the finish.
2007-10-30 9:41 AM

User image

Master
Alpharetta, GA

You rocked it, Leslie!  I picked up your effort at about mile 15 and had a blast keeping tabs on the little remote runner tracker icon that represented your effort - it was fun watching the little dot steadily moving around the course. 

Great job on the PR, B, and 10 years of work and perseverance...and thanks for keeping the dot moving fast enough that I didn't get bored...

2007-10-30 10:55 AM

User image

Master
Colorado
Awesome race! I'm beaming FOR you! Congrats!!!

2007-10-30 11:07 AM
in reply to: #1029739

User image

Elite
New City, New York
Congrats Leslie. That's some race you put together. It was really nice meeting you too!
2007-10-30 11:32 AM

User image

Master
Atlanta, Ga

Amazing.. I know what this means to you. like me, you are first a runner. That's not insignificant once you get into the triathlon world. Running is overlooked and put second in order of importance by far too many people. You know better, and all of your results speak to that. What an amazing year for you. placing in the Tri the Parks series, and now this: your Magnum Opus. The event that was 10 years in the making.. but was made all the sweeter because of the journey. Boston Qualified!..  Now you know that you will be running that famed course. You earned it, and earned it well.

Congratulations Les.

Edited by atl_runner 2007-10-30 11:33 AM
2007-10-30 1:52 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock

Congrats on such a major accomplishment! I am amazed by your will and determination to get to this point, while not losing touch with career, family, oh -and a husband training for an ironman. It really puts into perspective that most of the rest of us really don't have an excuse not to accomplish our own goals. Thanks for the inspiration, and good luck in Boston!

2007-10-30 2:11 PM

User image

Champion
Rochester Hills, Michigan
Gold member
Congratulations on your fantastic race, and your BQ!!!  You can feel the smiling from thousands of miles away. Outstanding stuff, and I'm completely excited for you.
2007-10-30 3:16 PM

User image

Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Congrats on your Destiny You had a great race..pretty much perfect. BQing is grand accomplishment and I hope you're enjoying every moment. I would probably make it a month long celebration (if not longer)..kinda like birthdays. hehe. Great job Leslie.

2007-10-30 3:37 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2007-10-30 5:18 PM

Master
Atlanta, GA

YEAH!  I'm so happy for you!!  I'm almost teary eyed after reading you RR.  You've seriously earned your BQ and motivated TONS of people along the way!  It's awesome that you still encourage others while pursuing your own goals.

Congrats, I can't wait to follow your Boston race.  But for now, just enjoy your amazing accomplishment! 

2007-10-30 7:31 PM

Master

Best race report I have ever read. 

Congrats on such a huge life-long accomplishment. 

You are woman, hear you roar!

2007-10-31 6:01 AM

Pro
Sous Mon Diadème

BQ was your destiny and now you're Boston bound.  What an amazing race you had.  Congratulations, Leslie!

2007-11-01 9:57 AM

Veteran
Wholly Cow! This is awesome! You've trained hard and are an accomplished runner so it was just a matter of time and planning to make your goal. We all knew you could do it. I am really pysched for you. Now, remember, eat the chowder after you run Boston.....

H.

2007-11-01 3:12 PM

Master
Chelmsford, Massachusetts

Wow, that RR almost made me cry!  I am so proud of you!!!  I will be there to cheer you on in Boston!  Even if I don't make it there myself this year.  I am so happy I got to share that day with ya.  I tried as hard as I could to catch back up with ya after Mile 23 but my legs weren't having it.  You did such an awesome job, and that motivation is exactly what makes this sport full of such awesome people like you!  We MUST run another marathon together, that was a total blast!!!

CONGRATS!!!  WHOOP WHOOOOOOP!!!! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Marine Corps Marathon Rss Feed