Dallas Athletes
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 06m 6s
Overall Rank = 11/226
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/25
Pre-race routine:

I got the majority of my stuff packed up the night before and was in bed by 9:00pm. I had the alarm set for 4:00am. Got up and took my time getting ready and had an almond butter sandwich. I was on my way to the race site a little after 5:30am.
Event warmup:

After getting my transition area set up, I milled around for awhile and then hit the pool for a 250 meter warm-up. Swimming in the 50 meter pool did not seem as wierd as I thought it would.
Swim
  • 06m
  • 300 meters
  • 02m / 100 meters
Comments:

I had my tempo trainer set at 1.05 for this swim. I sure wish I had a 50 meter pool near the house. It was great swimming the extra 25 meters before having to turn around. Anytime I can average 2 min/100 meters, I have to be happy with that. I seeded myself pretty good as I only passed one person and no one passed me.
What would you do differently?:

Pay attention to how we need to get out of the pool at the end. I just assumed we would swim to the wall and get out. We were suppose to exit at the ladder and I swam by it by a little bit.
Transition 1
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

2/25 in AG. I did not wear socks to save a little time. Shoes went on fine, sunglasses on, helmet on and run with the bike to the mount line. I had sprayed anti-fog on my sunglasses but they were all fogged up from the start. I just kept them down at the end of my nose, but it is a little hairy jumping on the bike with your vision impaired.

I need to find a way to keep the sunglasses from fogging up. I welcome any suggestions.
Bike
  • 36m
  • 12 miles
  • 20.00 mile/hr
Comments:

It took about 1/2 mile before my sunglasses unfogged enough to push them up. While I was waiting for them to unfog, I hit a stray lane divider marker and it knocked out my mph sensor. So I did this ride by feel and HR. I wanted to keep my HR under 155 for the ride. I did not put on any extra clothing assuming that I still had enough "Iowa Blood" to stay warm. I calculated that the wind chill was in the high 30s whenever I was going over 20 mph. I just tried to ignore the cold and tell myself that I only had to deal with it for about 30 minutes. The course was a little hillier than I was expecting. I am not saying that the course was hilly, I just thought it was going to be flatter and faster. There was a little confusion at the end of the first lap. The cones were layed out as if you had to turn left. However, you had to turn right and go between the cones. They needed a volunteer right at the corner directing the bikers. The second lap went by pretty fast. The sun started to get high enough so there was more sun on the course. I was pleased that no one passed me during the bike. So I start getting prepared for the end of the bike. I reach down to undo the velcro, on my right shoe, and I can not grip it because my fingers are too cold. I finally get it done on the third try. My toes were also cold so the feet did not come out of the shoes as quickly as normal. Now, the transition is coming up too soon. I get my left foot out in one try but I am going down the "bike out" lane because I was preoccupied getting my foot out of the shoe. A volunteer yells at me to get in the correct lane and I steer between to cones into the correct lane. So now I am in the correct lane with my feet on top of the shoes. I really do not know what happened during the next 2 seconds. I either had a petite mall siezure or fell into a momentary coma. Anyways, I am awoken from my coma/siezure by a voluteer yelling at me to dismount. I was so startled that I slammed on both brakes. For the next 1/4 of a second I thought to myself, "Craig, there is no way you can go flying over the front of your bike". The next 3/4 of a second I thought to myself, "Craig, just relax and let it happen". So over the handlebars I go. I land on my back and the bike falls on top of me spilling GU2O drink all over me. I took a moment to assess that nothing hurt, lifted up the bike, got to my feet, and ran to my transition spot. I really do not think I lost more than 5 secs because I was up on my feet so fast.

Wear some gloves and skip the crashing part.
Transition 2
  • 01m 3s
Comments:

5/25 in AG. Considering the crash, T2 went well. I had to take a little extra time pulling the touge up on my shoes, again because of the cold fingers, but I did a good job of just grabbing my visor and number belt and putting them on as I ran.

Nothing
Run
  • 22m
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 04s  min/mile
Comments:

Again the cold fingers gave me hell trying to unhook my race belt. It took 3-4 trys before I could get it on. My plan was to keep my HR under 160 until half way and then let it go the rest of the way. It took about 1/2 a mile before I felt like I had my running legs. Even with my legs feeling good, the cold toes kept me from feeling really comfortable until the turn around. It felt so nice when the blood finaly started to recirculate to my toes. During the run, I saw Andy, Doug, Todd, and Jen. I felt really good on the second half of the run and was able to put forth a good sprint to the finish line.

Nothing. I was only 12 seconds off my personal best, for a 5K, and that was done on the first leg of a duathlon.
Post race
Warm down:

Relaxed talking to Andy and Ken. Then later hung out with Doug and BT lurkers Jen(B&L rep), Todd, and Jenny. When I checked the results, I was surprised to see that I was second in my AG. It was not until the awards ceremony that I realized that I would be first in my AG since the guy ahead of me was first place in the Masters Division. If I would have broken a bone on the crash I would have pulled off a "David Barron", instead I just pulled off a "Clint"

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I guess I could have saved a few seconds without the crash.

On a side note, is anyone else amused by the fact that my swim, bike, and run times were all exactly to the minute?

Event comments:

Unfortunately, my perception of this race was that it was very cheaply run. If you want to re-use numbers, re-use them in the same race the following year. The awards were made of styrophome. They looked like something you would get at Party City for $0.79 each. How about something else to go along with the pancakes? Maybe some bacon? That's right, you can get away with making pancakes for about $0.03 each. They could have used several more volunteers also.

Last updated: 2007-10-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:00 | 300 meters | 02m / 100meters
Age Group: 9/25
Overall: 54/226
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca Mantard
Course: 3 laps in a 50 meter pool. You had to switch lanes after each length.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:05
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:36:00 | 12 miles | 20.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/25
Overall: 12/226
Wind: Little
Course: 2 lap course around Keller.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:03
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:22:00 | 03.11 miles | 07m 04s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/25
Overall: 15/226
Course: Concrete trail around park
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 1

{postbutton}
2007-10-31 11:56 AM

User image

Expert
Wylie, TX
Subject: Monster Triathlon

2007-10-31 12:47 PM
in reply to: #1031550

User image

Expert
Longview, TX
Subject: RE: Monster Triathlon

Nice race, Crash!  Good to see you didn't lose too much time due to the mishap in T2.  You nailed all three legs!

Congrats!

2007-10-31 1:27 PM

User image

Champion
Out running or enjoying a fine glass of red...
Another excellent race report & race! I know its wrong to laugh about your crash, but I couldn't help it. Glad to hear there was no major damage and that it didn't prevent you from ROCKING THE RACE!

Congrats!
Kristen
2007-10-31 1:34 PM

User image

Pro
McKinney, TX
Is that a new, faster version of the flying dismount?

Nice job on the hardware!
2007-10-31 3:49 PM

User image

Champion
the colony texas

www.youtube.com/manflyingoverbikeint2.com

here is the link.

ok I made it up, I just thought you rounded off the times so there were all even. that is a bit monster eerily that it worked out that way.

I 'm not sure if I go fast enough to crash,  but great race you are definatley getting quite fast

2007-10-31 4:05 PM

User image

Champion
Butler
Great race Clint, I mean Craig.  It was good to meet you.  The times are a big scary though.

2007-10-31 8:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Austin, Texas
Great job Craig! Just as we thought....Clint's disease is contagious. How long before we have to start tracking your races for our own safety????

Mash on Monster Man.
2007-10-31 9:16 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, TX

Nice job, Baryshnikov!  Now, if you could just finish off that somersaut and land on your feet, you've have a move more famous than the Fosbury Flop.

Glad you weren't hurt.  (Way to sacrifice your body to cushion the bike, too!)  Congrats on a well-earned podium spot.  Was this a USAT race?  If so, you're 1st place spot qualifies you for the Sprint Nationals next year!

For a minute there, I thought I was going to have to sick the copyright lawyers on you.  ("Hey, didn't I already write this story?", but then you cleared it up at the end.  Instead, I'll let you and Clint wrangle over the legal details and royalty payments. 

Edited by davidb 2007-10-31 9:29 PM
2007-10-31 11:36 PM

User image

Planet earth

It's all abou the "Iowa Blood!"

Glad you're alive.

2007-11-01 9:57 AM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
HAHAHAA! You pulled a "Clint". Too funny! Well, at least you or the bike didn't get hurt. And you went on to win your AG! Wonderful! Congratulations! Sorry the award wasn't up to par.

2007-11-01 4:13 PM

User image

Champion
Fairport, NY

"skip the crashing part".

Ok, gotta put that one in the race plan for next year.

1st in AG. Congrats. 

2007-11-01 7:23 PM

User image

Expert
McKinney, TX
Well, I love the fact that you mentioned wearing gloves first, THEN not crash!  Priorities, priorities.
2007-11-01 8:17 PM
in reply to: #1034131

User image

Regular
Flower Mound, TX
Nice race. My friends mentioned someone went over tea kettle but I didn't realize it was you.
2007-11-02 9:12 AM

User image

Veteran
Texas
Nice going, Craig! I would have loved to have seen your flying dismount! I have been wondering how to do it properly!

Excellent job on your AG win!!

I agree that their awards sure are cheap- styrofoam for Monster, vinyl records for Disco! I didn't do Monster this year, because I didn't want to fork out that much money for such a cheap race! (I also didn't want to freeze my butt off! Although, that might have been better than last year's rain.)
2007-11-05 3:36 PM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas

I enjoyed reading your RR.  Congratulations on the hardware finish! 

Sounds like you gave new meaning to the "flying dismount".  Glad you weren't hurt.

On a side note, is anyone else amused by the fact that my swim, bike, and run times were all exactly to the minute?

That's just wierd.  What are the chances of that happening?

TJ

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Monster Triathlon Rss Feed