General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Upgrade for a TRI Bike - Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2007-11-02 1:09 PM
in reply to: #1031049

User image

Champion
Subject: RE: Best Upgrade for a TRI Bike -

Nate, you seriously need to get the chip off your shoulder.  Multiple people answered in a civil manner and happened to disagree with your contentions.  That's not "attacking you" or being unwelcoming to opposing viewpoints.

2007-11-02 1:13 PM
in reply to: #1035160

User image

Master
St. Louis
NateC - 2007-11-02 12:18 PM

You aerospace degree isn't helping you when it comes to making a decent comparison.

Consider the R&D budgets, intended purposes, and production costs of Formula 1 cars or fighter jets, vs. a 747 or Honda Civic.

A Honda Civic is limited in terms of aerodynamics, not due to the fact that it's bound to be a slower car but because of the fact that it's meant to haul people and belongings from one place to another and it needs to be made affordable to the general public. Taking the design of the Civic into the wind tunnel for the extensive testing and tweaking that an F1 car would go through is an argument of diminishing marginal returns for the manufacturer. The car may get better gas mileage but it then becomes unaffordable to more and more members of the general public.

• .. BLAH BLAH BLAH

• Dude, if you think that F-1 car has a bigger R/D budget than the Civic, you are sorely mistaken. The main reason the F-1 car is so expensive is production quantity. Many many many sportscars and econo cars spend TONS of time in the windtunnel... i.e. Corvette and 350Z, Prius are a few that come to mind with extremely low Cd. They are relatively cheap because they sell thousands and thousands of them. Had they just produced 5, they would be just as expensive as those F-1 cars.

Fact of the matter is, aero wheels and and a helmet will not make a 15mph rider average 17-19mph as you have stated.

I dont disagree that aero wheels and helmets can offer a benefit, in fact I ride on them everyday. I just think you have severely overstated the benefit of the wheels and helmet... especially for slower riders.
    2007-11-02 1:17 PM
    in reply to: #1033562

User image

Elite
    Preferably on my bike somewhere
    amiine - 2007-11-01 2:02 PM

NateC - 2007-10-31 11:59 PM I'm sorry but I have to disagree with the general direction of the thread. I agree with fitting being number 1. An optimized position will gain the most speed for the least amount of money that you can possibly find. An aero helmet is a good number 2 choice. You'll gain speed no matter what from having one, how much speed depends on the fit and discipline to keep your head in position. 1-2 mph is not unreasonable. Wheels should be next. Wheels will add speed as well. Guaranteed. How much will depend on wheel selection. 1-2mph here is not unreasonable either. A power meter is not an upgrade to your bicycle. It's a data collection device. It alone will not make you go faster. You won't see any IMMEDIATE returns on your investment. There is no question that power will allow you to train smarter once you have done the requisite research to understand the data and how to use it to your advantage, but a powermeter alone will not make you faster. Coaching is one of the least cost effective ways to get faster in MY opinion. There is more than enough information out there on what it takes to get faster. Generally speaking, the one thing that coaching does is forces people to spend more time in the saddle than they otherwise would. With a little attention and homework on what intensity you should be riding at during your training schedule and a little effort to find group rides in your area you could save the money on coaching and improve the same amount.

I was going to post a lengthy reply about some of your opinions, but after reading your paragraphs about the aero-helmet and aero-wheels I figured it was going to be pointless. According to you, next week I should expect to avg 27-28 mph for 56 Mi with my cool LG rocket helmet and my disc/tri spoke wheel combo, YAY!

Wow Jorge, that's a pretty unprofessional response on BEGINNER Triathlete.

2007-11-02 1:24 PM
    in reply to: #1035266

Regular
    Las Vegas, NV
    ranger5oh - 2007-11-02 11:13 AM

Fact of the matter is, aero wheels and and a helmet will not make a 15mph rider average 17-19mph as you have stated.

I dont disagree that aero wheels and helmets can offer a benefit, in fact I ride on them everyday. I just think you have severely overstated the benefit of the wheels and helmet... especially for slower riders.

I never patently stated that it's fact that aero equip will make a 15mph rider average 17-19. I did say that it's "possible" based on my own experiences and readings. You can argue that I'm wrong, but that won't change what I found in my experiences.

None of it takes away my opinion that after a fitting, the OP would be best served by purchasing aero equipment.

As far as the Honda/F1 example. If I'm mistaken about R&D so be it. It's still an extremely poor example because the shape has nothing to do with the face that a Honda is slower and everything to do with it being a passenger car vs. a specifically designed track machine.

In my eyes, your example is like comparing a tandem bicycle to a 1 off Walser aero bike.
    2007-11-02 1:24 PM
    in reply to: #1035206

User image

Elite
    Preferably on my bike somewhere
    NateC - 2007-11-02 12:47 PM

You make an excellent point. It's all true and if I would have known that my suggestions would be so attacked, I would have reconsidered making that statement as it's very anecdotal.

The point that I was trying to make (I must be careful now that I'm under a microscope), is that as far as BIKE UPGRADES go, my opinion and experience is that FITTING, THEN AERO COMPONENTS are the best bang for the buck.

A powermeter is only a data collection device that requires effort to learn to use and upkeep properly and a coach is not cycling specific. A good coach will help everything tremendously, but it comes at quite a significant expense.

I think the point about the coaching is that it is the gift that truly keeps giving. Yes, there is some money involved, but I think if you spend time with a coach, you will learn those lessons and use the knowledge to further improvement down the road. Obviously proper positioning is the first thing to do, but all the aero stuff will give you a limited return, whereas a coach's lessons will continue to pay dividends. For example, the longer you ride with an aero-helmet will not make you increasingly faster. The longer you train with a coach, the faster you will ultimately be.

I do disagree with the statemets about the powermeter. It's a tri-bike and a solid training tool is an upgrade, whatever form it comes in. Maybe it is semantics, but I think many here. The tri-bike is a third of the whole event. It's all part of the same equation. If you can do something on your tri-bike that improves your run, wouldn't you consider that an upgrade on your tri-bike? Like going from a converted road bike to a fitted tri-bike? I think I might...
    2007-11-02 1:36 PM
    in reply to: #1035276

User image

Coach
    Boston, MA
    D.Z. - 2007-11-02 1:17 PM
    amiine - 2007-11-01 2:02 PM

NateC - 2007-10-31 11:59 PM I'm sorry but I have to disagree with the general direction of the thread. I agree with fitting being number 1. An optimized position will gain the most speed for the least amount of money that you can possibly find. An aero helmet is a good number 2 choice. You'll gain speed no matter what from having one, how much speed depends on the fit and discipline to keep your head in position. 1-2 mph is not unreasonable. Wheels should be next. Wheels will add speed as well. Guaranteed. How much will depend on wheel selection. 1-2mph here is not unreasonable either. A power meter is not an upgrade to your bicycle. It's a data collection device. It alone will not make you go faster. You won't see any IMMEDIATE returns on your investment. There is no question that power will allow you to train smarter once you have done the requisite research to understand the data and how to use it to your advantage, but a powermeter alone will not make you faster. Coaching is one of the least cost effective ways to get faster in MY opinion. There is more than enough information out there on what it takes to get faster. Generally speaking, the one thing that coaching does is forces people to spend more time in the saddle than they otherwise would. With a little attention and homework on what intensity you should be riding at during your training schedule and a little effort to find group rides in your area you could save the money on coaching and improve the same amount.

I was going to post a lengthy reply about some of your opinions, but after reading your paragraphs about the aero-helmet and aero-wheels I figured it was going to be pointless. According to you, next week I should expect to avg 27-28 mph for 56 Mi with my cool LG rocket helmet and my disc/tri spoke wheel combo, YAY!

Wow Jorge, that's a pretty unprofessional response on BEGINNER Triathlete.
    really? did I miss the memo in which sarcasm is now prohibited in BT?

2007-11-02 2:13 PM
    in reply to: #1035313

User image

Pro
    Melbourne FL
    Gold member

Hey I found out today what the best upgrade for a TRI Bike is...one that the price is so right you just gotta do it! Money mouth

Check this out, My new chiropractor is going to sell me a pair of American Classics 58mm carbon tubular's for $500. He's an Ironman triathlete that had a nasty hip injury 2 years ago and had to stop training and racing and he's selling off his garage of bikes and related bike stuff. We've been having some good conversations my last 3 visits and he sprung this deal on me today. 3 years old and less than 500 miles on them, mostly from his friends as he only used them twice before he got hurt, never been crashed or ridden on other than races!

2007-11-02 3:13 PM
    in reply to: #1033161

User image

Veteran
    dgunthert - 2007-11-01 12:00 PM

snowriderinfl - 2007-10-31 7:12 PM

Since I am a newbie my .02 is probably worth, oh .00001. But here it goes.

After I put some miles on my bike I went back into the shop to have it re-fit (turns out the saddle was too far back and my knees were behind the spindle). Anyway, I was discussing this with the tech and the conversation turned to wheels.

His opinion was not to invest in aero wheels until I can average 24-25mph. He went on to say that any gains at lower speeds would not be great and when you take into account cross winds, aero wheels could hurt your time.

Disclaimer: the following was not in any shape or form my opinion or the opinion of anything related to me, other then that tech that did my fitting... yada yada yada

This is going to be harsh, but is absolutely not directed at you: The guy at the bike shop is a complete moron.

First, the location of your knee in relation to the spindle doesn't mean a damn thing, especially on a tri bike. What matters is the hip/torso and torso/arm angles that are established by your position. Those angles should be consistent regardless of how low you go in front. Check Dan Empfield's articles on fit at slowtwitch.com. They make it pretty clear why the whole knee over the spindle thing is useless.

Second, the idea that aero wheels aren't worth it unless you can average 24-25 mph displays even more ignorance than the fit issue. It is true that wind resistance increases exponentially with speed and that aero savings will result in a greater percentage savings the faster you go. However, actual net savings will actually be higher for slower speed riders.

wheel.

I don't mean this to come off as harsh, but if it does, so be it.

After re-reading this thread, I now understand why you the the focal point of everyone's argument. The first and only point I am going to make is that you are very good at misquoting and using misleading information and I, for one, do not like being misquoted.

I will use my original post and your reply for my example.

1) In regards the Dan Empfields article titled "Proper Bike Fit for Tri-athletes" published April 2003. No where in his article does he state, as you put it, "...the whole knee over the spindle thing is useless." The topic only comes up once. It is contained in a letter to Dan asking a question about knee placement over the spindle, along with a bad experience the writer of the letter had. Dan Empfield uses the letter in his article to help make his point about creating a proper aero position on a ROAD bike. Let me repeat that... ON A ROAD BIKE. His point being about proper positioning and using the proper equipment, such as short aero bars on a road bike. Sure he talks about angles on a tri bike as you stated, however, knee placement has nothing to do with that part of the article. Re-read the article.

Now that I have shown how you misquoted your source, how dare you call my tech a moron. If you truly read the article, then you might have been able to ascertain that I am a newbie and riding a road bike, thus am using that type of geometry(for full disclosure, I am riding a road bike that has been properly fitted for a tri-geometry that my body can handle at this point in my fittness). That being said, my tech was correct in what he did in relation to knee placement. It is worth stating that in the article Dan recommends a road bike for a newbie for a variety of reasons, as long as it is fit properly.

As a side note, the article gives great advice to the question "road bike or tri-bike"? I think every newbie should read this when trying to decided. So thank you for the article.

http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/bikefit.html

2) I don't think I really need to continue. It is not my purpose to tear you apart, but when you do reference other posts or outside sources please do not misquote or mislead. There are a lot of new people on this site that value your opinion and believe what you say.

-S

2007-11-02 4:57 PM
    in reply to: #1035529

User image

Elite
    Austin, TX
    Gold member
    I didn't misquote the article or mislead anyone about it. I certainly didn't misquote you and would very much like to know why you think I did. I did say that having the knee over the spindle didn't mean anything and pointed to a very respected source to back that up.

I never claimed that what I wrote about knee/spindle relationship was a quote from the article. What I attempted to imply was that if you understood the basics of what Dan espouses (including in the article you linked to), that's the inevitable conclusion.

Here's one of the most recent versions of Dan's fit article (there's another version, but it's broken up into 10 different parts):
    http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/bikefit06.html

If you would like an exact quote from it:
    "You can also see from the photo that "knee over pedal spindle (KOPS) can be thrown out the window for this application (tri bike fit) because Swedish pro triathlete Jonas Colting (pictured) is riding a very steep position (80 degrees or thereabouts), and his knee is going to be well in front of the pedal spindle."

You'll also notice regarding the letter you mention that he completely ignores the question the guy asks because the knee/spindle position is irrelevant to proper fit. By the way, the guy in the letter was on a tri bike (Litespeed), and Dan used it as an example of someone who might be better off using a slacker, road bike geometry. Still doesn't have anything to do with knee/spindle.

That's not to say that in fitting an aero position on a road bike, your knee won't end up over the spindle. The point is that it doesn't mean anything if it does or does not.

So, no, your tech was not correct in what he did with your knee placement if it didn't come as a simple byproduct of the rest of the fit process. The fact that he even mentioned it to you makes it seem like that it was an end unto itself. If it came as a byproduct of the rest of the fit process, there's no reason to even refer to it because it's meaningless. It's kind of like saying, "I had to change the seat position in my car. It turns out my knee was too far behind the gear shift." The gear shift has nothing to do with properly adjusting the seat, so why even mention it as a reference point? If I misinterpreted what took place, I sincerely apologize for that.

I won't retract the statement that the tech is a moron, though, based solely on his comment about wheels. Check the results of a few local tri's. Regardless of the distance, you'll likely find that that 24-25 mph would put you close to the top of your AG and well up amongst the pros. Saying you need to be there before you think about getting aero wheels is ignorant. Whether or not their worth the investment is a personal question. But even at lower speeds and very high yaw angles, they'll perform, at worst, the same as a non-aero rim. That's a generalized statement, by the way, and not necessarily true for every single rim at every wind speed and yaw angle. Hopefully, the rest of this conversation has at least convinced you of that.

Edited by dgunthert 2007-11-02 5:01 PM
    2007-11-02 5:24 PM

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
    The Road Back
    Gold member
    2007-11-02 5:29 PM

User image

Pro
    MAC-opolis

I think I'll go ride some more in order to get faster.  Call me old fashioned.

2007-11-02 8:00 PM
    in reply to: #1035654

User image

Veteran
    dgunthert - 2007-11-02 5:57 PM

I didn't misquote the article or mislead anyone about it. I certainly didn't misquote you and would very much like to know why you think I did. I did say that having the knee over the spindle didn't mean anything and pointed to a very respected source to back that up.

I never claimed that what I wrote about knee/spindle relationship was a quote from the article. What I attempted to imply was that if you understood the basics of what Dan espouses (including in the article you linked to), that's the inevitable conclusion.

Here's one of the most recent versions of Dan's fit article (there's another version, but it's broken up into 10 different parts):
    http://www.slowtwitch.com/mainheadings/techctr/bikefit06.html

If you would like an exact quote from it:
    "You can also see from the photo that "knee over pedal spindle (KOPS) can be thrown out the window for this application (tri bike fit) because Swedish pro triathlete Jonas Colting (pictured) is riding a very steep position (80 degrees or thereabouts), and his knee is going to be well in front of the pedal spindle."

You'll also notice regarding the letter you mention that he completely ignores the question the guy asks because the knee/spindle position is irrelevant to proper fit. By the way, the guy in the letter was on a tri bike (Litespeed), and Dan used it as an example of someone who might be better off using a slacker, road bike geometry. Still doesn't have anything to do with knee/spindle.

That's not to say that in fitting an aero position on a road bike, your knee won't end up over the spindle. The point is that it doesn't mean anything if it does or does not.

So, no, your tech was not correct in what he did with your knee placement if it didn't come as a simple byproduct of the rest of the fit process. The fact that he even mentioned it to you makes it seem like that it was an end unto itself. If it came as a byproduct of the rest of the fit process, there's no reason to even refer to it because it's meaningless. It's kind of like saying, "I had to change the seat position in my car. It turns out my knee was too far behind the gear shift." The gear shift has nothing to do with properly adjusting the seat, so why even mention it as a reference point? If I misinterpreted what took place, I sincerely apologize for that.

I won't retract the statement that the tech is a moron, though, based solely on his comment about wheels. Check the results of a few local tri's. Regardless of the distance, you'll likely find that that 24-25 mph would put you close to the top of your AG and well up amongst the pros. Saying you need to be there before you think about getting aero wheels is ignorant. Whether or not their worth the investment is a personal question. But even at lower speeds and very high yaw angles, they'll perform, at worst, the same as a non-aero rim. That's a generalized statement, by the way, and not necessarily true for every single rim at every wind speed and yaw angle. Hopefully, the rest of this conversation has at least convinced you of that.

OK truce...

All I want to do is train... Give me a year or two and I will call you out on the course.. just kidding.

You are correct about the spindle knee thing...it was a comment he made after readjusting my saddle.

Anyways, Thanks for the articles, they are a great resource.

-Steven
    2007-11-03 12:53 PM
    in reply to: #1035787

User image

Elite
    Austin, TX
    Gold member
    Deal.

Now get out and ride.
    New Thread
    General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Best Upgrade for a TRI Bike - Rss Feed  

of 3