SDTC
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 35m 11s
Overall Rank = 78/100
Age Group = M40-44
Age Group Rank = 12/15
Pre-race routine:

After my less than optimal experience at the Long Beach Marathon, I decided that I needed to schedule a "Followup Race" pronto. I hatched an idea to find another marathon to run and also to find a shorter distance race to run in between to attempt to get a better measure of my current race fitness and maybe also sharpen things up a bit.

I found this local race and figured that I would give it a go. I have never raced and 8k before, and was a bit reticent because this is a College Cross Country Invitational and most of the runners were likely going to be way out of my class. I had a similar experience with a 5k Swim event earlier in the year. I finished strong with a great time and was very near DFL. (Those darn Club Swimmers are scary fast)

I Emailed the RD and he assured me there would be plenty of masters folks from the San Diego Track Club of all abilities.
Event warmup:

I arrived early and registered for the race. For $15, I got a bib and a bottle of water. The start area was at the University Track and I was able to run a good 5 mile warmup. Did some strides and got good and stretched out. I watched the wk Women's race go off just to see what the course was going to be like.

It was a loop up and down through a grassy field with a dirt parking lot at one end, up and over a hill (With Switchbaks) and then back around and onto the track. For the Women's 5k, the cut the course a bit short in one place and they did 2 laps. For the men's 8k, we did the full course 3 laps. For the 5k, it was all of the Women in the Invitational as well as the open masters men and women.

I knew I was in trouble when I watched the finish of the 5k. The Winner came through as well as just about everyone else way below 20 minutes. Only a few of the open masters runners came through after that and had I done this race, there would have only been 2 runners behind me in the whole field. (based on my 5k PR)

But, I noticed that the course was pretty fast with plenty of places to make up time lost to hills and sharp turns.

Run
  • 00m
  • 4.97 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

We all line up and everyone seems pretty relaxed. I decide to line up near the back so as not to get trampled to death and the gun goes off and we are away. Yuo, there they go. We run diagnally across the grassy infield of the running track and by the time we leave the track, the leaders and most of the pack are way out in front and there are no many folks behind me.

As we wind down onto the dirt roads, I find myself in a pack of about 3 or 4 guys and 1 of the 3 masters women doing the race. I had decided to run based on perceived effort and ignore any mile markers or time splits. As we settle into the business of racing, the group starts to fragment a bit and I am in the front part of the group with 2 other guys pacing along in front of me. I feel comfortable with the pace and tuck in behind the lead runner.

Soon the other guy drops way back and it is just the two of us. We start chatting a bit and he offers some words of encouragement and suggests that many of the folks in front of us will fade by mile 3 and we can pick some of them off.

At about mile 2, he hollers out our pace (about 7:08) which seems good to me because the hill we just ran over definitely slowed us down more than a bit. As we head out onto the track, I realize that the main pack is already well into the 2nd lap and there are maybe a handfull of folks behind us. (But I feel like I am running great)

I start feeling a bit guilty because we are at about the half way point and I have been shadowing this guy the whole way. I was not sure about how this works but his pace felt like it was right where I needed it to be. So just before the 3 mile mark, I decide to take my turn with the pacing and get out in front. He are charging along and as I slow up for the hill for the 2nd time, we come to the 2nd place female Master. She runs with us for a while, but drops back and is gone.

Heading into the last lap, I am feeling like I have the hang of this whole XC course management. HillRunner had given me some good suggestions and I felt like I was able to push some into the hills and recover nicely on the downslopes but maintain a consistent pace. Now, with a mile to go, I feel like it is time to start kicking.

I start pushing the pace and the other guy is starting to s struggle to keep up. We get to the hill for the last time and I am really pushing. I feel like I am going slow and was certain he would go charging past me at this point, but then I am over it and spinning down the other side and getting some good recovery.

Then we are going up the ramp back toward the track and I try to find another gear. A quick glance and my pacing partner is about 200 meters back now. Onto the track and it is full sprint to the finish, and hey, I pass a few folks on the way. My pacing partner, although farther back, also manages to get around the other runners before his finish.

My pace partner (Paul) came in 20 seconds behind me and was actually 2nd in his AG. (55-59)

I made a point to find him after the race and thank him for a great race run. I certainly gave it my all and so did he.

My mcMillan time for this race based on other race times was supposed to be about 15 seconds per mile faster, but this was not a road race with comparable difficulty to my other races. I feel like a 6:50 is totally doable in an 8k road race and possibly even a bit faster. So, this race confirms my expected fitness level and provided me with a great boost and some excellent race tuning.

I have to say, running my first 8k was a blast. (Even if I was near DFL) I really found that I like running Cross Country Courses and the distance seemed reasonable. With some race specific training, I know I can improve on my time. (Although that is not necessarily the prime objective here) I had a blast and will definitely be doing races like this again. The San Diego Track Club hosted this race along with Cal State and they have a whole series of these races scheduled for next season. I will definitely be back.

Oh, and the idea of running followup races after a marathon still seems to be working for me :)

What would you do differently?:

More race specific Training
Post race
Warm down:

Short walk to the car with a couple of cups of ice water and home for a nice long nap.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Short distance high intensity racing is not my cup of tea. I would imagine that I could put more specific training into improving times here, but that would detract from my real race goals.

I am happy with DFL in this crowd.

Event comments:

For a small race and puny race entry fee, this race was well organized and put together.

The San Diego Track Club and CSUSM hosted this race as part of the Dirt Dog Series that has been running all Summer. The final race was last weekend but I will definitely be back next year.

I plan on using these races as low impact tuneups for my longer distance efforts.

Last updated: 2007-10-17 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 04.97 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 12/15
Overall: 15/100
Performance: Good
Course: Cross Country with grass, dirt trails and a short bit on the running track. 3 loops make up 8k.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2007-10-30 3:04 PM

User image

Champion
Carlsbad, California
Subject: Cougar 8k Challenge
This race report is late in coming because Cal State San Marcos was evacuated on Monday due to the fires and their servers were down most all of last week. Now that the results are posted, I can finally post the report :)

Edited by WaterDog66 2007-10-30 3:05 PM

2007-10-30 3:41 PM
in reply to: #1030201

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cougar 8k Challenge Rss Feed