United States
63F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 50m 12s
Overall Rank = 14/41
Age Group = F40-49
Age Group Rank = 1/7
Pre-race routine:

I woke up and ate breakfast (toast with peanut butter and a banana). Then I got dressed. Then I packed a bag with my race items (including fuel belt) and a change of clothes for after the race (it was supposed to rain, so I wanted dry clothes).
Event warmup:

After I registered for the race, I walked around some. I did some light stretching. Not much of a warm-up.
Run
  • 1h 50m 12s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a very small local race. There were 41 people for the half marathon (23 women and 18 men) and 23 people for the 5k. I was concerned that this wasn't going to be a good race because the brochure stated that they would only have 2 water stations! I decided to carry my fuel belt with me for this race to make sure I had enough fluids. Since it was an out and back course, the 2 water stations were actually 4, but I was still happy I had brought my fuel belt. I am used to drinking every 2 miles and wanted to stick to that routine. Other than the number of water stations, the race was actually well run and they had great snacks after the race.

I was still having problems with my legs and I hadn't run more than 10 miles in the last month, so I had planned to take it easy and use the race as a training run. I ended up running it much faster than a training run though (just my competitive nature). I didn't have any trouble with my legs, but I could never seem to make my legs run the pace I was wanting either. The course was a bit hilly. There were only a couple of steep hills (short). But most of the course seemed to be either a long uphill or a long downhill. There were no flat sections. It wasn't my best time for a half marathon, but it wasn't too bad either.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, other than try to remain injury free for races in the future!
Post race
Warm down:

I walked around a lot waiting for the other racers to finish. Then I did some stretching and talked to some of the other runners as we waited for the awards to be given out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Not enough training lately due to injury.

Event comments:

This was a great race (well run) considering the entry fee was only $20!

Last updated: 2007-10-27 12:00 AM
Running
01:50:12 | 13.1 miles | 08m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 14/41
Performance: Average
Course: The course began and ended in Fantasy Lake Park. The course was basically from the Park to Lake Upchurch and back. There were a couple of other turn-offs with deadend turn-arounds during the out and back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes